It's all about attitude....

shiprat

The matter was only resolved the day before yesterday..l only brought it up because this thread came back into view.

Perhaps my reason for booking this cruise may seem misguided to some of you. If it were not for the stop in LeHavre, I wouldn't have even considered booking this cruise in the first place. To miss Paris after carefully planning it out for eighteen months was a blow to say the least. I did not miss it due to weather or any other reason beyond my control...l could have handled that; but to miss it because someone didn't know what she was doing was inexcusable.

If you want positive, I won three trivia contests. I came home with a bookmark, a keychain and a deck of cards...but somehow it just doesn't make up for not seeing Paris.

Nuff said.

Let me get this straight...you planned 18 months to go to Paris on a cruise ship? If you did this, I would say you are at fault. Putting all your eggs in one basket to see 1 port is risky at best. Read the disclaimer from any cruise line, they specifically say they do not guarantee any port. If you were so set on seeing one stop, you should have gone there without a cruise ship. Just my opinion though. If you are booking a vacation to see one place, a cruise ship is probably the worst/most risky way to do it.

Having vacation plans change sucks, but at least you made it on the ship. We had a cruise scheduled when Frances hit and had to cancel the entire trip. The bright side, now I am scheduled for the Sun on November 27th and I can't wait!!!!

Cecilia:

It's been quite a while since I was in Paris (lucky you !) but I am giving you one piece of advice about a MUST SEE which many people miss. On a SUNNY day go to Ste. Chapelle (near Notre Dame). It's like walking through liquid light when the sun pours through the gorgeous stained glass windows - absolutely not to be missed.

Cecilia,

I have to agree with Zeno about St. Chapelle!! We were in Paris for a week and did the Louvre, Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, boat ride on the Seine, but St. Chapelle was absolutely stunning! Do NOT miss it! I think doing the Eiffel Tower AT NIGHT was very memorable too. I really enjoyed climbing into the towers of Notre Dame. I thought the gargoyles were awesome, but I'm weird.

Of course, none of this is making MsM feel better. So sorry that happened to you MsM.

shiprat

Zeno and Shiprat...thank you for the recommendation. We'll put that on our to do list. We'll be in Paris for 6 nights/7 days. We're staying at the Hilton at the Eiffel Tower. Our balcony will look out to the Eiffel Tower. We're so excited to have that room because for New Year's Eve we'll have a front row seat for any festivities.

MsM...I'll make extra effort to see how easy or difficult it is for people with mobility problems. Hopefully there will be another opportunity for you to see the city.

Great post. I found that people who nitpick a cruise to death do the same thing in life.

It's the old glass half empty thing. I just got back from the Pride of Aloha and found the cruise to be just fine. Were things perfect? No, but what in life is? I posted a review because there were so many complaints when the ship first went into service, I thought people might like to see a better review. But I also stated if you like white glove service and super food, this isn't the cruise for you.

But trust me, I didn't starve - there was always something to eat!

It's all about your attitude in life, not just going on a cruise.

Great post. I found that people who nitpick a cruise to death do the same thing in life.

It's the old glass half empty thing. I just got back from the Pride of Aloha and found the cruise to be just fine. Were things perfect? No, but what in life is? I posted a review because there were so many complaints when the ship first went into service, I thought people might like to see a better review. But I also stated if you like white glove service and super food, this isn't the cruise for you.

But trust me, I didn't starve - there was always something to eat!

It's all about your attitude in life, not just going on a cruise.

AMEN< when the last company tried Hawaii only the food wasn't great either, in fact, as some of my old cliants said "it was awful" but they weren't cruising for the food alone. NMNIta

Cecilia,

I have to agree with Zeno about St. Chapelle!! We were in Paris for a week and did the Louvre, Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, boat ride on the Seine, but St. Chapelle was absolutely stunning! Do NOT miss it! I think doing the Eiffel Tower AT NIGHT was very memorable too. I really enjoyed climbing into the towers of Notre Dame. I thought the gargoyles were awesome, but I'm weird.

Of course, none of this is making MsM feel better. So sorry that happened to you MsM.

shiprat

Bless you! This does make me feel better..to know that l have at last gotten my point across. Disasters do happen and to insituate that it was my fault "shouldn't have booked for just one port" (I am literallly on my last legs) "ships miss ports" (This was not a missed port.) "get over it" (how do you get over loosing a dream..it is like loosing a loved one.) Please me mindful of the fact that l had documentation of negliance on the part of the crew from two officals on the Dream..so no way, shape or form was 'it my fault.'

I like adventure and unexpected things and I certainly don't go on vacation to be unhappy.

However,

How often does a cruise line say, "we messed up so we're going to give you a refund (of even 1 dollar)? No, it's usually those familiar words, "Thank you for you patience."

Funny, when it's time for me to pay for my cruise or my shore excursions or my room charges I can't say, "I have unexpected expenses at this time. Thank you for your patience."

And please, when you skip the same port for the 7th sailing in a row offer me something more than additional opportunities to spend money on your ship during an extra day at sea.

TheDivineMissM:

A couple of comments about your Paris disappointment. I am sorry you missed this city on your cruise BUT in my opinion a cruise is NOT the best way to see most of the cities of Europe (not much comfort for you I know). Quite frankly one day would just not do Paris justice and would be extremely hectic. You should really consider a land vacation to see Paris. That way you could really see all the highlights at a non-rushed pace.

Funny, when it's time for me to pay for my cruise or my shore excursions or my room charges I can't say, "I have unexpected expenses at this time. Thank you for your patience."

I love that! Someone's gotta try that sometime!

shiprat

This is a great thread. In regards to changed ports, ship problems etc.. I discovered a while back by carefully reading the terms & conditions in the back of the brochure. There are 2 pages of legalese that I can summarize in three sentences. Anything that we as passengers do, were responsible for & must be accountable. Anything that happens to us on the cruise they're not responsible. If something is different than what is stated in the brochure that's too bad. S... happens.

That said I have always had a great time on cruises & feel that most of the staff have done a fine job.

TheDivineMissM:

A couple of comments about your Paris disappointment. I am sorry you missed this city on your cruise BUT in my opinion a cruise is NOT the best way to see most of the cities of Europe (not much comfort for you I know). Quite frankly one day would just not do Paris justice and would be extremely hectic. You should really consider a land vacation to see Paris. That way you could really see all the highlights at a non-rushed pace.

You are so right; I always think of port stops as a way of getting an overall view of a city especially if it is a Europian city. No way can you see any major city in a few hours. If that is the reason, or one of the main reasons for any trip better do it by land rather than a cruise. nMNIta

Nita,

You're so right! I became a teacher as my second career in part so I could travel more. I love cruises, and I love ships. When the Star was rerouted and missed Zihua, I didn't mind at all because I really truly love sea days!

But, when I really want to see a PLACE, I schedule a land-based vacation. Seven months and counting until our week on Maui!!!! In a way, I think Hawaii is so beautiful in itself, I have to take my time and really soak it in for a week!

shiprat

SHIPRAT- If you haven't been to Kauai take a day to go over there. Everything the higher power has put on earth is present on that island(Except Ice.)

Skimmed the entire thread this morning. Gives me more gratitutude that I have been made aware of serenity and the joy of living by Bill. Put some gratitude in your attitude should be taught in schools. Teaching was my first career. Retirement is my second. No vacations, no sick days, no holidays. My wife goes on vacation, for me it is just a trip. Day in day out retirement. A tough job, but I love doing it.

Going on STAR 2/25/05 Mexican Riviera. Any tips appreciated.

Sam Adrezin Age 57 3rd year second career

I can understand when something major happens to someone. I have to admit I probably would have laughed about the cocktail sauce thing and I am glad the poster had a good attitude about it. No one was rude and it was an accident - things happen, even on vacation.

I was on the Carnival Paradise for 10 days and had the best time and I was amazed when I read some of the negative reviews. People complained about a mirror in the elevator that was broken and some lights being out (a string of 1000s of lights and a few bulbs were out) and the hall rugs being a little worn. Hummmm....who cares! The ship smelled heavenly (was still no smoking at the time), the service was good on all accounts and the ports were wonderful. I have also sailed Princess, and was happy with that experience. I did not find the food or service much different on either line.

Yes there are times when things go wrong but when people have complained in a timely manor, things have been rectified quickly (in my experience). We even went to ask if Carnival would give a gentleman in a wheelchair a new one as it was making horrible noises and he was not happy but did not want to complain. We did not know his cabin number, just the number on the wheelchair. The next time we saw him he was in a new chair and much happier. Yes, we gave a tip for the person to find this gentleman, but I expect that too. $5 improved this mans trip greatly and I just don't think anyone who worked for Carnival knew he was unhappy.

My first trip with NCL is in January, first trip with my daughter and first cruise for my in-laws. We are going on the Sun, which seems to have mostly positive reviews. It will be a completely different cruise experience for my Dh and I. I am greatly looking forward to it and I am sure we will have a good time.

We even went to ask if Carnival would give a gentleman in a wheelchair a new one as it was making horrible noises and he was not happy but did not want to complain. We did not know his cabin number, just the number on the wheelchair. The next time we saw him he was in a new chair and much happier.

How wonderful. I love that!:D

SHIPRAT- If you haven't been to Kauai take a day to go over there. Everything the higher power has put on earth is present on that island(Except Ice.)

Sam, thanks for the tip!! There's still time for us to take an interisland flight to Kauai so I think we might give it a shot! We've heard Kauai is actually the most lush and beautiful of all the islands.

Good luck on your second career! I have only about 25 more years of work left until my third! Glad I met Bill when I did too, it saved my marriage! Life is AWESOME isn't it!

shiprat

Oh! You are such a sweetheart:rolleyes: . I must say I am really becoming motivated by everyones' kindness here to strike out on my own. I've called a local travel agent and she is checking into group tours to London, Paris (and possibly Amersterdam) for Seniors. They do have them..it's just a matter of finding the right one.

Tomorrow, I will see about purchasing a rollator..that's about all l need right now for increased moblilty.

Thanks again everyone..you've helped me more than you could know. Will keep you posted.

Archived