Which NCL Restuarant?

momofmeg

I've been a Le Bistro fan since my first NCL cruise when it was a new concept (and $5 per person!). We ate there all but one night of our cruise since we didn't like our assigned tablemates in the dining room (wow, that was pre-Freestyle, I'm a dinosaur) :eek: Le Bistro is a must for us on all our trips. We also really enjoy the sushi restaurant -- haven't tried Teppanyaki yet, but we're hoping to try that next April.

ok, you remember exactly what we do: $5.00 and yes, it is still at the top of our list. though we haven't cruised the Pearl, I would rate any of the Italian restaurants high when you think of the price. We have done Cagney's 3 or 4 times, DH loves it, I have been a tiny bit disappointed. Of course for comfort food don't forget Blue Lagoon. As for Mexican food, well, some think the Mexican dining rooms are good, being raised iN So California, lived 13 years in Texas and 7 in NM, I can think of lots of places with better food than any ship.

Nita

We liked Cagney's. We prefer the menu. We did have a problem with our particular server for dinner though, he was never to be found although several other servers kept coming by. I doubt he's still around if this continued.

Since we were in a suite, the breakfast and lunches in Cagney's were great. We enjoyed them immensely.

We did not like the Italian restaurant on the Pearl at all. I have to say it was the one thing we didn't like about the Pearl. I don't think we had to pay an extra fee for it. Still, I wouldn't bother.

I don't think we tried Le Bistro on the Pearl. But I enjoyed it on the Dawn.

ok, you remember exactly what we do: $5.00 and yes, it is still at the top of our list. though we haven't cruised the Pearl, I would rate any of the Italian restaurants high when you think of the price. We have done Cagney's 3 or 4 times, DH loves it, I have been a tiny bit disappointed. Of course for comfort food don't forget Blue Lagoon. As for Mexican food, well, some think the Mexican dining rooms are good, being raised iN So California, lived 13 years in Texas and 7 in NM, I can think of lots of places with better food than any ship.

Nita

Nita, around here, (Atlanta, GA area) Mexican is where we go to eat "cheap," as we have tons of Mexican here and so those restuarants have LOTS of competition- but we like Mexican, so we still may go there some. I like the advice of the poster who said, check the menus in the regular restuarant before deciding on an alternate. Now I am SURE we will book Cagney's, Japanese, and Le Bistro, as soon as we board. But other nights, if we do not like the looks of the menu, we could go to the Mexican or Italian.

Any more advice you can give me? I know NCL is your fav line-but we are first timers-what time is the show? I understand NCL only has one.

We liked Cagney's. We prefer the menu. We did have a problem with our particular server for dinner though, he was never to be found although several other servers kept coming by. I doubt he's still around if this continued.

Since we were in a suite, the breakfast and lunches in Cagney's were great. We enjoyed them immensely.

We did not like the Italian restaurant on the Pearl at all. I have to say it was the one thing we didn't like about the Pearl. I don't think we had to pay an extra fee for it. Still, I wouldn't bother.

I don't think we tried Le Bistro on the Pearl. But I enjoyed it on the Dawn.

From what I understand, it is only recently that NCL has put a fee on the Italian and Mexican-but it is cheap-considerably lesss than than Cagney's.

Nita, around here, (Atlanta, GA area) Mexican is where we go to eat "cheap," as we have tons of Mexican here and so those restuarants have LOTS of competition- but we like Mexican, so we still may go there some. I like the advice of the poster who said, check the menus in the regular restuarant before deciding on an alternate. Now I am SURE we will book Cagney's, Japanese, and Le Bistro, as soon as we board. But other nights, if we do not like the looks of the menu, we could go to the Mexican or Italian.

Any more advice you can give me? I know NCL is your fav line-but we are first timers-what time is the show? I understand NCL only has one.

On the previous NCL cruises we have sailed there has always been two shows per night.

On the previous NCL cruises we have sailed there has always been two shows per night.

Okay a post here indicated that there was only one show and if I wanted to see the show-I needed to arrange my dinner time around it. Can you give me the times?

I remember there being more than one show... but I don't generally attend them, so you shouldn't rely on my recollection for that...

As far as dining goes, my favourite was Teppanyaki and my daughter is telling me that hers was the main Asian restaurant. We also loved Cagney's, and the chocolate dessert she had there was apparently her favourite thing to eat on the entire cruise. :) We've never eaten at LeBistro because the menu just doesn't appeal to us... and the same goes for the other specialities - or at least the menus don't appeal to us enough to forego the fare in the main dining rooms, which we also enjoy. We actually ate at the Asian restaurant at lunch on sea days so that we didn't have to give up an evening meal in the main dining room. I highly recommend it if you can handle a big lunch, and sushi is available then as well. :)

Whenever I see a thread like this, my advice is always to track down some menus and see what appeals to you. With the exception of a few grumps, the vast majority of people who dine at the specialties love what they offer, so if you see appealing items on the menu, you'll probably enjoy them. :)

if you fear missing out on a favorite dish in main dining..may i recommend

making reservation s anyway at an alternative restraunt..

they post the dinner menu shortly after lunch..check it out..if you don t

see anything interesting then you can go to the alternative dining venue..

if there s something you d like to try that evening then you cancel your

reservations..

i believe you have a couple of hr s prior to opening that you can cancel

without incuring a charge..

I like this idea in concept; it is something I often do when making travel plans - book multiple hotel rooms, rental cars, until I've figured out the best deal. Then I cancel well ahead of time, thus not leaving the vendor short a sale.

What concerns me about your suggestion, though, is that if we were to do this on a regular basis over the entire length of the cruise, the Dining folks might 'catch on' when you routinely cancel -- While technically following their rules, I would think they would note an objection to this behavior.

We're on a 13 day cruise and perhaps it would be even more noticeable. We can book up to 48 hours in advance, since we're in a balcony.

Just curious as to whether or not you have conducted this practice yourself on some cruises and, if so, whether or not the Dining Svcs people gave you any flack.

Thanks.

Nancy

Okay a post here indicated that there was only one show and if I wanted to see the show-I needed to arrange my dinner time around it. Can you give me the times?

2 shows almost nightly, sometimes the first night there is only one. You can eat when you want and still see the show, one way or the other..

Nita

Our favorite restaurant is the Asian. We love the steak terriyaki and tempura as well as the hot&sour soup. Many people enjoy the Teppanyaki where they cook at your table, but we prefer dining at a table for 2 at the adjoining restaurant.

I also enjoy the ambiance of LeBistro for a quiet romantic setting. Steak houses are not my favorite but DH likes them.

What we love most about NCL ships is dining in a different venue each night. It makes our vacation so much more fun.

Our favorite spot on Pearl is the aft bar on the top deck behind the buffet. It is a nice quiet spot when you want to read or get away from the crowds--except during breakfast or lunch because of the buffet of course. Best of all, there is a smoking and nonsmoking section and sun or shade on both sides. DH liked the two flatscreen tv's on each end of the bar so he could get caught up on all the sports scores. We would go there every night before turning in and enjoy a hot cup of tea in the moonlight. Can't wait for our Gem cruise in January because that ship also has the same aft bar area on the top deck.

Our favorite restaurant is the Asian. We love the steak terriyaki and tempura as well as the hot&sour soup. Many people enjoy the Teppanyaki where they cook at your table, but we prefer dining at a table for 2 at the adjoining restaurant.

I also enjoy the ambiance of LeBistro for a quiet romantic setting. Steak houses are not my favorite but DH likes them.

What we love most about NCL ships is dining in a different venue each night. It makes our vacation so much more fun.

Our favorite spot on Pearl is the aft bar on the top deck behind the buffet. It is a nice quiet spot when you want to read or get away from the crowds--except during breakfast or lunch because of the buffet of course. Best of all, there is a smoking and nonsmoking section and sun or shade on both sides. DH liked the two flatscreen tv's on each end of the bar so he could get caught up on all the sports scores. We would go there every night before turning in and enjoy a hot cup of tea in the moonlight. Can't wait for our Gem cruise in January because that ship also has the same aft bar area on the top deck.

Thanks for some good ideas.

I like this idea in concept; it is something I often do when making travel plans - book multiple hotel rooms, rental cars, until I've figured out the best deal. Then I cancel well ahead of time, thus not leaving the vendor short a sale.

What concerns me about your suggestion, though, is that if we were to do this on a regular basis over the entire length of the cruise, the Dining folks might 'catch on' when you routinely cancel -- While technically following their rules, I would think they would note an objection to this behavior.

We're on a 13 day cruise and perhaps it would be even more noticeable. We can book up to 48 hours in advance, since we're in a balcony.

Just curious as to whether or not you have conducted this practice yourself on some cruises and, if so, whether or not the Dining Svcs people gave you any flack.

Thanks.

Nancy

Nancy what I would like to know-as we will make reservations for Cagney's le Bistro and Asian when we board, would it be possible to get a reservation for THE DAY OF- for the Italian or Mexican. In other words if I scan the main diningroom menus and I do not like them-would it be possible to eat at the Mexican or Italian that day-or is the day of-too late to make a reservation?

Now where did you get the idea NCL was my favorite line? Only kidding of course...

my advise: go and have a good time, remember (I know you have cruised before so I don't have to tell you this) cruising is an overall experience and you get out of it, what you want...

Had a client get off a cruise yesterday (not NCL) I think I may have mentioned this: anyway they said the food was the worst they had ever had and the dining service was worse. Did they have a good time? You bet, they knew they would and did....I had another client last spring who did the Dream (2 weeks) said the food the first week sucked, but did get better the second week. They too had a great time. They loved the ports, actually loved the ship and cabins and said ther service was perfect...

Nita

Nancy what I would like to know-as we will make reservations for Cagney's le Bistro and Asian when we board, would it be possible to get a reservation for THE DAY OF- for the Italian or Mexican. In other words if I scan the main diningroom menus and I do not like them-would it be possible to eat at the Mexican or Italian that day-or is the day of-too late to make a reservation?

Now that a charge has been added my guess you should be able to get a reservation the day of, certainly if you are flexible in your eating time you should.

Nita

Now where did you get the idea NCL was my favorite line? Only kidding of course...

my advise: go and have a good time, remember (I know you have cruised before so I don't have to tell you this) cruising is an overall experience and you get out of it, what you want...

Had a client get off a cruise yesterday (not NCL) I think I may have mentioned this: anyway they said the food was the worst they had ever had and the dining service was worse. Did they have a good time? You bet, they knew they would and did....I had another client last spring who did the Dream (2 weeks) said the food the first week sucked, but did get better the second week. They too had a great time. They loved the ports, actually loved the ship and cabins and said ther service was perfect...

Nita

Food is so subjective, Nita. We loved the food on Celebrity Constellation last year but we had several post on our roll call how terrible the food was, after we returned from the cruise. One person who posted this was a "RCI loyalist" and to me their food is medicore at best, EXCEPT in the speciality restuarants-those are great on RCI. I also felt that way about the one Disney cruise I took- medicore food except at Palos- but I had no complaints with Celebrity.

Food is so subjective, Nita. We loved the food on Celebrity Constellation last year but we had several post on our roll call how terrible the food was, after we returned from the cruise. One person who posted this was a "RCI loyalist" and to me their food is medicore at best, EXCEPT in the speciality restuarants-those are great on RCI. I also felt that way about the one Disney cruise I took- medicore food except at Palos- but I had no complaints with Celebrity.

Celebrity's food has gone down hill compared to a few years ago. When we would book a Celebrity cruise in years past we could always expect food which was a cut above what we were use to eating on the mass market cruise lines. Those days are over. IMHO.

Sorry, Meg's Mom, but I haven't been on an NCL ship for years -- not since they started Freestyle. Perhaps DEEPNITE, to whom I was responding, or another recent NCL cruiser can provide you with an answer.

By the way, I also wasn't entirely clear on what you were asking -- were you asking about the day of Embarkation or any day during the trip?

Based on other postings I've read, the ability to get into the Specialty restaurants on a regular cruise day has too many variables to predict accurately (time, size of group, etc). However, it seems like there is more competition for Le Bistro and Cagney's than the two less expensive restaurants about which you were inquiring.

If you are inquiring about the day of Embarkation, I would do as DeepNite suggests and book it and cancel if you like what you see on the Main Menu.

Hopefully you'll get a more definitive answer from someone else!!

Nancy

Sorry, Meg's Mom, but I haven't been on an NCL ship for years -- not since they started Freestyle. Perhaps DEEPNITE, to whom I was responding, or another recent NCL cruiser can provide you with an answer.

By the way, I also wasn't entirely clear on what you were asking -- were you asking about the day of Embarkation or any day during the trip?

Based on other postings I've read, the ability to get into the Specialty restaurants on a regular cruise day has too many variables to predict accurately (time, size of group, etc). However, it seems like there is more competition for Le Bistro and Cagney's than the two less expensive restaurants about which you were inquiring.

If you are inquiring about the day of Embarkation, I would do as DeepNite suggests and book it and cancel if you like what you see on the Main Menu.

Hopefully you'll get a more definitive answer from someone else!!

Nancy

To make myself understood I will give an example- I get up Wed. morning-I have not booked a specialty restuarant for Wednesday evening-I check out the main restuarant menus- and I am not interested in the choices offered-could I THEN make reservations for THAT NIGHT( Wed. night) in the Italian or Mexican?

I know I can book all the reservations I want the day I board. As I said previously I plan to book 3; Cagney's, le Bistro, and the Asian.

What I do not understand is why you asked me to clarify when you say you haven't cruised NCL since freestyle? If that is true you cannot help me-But no matter- Nita already answered my question.

Celebrity's food has gone down hill compared to a few years ago. When we would book a Celebrity cruise in years past we could always expect food which was a cut above what we were use to eating on the mass market cruise lines. Those days are over. IMHO.

Kewl guy if you look at my sig-you will see my first few crusies were Carnvial and RCI, although we took HAL to Alaska in 2001 and Princess to Bermuda in 2002. I did not cruise Celebrity until 2006 and on the old Zenith-what was remarkable to me-was we did RCI Mariner fo the Seas 4 months earlier, and I noticed a BIG differance in quality of food between the 2 ships. Celebrity had MUCH better quality food in the main dinngroom. Of course we loved Chops on MOS and the Zenith did not have speciality restuarant-but I can honestly say my formal night steak-compared very agreeably to my fillet mignon that I had had at Chops.

Perhaps Celebrity has gone downhill, but it is still better than RCI, Disney, Carnival- only HAL's food compares.

As far as NCL, if the quality is as good as Princess, I will have no complaints. I know what my fare cost, and I adjust my expectations accordingly.

You know my feelings on this? Ten years ago when we took our first cruise on Carnvial, a little 4 day,we paid MORE per day for an inside cabin than we did for that transatlantic. Over all, cruise fares are MUCH less, something had to go.

Nevertheless, of the mainstream lines, Celebrity still has better food than most of the other lines.

To make myself understood I will give an example- I get up Wed. morning-I have not booked a specialty restuarant for Wednesday evening-I check out the main restuarant menus- and I am not interested in the choices offered-could I THEN make reservations for THAT NIGHT( Wed. night) in the Italian or Mexican?

I know I can book all the reservations I want the day I board. As I said previously I plan to book 3; Cagney's, le Bistro, and the Asian.

What I do not understand is why you asked me to clarify when you say you haven't cruised NCL since freestyle? If that is true you cannot help me-But no matter- Nita already answered my question.

Can everyone make "all the reservations" on embarkation day or only the suite pax? Does being a Lattitudes member matter? we'd love to make speciality rest. reserv. for the full week once we get on but didn't think we could....can we? (we have an inside cabin)

Can everyone make "all the reservations" on embarkation day or only the suite pax? Does being a Lattitudes member matter? we'd love to make speciality rest. reserv. for the full week once we get on but didn't think we could....can we? (we have an inside cabin)

I assumed you could. Other lines you can, but of course those PAX get priority and usually their butler takes care of those things for them. In our case, we will be standing in line making them ourselves.

Perhaps Nita or Kewlguy can tell us? Another thing, Nita, can we make reservations online?

Oh, yes, I can see that does look odd. I mostly clarified so that someone else would correctly answer the question you wanted addressed (figuring if I wasn't sure, perhaps they wouldn't know what information you needed either)

You've got me rethinking my own plan. I was only going to book the first night's reservation. I'm not sure I was fully aware that you could book the specialty restaurants for anything past the first 48 hours. Hmmm...

Anyhow, sorry for any confusion. Just trying to help what little I could.

Nancy

p.s. by the way, I have found that, if you ask nicely, you can get the Next Night's dinner menu at Dinner. (I believe I have done this on 4 different cruiselines over the past 7 years.) Some nights it may not be available (e.g. Embarkation night)) Thus you can give yourself a little more time to get that Reservation in. So, as in your example, you would know Tuesday night that you wanted to 'eat out' Wednesday night.

After just returning from 19 nights on the Pearl I can with confidence say that every dining room is great and all of the food delicious. We dined everywhere many times, small groups and large. The staff was very accommodating. Our absolute favorite though is Cagneys, both food and staff. Close second, Le Bistro. Our favorite no cover charge dining was Indigo. Quick meals/snacks and yummy chocolate brownie sundaes always available at Blue Lagoon the 24-hour no cover charge food choice.

Reservations are easy to make at the reservation desk in the Crystal Atrium. All of the menus are available for viewing at the desk. Don't feel pressured to schedule your entire cruise dining your first day on board. Enjoy the freestyle and be flexible. If you know you really want something specific for a special occassion. Of course you would then book well in advance. Otherwise relax and enjoy. With a little flexibility you will get into the restaurant you want, if not the specific time you want pretty close to it. We often dined with same day reservations.

I would not recommend making reservations and cancelling them. The specialty (cover charge) restaurant menus do not change like the main dining rooms. Decide what you feel like and make your reservation. There are two shows a night, 7pm and 9pm. Many folks attend these shows and plan their meals accordingly.

I believe someone mentioned the Asian restaurant. Lotus Garden has many delicious menu items. Again, depending on if you are feeling like steaks, lamb chops, fish or Asian style, Lotus Garden could easily be a number 1 or 2 choice dining experience.

Enjoy the Pearl and all of her crew. Your tastebuds will dance with delight no matter where you dine on board!;)

After 3 weeks of taste testing I recommend the Chocolate Raspberry Tartlet as my #1 chocolate dessert. #2 is the chocolate cake in La Cucina. (this is a very close second)

One last recommendation, use the stairs and enjoy the food.

Archived