Hotel Molino Stucky, Venice

This is still a Hilton property, I think. It is a bit off the beaten track and is a huge monolith of a building -- very unVenice-like in appearance. Perfectly reasonable hotel which used to (and perhaps still does) have reasonable prices compare to other 4-star hotels in Venice.

Not my favorite but when I'm n Venice I like to fell like I'm in Venice (if that makes any sense). Here you feel like you are in a Hilton.

I'm staying there next week for the night before the cruise. All hotels I considered (2* and 3*)were over $350 for that night, which is just crazy IMO, so I cashed in American Airlines miles, deposited them in my Hilton Honors acct and am getting the room for free. On that particular night, the rate is over $600, so I'm thrilled! I'll try to remember to let you know how our stay was, but many Flyer Talk members have stayed there and have very good reviews, and the reviews on Trip Advisor are very good as well.

It certainly LOOKS lovely ...from the outside,but as a previous poster said....."if IN Venice...stay IN Venice"...it is on one of the islands.But, a good hotel deal is always a plus !! You'll have to take a vaporetto(water bus) over to Venice.

Enjoy...

Sharon

Oceania cruises use the Molino Stucky for there pre and post cruise hotel in Venice.We booked ourselfs into the hotel using our HH points for 3 nites.Spoke to someone who used the hotel last year said it was great and the shuttle ran every 20 min. to San Marco.

Yes, it isn't a Venice type hotel. Very pretty but very Hilton. HUGE. Just have to always take their shuttle back and forth to the sights of Venice. So that will eat into a litlle of your time.

We looked at it and I have a friend who stayed there. She said they will stay in Vencie next time as they didn't like being on the shuttle's schedule and liked to pop into their hotel between shopping trips to drop stuff off. Or change clothes, shoes etc. Not convenient with the Hilton. So they will be staying nearer St Marks next fall.

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed there October of last year and LOVED it. It is a gorgeous hotel and with fabulous, LARGE (which is unusual) well-appointed rooms. We had a view to Venice proper right in front where the gorgeous sailing ship, the Royal Clipper docks. The private shuttle couldn't have been more convenient--right outside the door right to the steps of St. Marks and running regularly.

The club floor was exquisite. We had just arrived from a cruise and were able to wait there until the room was ready and the area was well-stocked with breakfast, then snacks, lunch etc...all ample with great service.

Our only regret is that our stay wasn't longer!! FABULOUS :)

I travel a lot and stay in a variety of hotels, but having been to Venice twice, nothing beats the charm of staying in a small little hotel on a backwater canal. It might not be for everyone, usually no elevator, but the proprietor will know your name, the quaint restaurant next door will be owned by his brother and his cousin can be called in for a gondola ride.

Roy

I travel a lot and stay in a variety of hotels, but having been to Venice twice, nothing beats the charm of staying in a small little hotel on a backwater canal. It might not be for everyone, usually no elevator, but the proprietor will know your name, the quaint restaurant next door will be owned by his brother and his cousin can be called in for a gondola ride.

Roy

Roy:

An excellent summary of why I stay in small, locally owned hotels -- in Venice, Bali or just about anywhere.

We stayed there October of last year and LOVED it. It is a gorgeous hotel and with fabulous, LARGE (which is unusual) well-appointed rooms. We had a view to Venice proper right in front where the gorgeous sailing ship, the Royal Clipper docks. The private shuttle couldn't have been more convenient--right outside the door right to the steps of St. Marks and running regularly.

The club floor was exquisite. We had just arrived from a cruise and were able to wait there until the room was ready and the area was well-stocked with breakfast, then snacks, lunch etc...all ample with great service.

Agree with all of the above. Very luxurious. Phenomenal breakfast buffet. Don't miss the rooftop pool and bar. That said, the rate was over 400 euro when we stayed, and if we had not been able to get the hotel for HHonors points, we wouldn't have spent the money to stay here.

To get to the port, we just walked to the Palanca vaporetto stop to catch the number 2 to the Piazzale Roma and took the free cruise ship shuttle bus to the port.

We are staying there this July for 3 nights, before we cruise.Do you remember the room # you had? It sounds fantastic.

We stayed at the Hilton Molino stucky (just after it opened) in July of last year. We had a clutch of HHonour points we decided to use. We have stayed in Venice before.

The hotel was great. It is a converted brown brick flour mill on the island of Giudecca. This island is separated from Venice by the Giudecca canal which is the big one that the cruise ships navigate through on their way from the port of Venice to the Adriatic sea (and vice versa). Our room overlooked the canal and was truly wonderful. The rooms (by virtue of the building design) have high ceilings, some with authentic wooden beams. As a modern renovation, it is an up to date Hilton with all the amenities you would expect. If you can, get an executive category room with a view. The use of the executive lounge is a real bonus at this hotel as you can avail yourself of complimentary breakfast, sodas and some alcoholic drinks, as well as snacks and canapies at certain times of the day. Venice is a very expensive city and this facility will be appreciated.

The hotel has a fantastic roof top swimming pool, with commanding views across all of Venice. It is amazing to watch the cruise ships sail right past on the Giudecca canal. From the 9th floor you still find yourself looking up and waving as they pass. The hotel also has a great (and expensive) spa and restaurants. Interior rooms may look onto a courtyard, and other rooms may have less than attractive views, looking on to other nearby buildings. If you can get a canal view, go for it.

The hotel runs a complimentary shuttle boat across the canal (5 mins) from where you can walk through the main area of Venice (or catch the Vaperetto public transportation boats), and then on to St Marks square. They run roughly every half hour to a fixed timetable with breaks at certain times of the day. These boats are convenient and make the hotel very accessible.

Giudecca is also worth exploring and has its own restaurants etc. It is also on the Vaperetto network and provides links to all parts of Venice.

As a pilot, I spend far too much time in hotels to settle for "quaint authenticity" when on vacation, I need a large comfortable bed, good clean bathroom, effective climate control and service that reflects the price I am (or would be) paying. In Venice none of this comes cheap, but you either compromise or pay the going rate. Hilton is the only large chain hotel close to Venice proper. There are Sheraton (Starwood) properties at luxury price level close to St Marks square and again a boat ride away on the Lido ("Westin excelsior" and Seasonal "Sheraton Des Bains"), but these are not cheap either. Nevertheless in summer they can be a wonderful place to stay, as they also provide free shuttle boats (30 mins) into St Marks square.

In summary, I would have no trouble recommending the Hilton Molino Stucky. It is convenient for venice and the port, and it has some great faclities. It is expensive and particularly so if you go for the rooms with a view. It is one of only a handful of hotels around Venice (none on Venice itself) with a pool, and "wow" what a view that pool has. Good views from the rooftop bar and typical international hotel facilities and services. If you can get a bargain on this hotel, or a rate that doesn't cause you break out in a cold sweat, then go for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I am considering the Molino Stucky for 1 night post cruise next May.They have good pre paid rates on their website right now.

The only concern I have is getting to the hotel from the cruise port then to the airport for a 12.00pm flight the next day.Don't want to shell out for a water taxi.

Would be be better off leaving our heavy cases at the Piazzale Roma left luggage then getting the vaporetto to Palanca to the hotel,then return to the airport via the bus from P. Roma or would this be too time consuming?

Any advice would be most appreciated as I am getting a bit bogged down with researching a post cruise option in Venice!!!

You might just look at the website for Ai Due Principi. It is brand new and the rooms and bathrooms are gorgeous. It is about a 5 minute walk from St. Mark's and also 3 minutes from the San Zaccharia stop, the one right past San Marco. Two canals run in front--very quaint, safe and fun area. I am saying this just because you may want to check their website and see how the rates compare to what younare getting at the Hilton. This hotel only has 15 rooms and we loved it! The owner himself helped wheel our luggage to the vaporetto stop, where we boarded Alilaguna to the airport for 12 E each.

We saw the Hilton--are were so happy we were on the right side of the canal--but I'm sure it's very nice. Whatever you choose--you're in Venice!!

Cathy

Since I posted the initial question of this thread, I will now give my report on our post-cruise stat at the Stucky. We absolutely LOVED the hotel. It used to be a grain mill and was converted into a hotel. It isn't quaint, but the room and the facilities were incredible. The hotel has character. We got a deal of appx. 145 euros/night and it was worth it. We got off the ship at 8 a.m. and by 9:45 a.m. we were at the hotel. I was planning on checking my luggage with the bellman and then start exploring Venice. However, we were allowed to check in and they upgraded us to a room on the 5th floor that overlooked the canal. Breathtaking views.

The shuttle was easy (and free) to use. It picks up once an hour at Saint Marco. There is also another location straight across the hotel that is picks up 2X an hour. We didn't find this inconvenient at all. It was a terrific service that we utilized.

The rooftop bar has some nice views. I will warn you that it is expensive. We paid 16 euros each for a drink and appetizers during Happy Hour. But we had great views.

If I could get a similar deal, I would stay there again. No hesitation.

Thanks for that great review.We are booked there 2 nites pre cruise in July.Did you eat in there restaurant? We are thinking of having them pick us up at the airport when we arrive into VCN.How did you get to the airport from the hotel?

We walked from the ship to the Vaporetto stop near the terminal. We took the Vaporetto to St. Marks and then found the shuttle to the hotel. We paid 18 euros total for the two people and our luggage. The shuttle schedule is available on the Hotel's web site. Enjoy your stay!

Hi Nodakboiler

Another question for you if you dont mind!

Is the Vaporetto an easy option with luggage? We are thinking of leaving our 2 suitcases at the baggage storage at Piazzale Roma then just taking an overnight bag to the hotel. Only thing is we need to be at the airport at 10.00 am next morning to check in, how much time should we allow to get back to P. Roma then the airport bus?

Thanks

Lisa

Both of us had a large suitcase on wheels and also a carryon. We were able to manage just fine. You definitely don't want to haul luggage all over Venice. The streets and bridges aren't conducive for that.

It wasn't difficult to get to P. Roma and the airport, but it can take longer than you think to make the right connections. The bus ride from P. Roma to the airport was less than 30 minutes. We took bus #5 and it cost 5-6 euros for both of us.

The first Stucky shuttle leaves the hotel at 8 a.m. I think. Check the hotel web site for their schedule. Have fun.

Archived