San Diego Hotels

cheshire cat

We are sailing on the Oosterdam on Jan. 31 and will be arriving in San Diego the day before. We would also like to spend three days in San Diego after the cruise and wondered where to stay. We want to visit Sea World and the San Diego Zoo, and other siteseeing. Any help would be appreciated as it seems to be a huge city and so many hotels. Not sure which area would be best to stay in.

Thanks, Irene.

We have stayed many times both pre and post cruise at Embassy Suites on Pacific Highway.

Close to the airport and very close to the pier. It is also within walking distance of Seaport Village, Horton Plaza, Midway Carrier and The Fish Market (a great eating place right on the Bay).

There is a bus that stops right in front of the hotel that takes you to the Zoo and Balboa Park.

Downtown is a good area, but expect to pay $25/day to park, if you rent a car.

Hotel Circle (Mission Valley) has lots of hotels, but nothing to see... but it is nearby almost everything... 5-10 mins to downtown, beaches, La Jolla, etcetera.

The beaches are expensive, and we don't have many hotels near the beaches anyhow, so essentially you're paying more to still have to get in the car to go to the beach.

La Jolla is very upscale and nice, near the beaches, lots of shopping.

I'd stay in Downtown or La Jolla.

I use Priceline's "Name your own price" feature to book all my hotel rooms, you can find strategies on betterbidding.com.

The Holiday Inn On The Bay is right across the street from the cruise terminal. Easy access to the light rail system. A submarine and two other ships are right across the street, too, and are interesting to see. If you stay there pre-cruise, ask for a bay view and you can watch your ship come in!

Stay downtown. In January the beaches will be too cold.

I would also recommend the Embassy suites. You can walk to Gaslight quarter. Lots of nice restaurants there. Horton Plaza for shopping, SeaPort village across the street. And as mentioned above, bus to the Park.

If you rent a car, plenty of parking in Balboa park (free) so Museums or Zoo, no problem with car. It is not far so a Cab would also work.

Musuems in park that are fabulous, Air and Space Museum(nicer than the one in the Smithsonian). Also right now there is an unbelievable Star Trec exhibit

there.

Regards,

San Diego sue

We sailed from San Diego in Jan. 07 and stayed at the Hampton Inn near the pier. Very nice, and cheaper than the Holiday Inn which was only a block or so away. We walked to Seaport Village, took about 30 min. Hampton Inn picked us up from the airport and took us to the pier the next day (no charge).

I think most of the information offered is good. The Holiday Inn is most convenient to the dock. We've stayed there a few times but on our last several trips we've gone to the Marriott at Seaview Village. San Diego is a great city and easy to get around in.

I had a very good experience at the Hampton Inn Herb mentioned. Would stay there again in a heartbeat. They will also shuttle you over to Balboa Park and you get to spend several hours there, if you sign up in advance. Trolley service is available too.

I only had 1 suitcase and a carry-on, so I just walked over to the cruise terminal.

Roz

I've stayed at the Embassy on the waterfront, the Marriott at the Convention Center (harborfront) and the Horton Grande in the Gaslamp ... all three were great locations! There's a ton to see/do in the general downtown area and the trolley is right there to take you out to Old Town and other areas. Probably my favorite was the Horton Grande (for the history and architecture) but the other two are quite nice, too.

We'll be in SD next week for our Oosterdam cruise 10/18. We're spending 2 days precruise at the Holiday Inn on the Bay. From there we'll see the Aircraft Carrier Museum, Seaport Village, and do the trolley tour.

When we get back we're spending 1 night post cruise at Handlery Resort to see the Old Town area.

Has any one stayed at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina? We will be staying there for one night pre-cruise. Just wondering how it's location is to the pier as well as shopping areas.

Have not stayed there but know the location. It is about 5 miles from the Cruise Terminal and about 6 miles to Seaport Village (shopping and dining). You can see the terminal and Seaport Village across the bay.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express downtown in April. I could go on for a day about the excellent service we received there, even after the cruise when we were no longer guests!! It is within walking distance of the bay area, just a couple of blocks up from the Holiday Inn on the Bay. Booked it through hotwire for $75 per night. It included complimentary shuttle service to not only the airport and cruise terminal but also to area attractions, such as the zoo and Balboa Park. Also included in the price was a full hot breakfast, free WiFi, business center in the lobby with computers if you don't have a laptop with you , coffee and tea 24 hours in the lobby and from Sunday to Thursday from 4:30 to 6:00pm there is a Happy Hour with free beer, wine and soda.

If you want more info about it feel free to email me at rochelleshott@hotmail.com

San Diego might be a big city but I found the downtown area very walkable.

Rochelle

The Holiday Inn On The Bay is right across the street from the cruise terminal. Easy access to the light rail system. A submarine and two other ships are right across the street, too, and are interesting to see. If you stay there pre-cruise, ask for a bay view and you can watch your ship come in!

I'll go along with jhannah on this one. Staying across the street from the Cruise Terminal at the Holiday in is my favorite.

I'll go along with jhannah on this one. Staying across the street from the Cruise Terminal at the Holiday in is my favorite.

Has anyone done the "snooze and cruise" special that they have at the Holiday Inn where you can stay the night before and park your car for no additional charge while you cruise?

Archived