Immunization Requirments? US Citizens Cruising JOS to Panama Canal

lgazz

We are leaving for an 11 Night Panama Canal cruise aboard JOS in November. Ports include Catagena, Costa Rica and Panama. We have never been to these ports and I'd like to know if there are special vaccinations required for citizens residing in the United States?

We've been to Grand Cayman and Aruba and we know that there are no "required" vaccines for those islands.

Does anyone know about the others?

We are "up to date" on the "standard" vaccines required in the US.

Thanks in advance!

You won't be in any of those countries long enough to need any vacines...it's not as if you'll be camping in the wilds for days on end!

I don't think the amount of time spent in a country will determine whether or not you could potentially pick up a harmful disease. For example, enjoying a nice tropical drink with a tainted ice cube can expose you to hepatitis. You could have that drink if even if you were only there for an hour :rolleyes:

When I started travelling to the Caribbean a few times a year, we were all vaccinated against Hepatits A/B with a vaccine called Twinrix - better safe than sorry. JMHO

Our Travelers Section at The Detroit Board Of Health recommends that anyone traveling to many third world countries and Mexico get innoculated for Hep A/B, Typhoid, and have an up to date Tetanus shot. They are also recommended for travelers with certain health conditions who might be more susceptible to picking up viruses.

They're not that expensive, so my DH and I got them all done before our cruise last year that took us to Belize. Our doctor thought we should have them for that port. We cruise at least 2 times a year, so it was worth it. Better safe than sorry for us as my husband has Cardiomyopathy and can't risk picking up any type of virus.

Our Travelers Section at The Detroit Board Of Health recommends that anyone traveling to many third world countries and Mexico get innoculated for Hep A/B, Typhoid, and have an up to date Tetanus shot.
Geeze, are you certain that the recommendation was not individuals traveling TO Detroit? When I was up there last year Detroit looked like a third world country major city, similar to Harare, Zimbabwe or Lusaka, Zambia.

Archived