Helsinki or Tallinn?

Which port of call and why? (during Jun/Jul)  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which port of call and why? (during Jun/Jul)

• Helsinki, Finland
    • Tallinn, Estonia

I'll post a brief about what we did in each during our Scandinavian cruise.

In Helsinki we visted the open air market and the town square. We got some great things to take home for the family at the market and the church in the town square was very nice. We followed that with a visit to Porvoo, one of their oldest towns and a horse farm. We had a great meal at the main farmhouse and enjoyed an hour of walking/shopping in Porvoo. While those things were very nice the main highlight was the Rock Church, which was absolutely breathtaking. Basically after having an architecture competition to build a church on top of the rock, someone came up with the idea to blow a hole in the rock and build down. They kept the stone theme throughout the decoration process and topped it off with a giant copper dome. Many people on this thread talk about how boring Helsinki was, and I completely disagree.

That being said, if I had to pick I'd probably pick Tallinn. It was far more different than any other place we saw on the trip. Walking around their medieval old town was great for a medieval buff like myself. We also took a trip to Rakvere to see a spirits museum and an old castle ruins for a tour and a delicious meal in the courtyard (as a note for people interested in sampling different foods, this was the most unique culinary experience we had on our cruise). We have some great pictures of our group climbing old castle staircases and playing with the weapons/armor they had there. I don't know if there was any one thing as impressive as the Rock Church in Estonia, but the experience in Estonia was one of our favorites. Estonia has a very unique history, a very different language, Tallinn is full of charm, and I highly recommend a trip out to the castle if that's your thing.

If a walk back through time doesn't sound that interesting, than pick Helsinki, just for the Rock Church if not for anything else. But Tallinn's charm can't be beat.

Now I am confused on what to do. already booked DCL that stops in Helsinki on deck 7 with inside stateroom. BAsed on what everyone is saying, Talinn would be more interesting. If I switch to the DCL cruise that includes TAlinn instead then all that is available is deck 1 with inside stateroom. for same price. This would only be our second cruise - kids will be 11, 13, 14. I really wanted Helsinski but now I don't know what to do. What do you all think??

Now I am confused on what to do. already booked DCL that stops in Helsinki on deck 7 with inside stateroom. BAsed on what everyone is saying, Talinn would be more interesting. If I switch to the DCL cruise that includes TAlinn instead then all that is available is deck 1 with inside stateroom. for same price. This would only be our second cruise - kids will be 11, 13, 14. I really wanted Helsinski but now I don't know what to do. What do you all think??

You will enjoy yourself in Helsinki. The original poster asked for a preference, and for those of us who have experienced both, Tallinn handily ranks above Helsinki. Helsinki is a beautiful city. The outdoor market, Suomenlinna island, and the Rock Church are all things your kids will enjoy.

Stay the course!

I actually now have a room on hold with another cruise that goes to Talinn instead of Helsinki. I have it till the 23rd. What do you recommend? OUr first trip to the northern capitals - with 3 kids.

I suggest you go to the library tonight and get a book on each city/country and look it over with your kids to see what they would be interested in. You and your family are the ones that have to ultimately make the final decision on where you cruise goes. There are also a couple of threads on here with very good links to both cities that you can look over.

We were fortunate enough to go on our 1st Baltics cruise with stops in both cities so it's easy for us to make the decision to go on a cruise that stops in Tallinn again.

I thank you all for your responses. It appears that Tallinn is the stop of choice of those posting and taking the poll.

We decided to go with the Helsinki cruise instead because of the timing of the cruise (dates fit better) and we will be hooking up with friends we made on our '07 Med cruise.

Tallinn does sound more interesting due to the medieval feel of the city, hopefully we can visit sometime.

Once again, thanks to all of you.

Now I am confused on what to do. already booked DCL that stops in Helsinki on deck 7 with inside stateroom. Based on what everyone is saying, Talinn would be more interesting. If I switch to the DCL cruise that includes TAlinn instead then all that is available is deck 1 with inside stateroom. for same price. This would only be our second cruise - kids will be 11, 13, 14. I really wanted Helsinski but now I don't know what to do. What do you all think??

Emma, I can't help you decide which cruise/port to choose, however do not let a deck 1 stateroom scare you away. We have cruised the Magic twice and stayed in staterooms on decks 1 and 2 and found we actually preferred these to similar staterooms on higher levels. They are ideally located for dis/embarking at ports. While (hot and sweaty) people were waiting for elevators, we were in our staterooms having snacks and pre-dinner beverages! :D

Cheers!

You will have a great time in Helsinki. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. It was raining HARD the day we were there, and that kind of put a damper on things. But I think if the weather had been nice, we would have probably liked it better than Tallinn as we would have gone to the fortress. We saw it going in and out of port, and it looked really interesting.

Hi, I love both cities too but have to say that if I were traveling with kids I'd go to Helsinki, hands down. The city has so much for kids to do -- watersports, the zoo (might be too sedate for your older boys), amusement park. You can rent bikes, go on fast boat rides, etc. The Suomenlinna fortress (have to take a quick boat ride to get there that's half the fun) is also a cool spot.

There's a tour you can take (or at least you could last year) where you choose an interest (music, for one) and then a local resident takes you on a personalized tour. If you want more info drop me a note and I'll try to track it down (editor@cruisecritic.com).

Here's our port profile on Helsinki: http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=86. And one of our editors had a ball there writing a piece on Helsinki's wackier side; it's here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/article.cfm?ID=160.

Tallinn is medieval and delightful but there's not a whole lot to do there other than walk around and oogle the streetscape, have a beer or a coffee, and see some monuments. Here's our port profile: http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=87.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

I know nothing about either place, so please tell a little about both!

Cruise is 12 nights early/mid July on Disney's Magic

Two 40ish married adults and 3 boys (17, 15, & 10)

Itinerary is: Dover, Oslo, Copenhagen, Warnemunde (Berlin), St. Petersburg, Helsini or Tallinn, Stockholm, Dover

But I think you made the right choice --

CSB

I thank you all for your responses. It appears that Tallinn is the stop of choice of those posting and taking the poll.

We decided to go with the Helsinki cruise instead because of the timing of the cruise (dates fit better) and we will be hooking up with friends we made on our '07 Med cruise.

Tallinn does sound more interesting due to the medieval feel of the city, hopefully we can visit sometime.

Once again, thanks to all of you.

Emma, I can't help you decide which cruise/port to choose, however do not let a deck 1 stateroom scare you away. We have cruised the Magic twice and stayed in staterooms on decks 1 and 2 and found we actually preferred these to similar staterooms on higher levels. They are ideally located for dis/embarking at ports. While (hot and sweaty) people were waiting for elevators, we were in our staterooms having snacks and pre-dinner beverages! :D

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm going to have to vote for Helsinki as well, and not just because I live there and can watch the cruise ships come and go from my balcony :)

Don't get me wrong, Tallin is nice, but there is a LOT more to do in Helsinki, especially for kids.

• 2 years later...
What a plan. Enjoyed your presentation. Well done!

Are you a professional? My husband just watched and we both commented on the quality and steadiness of your presentations. Now we are going to look for the others.

Helsinki ~ Tallinn WOW what a difficult choice!

TALLINN - we docked there last July early on a Sunday morning, got right into town and found it delightful! Beautiful buildings and empty streets - great for photos! Walked to upper town, had coffee during a short downpour and then returned to the lower part - by that time filled with, you guessed it, tourists!!! It wa slike a different city!! Had a fabulous luncha t Olde Hansa - if you're into medieval you have to eat here! Yes, its touristy but so is the whole town! And their menu/food is more authentic than the neighboring Italian restaurant! I have a feeling that my sons - at an earlier age - would have really enjoyed the city!

HELSINKI - we spent most of the day on Suomenlinna Island - a fabulous, fun place that houses a fortress with a very interesting museum - DH is into History but I also enjoyed the displays in the msueum and I think kids would also. DH enjoyed the U-Boat like sub that he could go into. We decided not to paly int he tunnels - leave that to the kids - but we heard that was fun also. There was a pub-style cafe there were we had a great lunch before returning (via ferry) to the open-air market by the port. A walk through the park with ice cream ended a fun day. Only complaint - too hot!

Im my humble opinion both cities are very kid-friendly so check out what your kids would like and then just pick one or the other AND have a great cruise!!

Are you a professional? My husband just watched and we both commented on the quality and steadiness of your presentations. Now we are going to look for the others.

I sincerely thank you for that thought but the truth is I couldn't be less of a 'professional'.

Today's camcorders are very easy to hold steady and the internet makes the factual research simple so a monkey with enough time on his hands could do this sort of thing.

I'm sure you will have the most wonderful time on your Baltic adventure, as all the ports are fascinating and St P is mind-boggling.

All the best, Tony

Archived