Ziplining in Cabo San Lucas

CWcruisers

I was on the Elation this week and booked my zipline with Cabo San Lucas Tours.

I just want to warn people that this is a very strenous tour! I am 51 years old but I am a gym rat so I consider myself in pretty good shape. All of the ships arrived in Cabo late because of choppy water making it take longer than usual to load tenders. As a result, the tour operator ended up having to put together a larger group than they had planned, but I do not hold them responsible for that.

On the web site, it talks about being able to hike a 20% grade for up to 5 minutes. Well, my definition of 20% was a lot different than theirs. Plus it was 102 degrees with no shade and their water containers that they had set up to refill the water bottles were empty. The poor guides were on the verge of heat exhaustion themselves. Two of the zips, you actually have to run and jump off cliffs. After the last zip, you have to climb up stairs carved into a hill that go pretty much straight up.

I will tell you that the zips were totally unique from anything I had done before. I have ziped in Puerta Vallarta, Roatan and Costa Rica. One of the zips in Cabo is 1/2 mile long! Plus we got to do 2 of them tandem, which I have never done before.

Would I do it again, no. Would I tell others not to do it, no. I just want folks to be prepared for it.

I did this same zipline with Wendy and have to agree with everything she said! The ziplines were fun, but I don't think the description of the activity was accurate.

I was a little worried about some of the folks who did this excursion because it was so much more strenuous than had been disclosed. I felt sorry for the guides - they looked they had just about had it in the 100+ temps. Also, for those of you who have ziplined before, this is not a "canopy" tour where you zipline in the treetops from platform to platform. On this one you ziplined across a canyon, they walked (uphill) to another spot and then ziplined again, walked to another location, etc. So, it isn't like the jungle tree-top ziplining many think of.

Pluses: some great views and fun ziplines.

Minuses: ran out of water, group was too big, more strenuous than described, AND they ran out of beer at the end!!

We did this exact zip line last week. Although the zips were fantastic the climb about did us in. Walking and climbing are not the same and be assured there is alot of climbing. Glad I did it??....well, yes, now that it's done, but I wouldn't do it again....only because of the climb tho. And yes, it's true, you run and jump of the cliff on 2 of them.....surely out of my comfort zone but they were really fun. I'd only recommend this for folks who are in good enough shape to climb, climb, climb.

• 1 month later...

Is this the tour with Johann & Sandra? I'm assuming there's only one zipline tour in Cabo? We are seriously considering this one. We did the Los Veranos Ziplines in PV and loved it. Are the Cabo lines more strenuous? I'm 38 and DH is 41. We don't work out but we handled the PV lines and climbs okay.

• 1 month later...
Dirtgirl-if you booked the ship excrusion, it is a different zipline and sounded much gentler. We booked directly with Cabo San Lucas Tours. Just wanted to clarify that.

CWCruisers,

Which tour did you do exactly? I am looking at the zipline tours in Cabo and the one you described sounds like fun to me. I currently see four options:

Wild Canyon Monster

Xtreme Canopy

Zips Jeep extreme

Canyon Canopy

Was it one of these?

Thanks,

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

I've done this zip line you're talking about last March. It was the 1st time.

If you're adventurous, can handle hiking up hill, sometimes on uneven ground, and are reasonably fit you should be fine. I agree that with this you should know what it instills. I, myself had a pretty good experience and I was a 56 year old female then. But another one of us that was 40 had a pretty tough time with the hiking. The views were neat, the tandom zipping was totally cool. As for the long zip line, it was the last one, and to me it didn't seem any different than the shorter ones.

I think there were only 9 lines which was nice cause it gave us time to shop. Would I do it again? Yes. Would the other person with me, no.

Archived