Singles match

marvholly

Anyone used this program? How did it work out?

I lost my husband 8/03, cruised with daughter 3/04 but she is a) getting married, b) a teacher (premium $$). Can't afford to sail single (see a) and will want some kind of vacation and love to cruise.

I've used the single share program twice and found it successful both times. Enough so that I've signed up for it again next year!

Both times were long cruises---33 and 34 days, and next time is 35 days. I say this to indicate that it can be tougher to get along with a total stranger for a lenghy period, but it can work. And if it can work for a long time, think how easy it can be for a shorter cruise! Anyone ought to be able to get along for a week or two.

It does take good will and an effort to compromise when sharing a cabin. As far as I'm concerned neatness counts; it could be disastrous if a "Felix Unger" and "Oscar Madison" were matched, but otherwise the $$$ $aving$ are well worth the minor inconvience of not being alone in the cabin.

My sympathies on the loss of your husband. I can tell you that at first cruising alone can be a bit upsetting, but it does get easier each time. My husband and I loved to cruise and I've now sailed 140 days in the five years I've been alone!

Anyone used this program? How did it work out?

I lost my husband 8/03, cruised with daughter 3/04 but she is a) getting married, b) a teacher (premium $$). Can't afford to sail single (see a) and will want some kind of vacation and love to cruise.

Good luck to you. Who knows? This roomate might just turn out to be a wonderful friend!

I think you are taking a BIG risk. It would be much more fun to coordinate your vacation plans with a friend from home. From time to time cruise lines offer single accommodations without a supplement during off-peak times ... might be worth further research. The Prinsendam even has single cabins.

I did a single share on the Maasdam in September of this year. I had a great time. They did not give me a roommate. I really enjoyed having the cabin to myself. I don't know if I would want to chance this on other cruise lines . Because many of Holland's passengers are older, I felt that there was less of a chance, that I would get a roommate that would stay up all night. If I wouldn't have immediate family to go with, I would definitely do this again. You can do what you want to do, and don't have to consider your travel companions wishes of what to do. Give it a try!

I'm single and a widow too. Sorry for your loss. One suggestion I have is that you use the Purser's Desk to lock up your valuables until you see what sort of person you have. I have always paid the single supp as I am disabled and do not want someone who thinks they have to care for me. I have a great time.

I have done a guaranteed share three times on HAL, on week long cruises only. Twice I was given a roommate with whom I got along, and the third time on my cruise last April on the Zuiderdam I had the cabin to myself, although I booked the share program. I am planning to do the guaranteed share again on my next cruise. It isn't always possible to find someone whose travel plans match, so the share program is a good way for me to avoid the single supplement.

Archived