Help with upgrade issue

sarahvch

Ok I thought I knew what I was doing and this is ALL my fault but I need some inside help here.

We have only cruised in suites before until this last trip on the Sky when I booked a balcony. I booked an inside cabin on the Spirit sailing next week. After being in a balcony I know that I can not spend two weeks in an inside cabin. I thought it would be fine but I now know better. I checked pricing online and saw that the balcony is only $100 more than the inside I booked. I called asking to upgrade to a balcony and was told there were none left. I told her they were still allowing people to book a guarantee online and she said she had no idea why. I hung up and called back hoping to get someone that knew more. The second agent said the same thing and said that there were no balconies left. The only thing I can think of is that they have guarantees left because they have pulled everything for upsells. I called the upsell department but they are not open until Monday. Now I am willing to pay what I need to in order to make sure we enjoy this cruise but I am confused as to why they would allow booking online if there are no cabins left. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Can you call NCLback and tell them you want to pay the difference for a balcony guarantee?

BTW - calling the Upsell Dept may not do you any good.......I know that they stopped taking in-bound calls a few years ago. Did they restart the practice of allowing pax to contact them, rather than the upsell dept calling the pax?

watchdiva, I don't know what the policy on taking inbound calls is. When I booked a deluxe owners suite on the pearl and was called to upgrade to the garden villa the agent gave me a number and said since I had so many cruises booked to feel free to call her and she would get me to the person in charge of the ship I wanted an upgrade for. Now honestly that may have been because I was spending so much money on that cruise and she thought I would be spending that much on every cruise.

When I call NCL they keep telling me that the system says they have NO balconies or suites left so they can;t even book a guarantee for me. I don't understand how new bookings could get a guarantee but not current bookings.

Did you actually try to select the balcony like you were going to book it online? I notice that the NCL site will show categories as available, but when you actually try to book the category it pops up an error message and says nothing is available.

You're right, that's really odd. It shows 4 categories of balconies, but all as GTY only, and lets me try to book it. I would definitely try calling them again on Monday.

The only thing I can think of is that they actually have some suites that they are actively trying to upsell right now and are expecting someone to move out of a balcony.

I was thinking of booking a balcony as a single so we get one. Will they let you have two cabins in one person's name?

Not sure. The problem with this is that you could be stuck with both cabins since you would have to make full payment. If that doesn't concern you...

Well I got some information but it is not good...

I spoke with the upsell department and was told that the reason reservations could not change my cabin is because at a certain point everything is pulled from them so that it can be up sold. Over the weekend all of the balconies and suites were sold. I was put on a watch list and they told me that up to the day of sailing the have cancelations so maybe!

I still do not understand why the guarantees are being sold if the upsell department is telling me that they are all gone. In fact she told me they only have a CC open.

I really would not mind booking another room and paying the single price in order to get that balcony. I just do not know that it would work. If I book the balcony online and there are none what happens? Am I stuck with two ocean views?

HAs anyone ever booked a guarantee and not received the cabin they were guaranteed? What did they do, and how did they compensate you? I would not even want the second cabin if that was the case.

I really would not mind booking another room and paying the single price in order to get that balcony. I just do not know that it would work. If I book the balcony online and there are none what happens? Am I stuck with two ocean views?

HAs anyone ever booked a guarantee and not received the cabin they were guaranteed? What did they do, and how did they compensate you? I would not even want the second cabin if that was the case.

IF you book a guaranteed balconie, you are guaranteed at least the lowest balcony category. They cannot/will not put you in any lower category then a balcony. Good luck.

CG

While it may be too late at this point, when you create a booking on-line at NCL's website, you do have the option of putting a courtesy hold on a reservation (rather than going to the last step of putting in your credit card and actually purchasing). For sailings leaving in a matter of days, the system will hold the reservation for two hours. For sailings further out, it will be a 24-hr hold. If your sailing is still displaying a balcony guarantee available, I would go through the motions and create a booking on line and select the "hold" option. Call NCL, give them the booking number of the reservation you've just created and see if you can get somewhere with it. Look at it this way -- you've got nothing to lose by trying!

Beav, Darn I did not know that. It is too late now as they have removed all balconies and only have insides listed but I will keep that in mind if this ever happens again although I know it will not because now that I know better I will only book balconies or suites.

Ok I thought I knew what I was doing and this is ALL my fault but I need some inside help here.

We have only cruised in suites before until this last trip on the Sky when I booked a balcony. I booked an inside cabin on the Spirit sailing next week. After being in a balcony I know that I can not spend two weeks in an inside cabin. I thought it would be fine but I now know better. I checked pricing online and saw that the balcony is only $100 more than the inside I booked. I called asking to upgrade to a balcony and was told there were none left. I told her they were still allowing people to book a guarantee online and she said she had no idea why. I hung up and called back hoping to get someone that knew more. The second agent said the same thing and said that there were no balconies left. The only thing I can think of is that they have guarantees left because they have pulled everything for upsells. I called the upsell department but they are not open until Monday. Now I am willing to pay what I need to in order to make sure we enjoy this cruise but I am confused as to why they would allow booking online if there are no cabins left. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

surprisingly The Spirit has great Oceanview cabins. This was my first time in an oceanview and loved it better than a balcony. It was very cozy and comfortable. Why not switch to an Oceanview?

Hey Sarah! Affter your last suite on the Pearl, anything will be a step down, but I hope you have a great time in the Caribbean.

Right!? From Garden Villa to inside...what's wrong with the world! :) That is certainly a reality check, but ahhh the carribean on a cruise ship...life is still grand.

They moved me to an ocean view at no charge a day or two ago and I have been calling everyday to watch for the balcony. The lady I call is so nice and she is trying so hard to find something for me but no luck yet. I just have to wait and see if some cancels. Thanks for sending good vibes my way!

I know the garden villa was awesome and my best friends and I are considering upgrading to the villa on the Gem. I am not a "suite snob" so I don't mind balconies and I thought an inside would be fine for us but after being on the Sky last week in a balcony with my DD (AND ALL HER STUFF) I saw how small a room can be with a 10 yo. I thought there s no way I will be able to do this in an inside. I am glad to know that the Ocean views are nice on this ship. That is comforting since I have to spend two weeks in it!

I am sure I will make it, lol.

Archived