Cruiselines with the Best Mannered Passengers?

Boo Boo

There are always some rude people on any line. Rich or poor, Cunard or Carnival..no difference. Americans are the most polite, Europeans push and shove most. Airports seem to bring out the worse in people. I can't see as it matters if you are on first or last, everyone leaves together!

Re your point on Americanization, in Rome, our hackles rose when someone shouted in a pizzeria "Do you speak American?" Has the US version of our language become so different from English that it has become a language in itself? :) LOL

That is a bit scarey - do you think that we will all be speaking "American" in 50 years...? ;)

Terrible about the treatment of people on scooters, in wheelchairs or using walkers... some people have no consideration or respect for others... disgusting :(

Boo

I was on the Explorer of the Seas this past July and that had to be the most rudest, ignorant bunch of passengers that I had ever met.

When the dinning room doors opened, they RAN to the tables. Reminded me of a cattle call. (of course on formal night, the fat women in dresses that were too small for them reminded me of cows.....)

They would cut in front of you waiting for an elevator.

They would push between your group whenever you were waiting in line.

They would push on the stairs when the line wasn't moving. (a dangerous action....)

When they started selling t-shirts cheap the last day at a special sale on the pool deck, people would push in front of those waiting and even grab the shirts out of people's hands. Then they would yell for the cashier who was already waiting on someone. (of course, a major part of that was the fault of the salespeople.. the sale was supposed to start at 10 and they didn't show up until 10 and spent 30 minutes putting the stuff out very slowly.)

Of course, the Shore Excursion Departments organizational skills created a lot of the problems in St. John and Bar Harbor.

In St. John, after waiting to get off for 45 minutes in a throng of people, they had us get in line for our busses. We were on a popular tour and the line was long. Some busses were already full and more were pulling in. The next bus to pull in, was several feet down and the shore excursion person, with her sign, began to lead the line to the bus. As soon as some of the ignorants in line saw where she was headed, several of them jumped out of line and ran to the bus. At that moment about 10 of us in the front of the line who were following the lady yellled: "STAY IN LINE" (along with a few names I heard thrown in by some...) The lady didn't know what to do, but the fools sheepishly headed back to their place in line. (except for a couple idiots who went ahead and got on the bus.......)

A major reason for the problems on the Explorer is the poor way that the ship is laid out and the fact that there are only 2 elevator banks. (as opposed to 3 on NCL ships...) The aft elevators were always crowded because of this and many times you had to get on an empty elevator going the opposite direction that you wanted to go just to get one! (and then ride it up to the top in order to be able to ride it down to where you wanted to go!!)

NCL ships never seemed crowded to me.

That is a bit scarey - do you think that we will all be speaking "American" in 50 years...? ;)

Probably not, the Economist had an article on the subject a while back and suggested that the language would be driven forward more by non-native speakers using English as a standard means of communicating with other non-native speakers - in other words a more practical solution than everyone learning Esperanto.

Terrible about the treatment of people on scooters, in wheelchairs or using walkers... some people have no consideration or respect for others... disgusting :(

Boo

It's an interesting point re the language, if off topic. I think the languages are probably gradually and very slowly diverging, though hopefully we'll always be able to understand each other!

We probably understand "American" better than Americans understand "English" due to the number of American tv shows we watch (though there are less than there used to be). I never knew what a "gurney" was until I watched ER.....

It's nice to know that some people find our accents interesting - my wife had to say "1999" to our dinner companions from California several times for their amusement!;)

Has the word "yobbishness" - a version of rude misbehaviour particularly seen amongst drunken British holidaymakers abroad entered the American language yet?

If not, I offer it as a gift. Free of charge.

Politeness rules!

Whether on land or at sea, people's behavior in a crowd (e.g., waiting to get in to something, waiting to get off the boat or plane, waiting to be offered a free drink, etc.) shows what I call the "Titanic syndrome". They worry that there will be no seat in the life boat for them.

When I am confronted by this behavior, I often say out loud, "Don't worry. In an actual emergency, we will all behave much better."

NOT!

Seems that elevator etiquette is a thing of the past. My DH and I remember being taught by someone (parent, teacher, boss?) that there are definite rules regarding elevator behavior, ie:

l. Allow passengers to get off before you

try to get on.

2. Step to the rear of the elevator.

3. Turn and face front

Is it because many of these cruisers have never been in an elevator? Because the big department stores with many floors have disappeared in malls? Because they have never visited an office on the 12th floor? Because their parents had never been in an elevator? Because some people are still afraid of elevators?

It's a puzzlement !

As to "I want" vs. "I need.....there are many cruisers who are intimidated by the entire experience, IMHO. There is absolutely nothing unmannerly about asking politely for something to be corrected if it isn't to your liking, or asking for something you would like to have (special pillows, robes, blankets, ice) in your cabin, or requesting something politely in the dining room (a second serving, a larger portion, a special item).

A smile, and warm nature goes a long way. Please and Thank You are musts for everyone.

Getting ready to sail on 10/17.

Marilyn

How about walking on the right hand side, I learned way back when in school to stay to the right, has that changed?

How about walking on the right hand side, I learned way back when in school to stay to the right, has that changed?

Yes, it depends on whether you're holding your cellphone to your right or left ear.:D :D

Personally, I walk on the right, but am always ready to dodge someone who thinks they have the right-of-way and is headed straight at me.

It is one of the reasons we like to sail on Celebrity - there are much fewer of the "ignorant people". We sailed on Royal Caribbean - once - that was enough - fellow passengers were horrible. I will admit it was a 4 night cruise and rumor has it short cruises bring out the worst - I forgot to look and see if it was a full moon.

I must admit that DH and I roll on the floor laughing when we see people on Carnival and Royal coming to the buffet in their PJ's and robes! So I suppose it is at least good for entertainment.:rolleyes:

Perhaps that's because the people traveling on the upscale lines are not the "I wants" kind of people, they're the "I already haves" kind of people. Or maybe, they'e just people with decent manners.

As an "upscale" cruiser, naturally I'm inclined to agree with you, but there may be another factor at work here as well. The upscale ships tend to be smaller, with a larger space and staff ratio per passenger. When you have plenty of room, no lines, and individual service, you don't have to scramble to get "your share".

NNNOO!! Say it isn't SO?:eek: People were REALLY coming to the buffet in robes and PJ's/ OMG--that is SO funny! Worse than the people ya see in the grocery store in their PJ's! Go figure!~

It is one of the reasons we like to sail on Celebrity - there are much fewer of the "ignorant people". We sailed on Royal Caribbean - once - that was enough - fellow passengers were horrible. I will admit it was a 4 night cruise and rumor has it short cruises bring out the worst - I forgot to look and see if it was a full moon.

I must admit that DH and I roll on the floor laughing when we see people on Carnival and Royal coming to the buffet in their PJ's and robes! So I suppose it is at least good for entertainment.:rolleyes:

I can't say that it was the rudeness of the people on a couple of my cruises as it was the "volume" level of their voices..

The volume of the populace on the cruise.

Speaking loudly.

Yelling all the time.

Everywhere.

in the pool.

in the theatre.

in the dining room of the buffet lines.

loud voices, yelling from across the tables..

the carpet in the main dining room couldn't buffer the loudness of the

voices.

if people could remember that voices carry.

i thank god that cell phones don't get used at sea!!!!

I will admit it was a 4 night cruise and rumor has it short cruises bring out the worst
this is true, too.

i've noticed that the shorter cruises bring out a different kind of populace.. generally.

here in florida, many of us like to steal away for a long weekend on the 3-4 night cruises, and the change in climate of the populace is much noticeable.

If you really want to wittness rudeness, try traveling with a wheelchaired handicap person. After waiting through 2 elevators because we were totally ignored and these neanderthol people would just cut infront of us as we were trying to get on. After the third attempt when 4 grown women looked straight at us and went around as my traveling companion was trying to drive her tiny scooter in. Well I jump in the elevator and told one large women that had just planted herself right in the middle in front of the door that she was just going to have to move it over because we WERE coming in. They had the nerve to look at me like I was insane, I just stared them down and again told them to move it to the side or get sore toes because this chair was coming in. I hate that I had to act that way but we would not have ever made it anywhere.

it's like this in the big theme parks..

i had to rent an electric scooter once..

i swore i'd never go to another theme park until i can walk (again).

no one would allow the scooter to move along.

i even mentioned to my companion..

there should be "scooter only" days in places like disney world!!!

People tend to walk on the left hand side in countries where you drive on the left also (e.g. Great Britain, Australia, etc.)

Yeah, and I have a hard time dodging those Australians and New Zealanders that are always walking upside down! ;)

I don't know if this is rude or funny. On one cruise a woman from the U.K. was complaining loudly to the purser's desk about something and indignantly said "Well, after all, I am NOT just a common American." An example of why the Brits lost their Empire? LOL But our Brit table mates were charming.

I don't know if this is rude or funny. On one cruise a woman from the U.K. was complaining loudly to the purser's desk about something and indignantly said "Well, after all, I am NOT just a common American." An example of why the Brits lost their Empire? LOL But our Brit table mates were charming.

Apologies on behalf of the British nation.

She was probably one of the the "nouveaux riches", who are always the worst.

If you like, we'll take you back into the Empire. You can teach us good manners and how to take care of our teeth and we can give you tips on how to manage your banking sector! :D :D

Apologies on behalf of the British nation.

She was probably one of the the "nouveaux riches", who are always the worst.

If you like, we'll take you back into the Empire. You can teach us good manners and how to take care of our teeth and we can give you tips on how to manage your banking sector! :D :D

Well, I will agree to re-join the defunct Empire only if Brit waiters will serve a glass of water in a restaurant without an argument, and only if you will agree not to send your foggy, rainy weather our way. I fear our banking system is beyond help.

• 4 weeks later...

After reading about all the rudeness on cruise ships i'm not sure what to expect on our first cruise coming up.My wife and i have noticed lately that people are getting worse in the mall,in the parking lot,on the highway everywhere just crazy maybe i'll bring a taser on the ship for all the rude people:D:D:D just kidding.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a great solution for dealing with rude mannered people -- however it requires a child (preferably yours :) )

My kids are well-mannered (for example, they address adults with a yes ma'am or yes sir....if they EVER said "huh" or "what" to an adult instead of "excuse me?" they'd be in trouble).

Anyway, what I do when we encounter blatantly rude behavior is that I instruct my kids about why we don't act like that within earshot of the rude person. For example, if someone crams into an elevator before everyone else is out, I'd just tell my kids, "We don't go into an elevator before everyone is out. That would be rude" I don't even have to look at the offender, and the point is made :)

Just a suggestion for anyone who is able to do this. Heck, who knows, you may even just say that to another adult in the area just to make the point!:D

Archived