Carnival dropping fuel charges.

seapenarth

Carnival lines including Seabourn will not include fuel charges for cruises booked for 2010 after October 31. How do they know what fuel will cost in 2010 or is this a little sweetener for tough times ? ;)

It is funny that you come up with this subject, because only this morning I was thinking about the same! Oil prices have dropped quite a lot, so it does not seem right to pay extra fuel charges any more.

Marja

I still think that they can increase prices all they want on the brochure rates. That does not mean it is what people will pay. You will just see larger discounts off those brochure rates. It is insane to think they can raise prices in this economic environment.

Carnival lines including Seabourn will not include fuel charges for cruises booked for 2010 after October 31. How do they know what fuel will cost in 2010 or is this a little sweetener for tough times ? ;)

They hedge, locking in the current prices. That is precisely what Southwest Airlines did, in the mid-$50's.

There is also a provision for 2008 and 2009 departures and the fuel supplement if the price of sweet crude oi is $70 or less at the closing each day on the NYMEX or 25 consecutive days ending 5 days before the guest's cruise departure day. If this occurs, the guest will have the fuel supplement returned in the form of a shipboard credit.

I agree with the comment about the brochure rates -- they can print whatever they want it will just make the deals they offer look better to the uninformed. My TA just told me this morning that she has already started to see the flood of special offers. BTW, she tried to get ahold of us as were leaving for the airport a few weeks ago as Seabourn had overbooked our cruise and were going to make us a very special offer if we rebooked. I am frankly just as happy we did not know because we might have been tempted.

Archived