Bomb fear delays 'Enhancement' debarkation

jleq

why is everything automatically a bomb these days?

Because the one they look the other way at, could be "the bomb" they are trained to look for.

We watched their dog sniff every load delivered to the ship on turn around day from our balcony. I was thrilled to see RCCL doing this. ;)

Live in NY & you will know why all suspect packages are considered a bomb. It is the now unfortunately way of life. It also asks the question how safe is our ports?

I am also a New Yorker and it still hurts as if yesterday and always will.

Because the one they look the other way at, could be "the bomb" they are trained to look for.

We watched their dog sniff every load delivered to the ship on turn around day from our balcony. I was thrilled to see RCCL doing this. ;)

I am also a New Yorker and it still hurts as if yesterday and always will.

I know how you feel. It will never, ever go away. Hopefully all the lines are doing this.

I wonder who paid for any fees involved for the passengers that missed their flights home and had to make alternate arrangements? :confused:

If the passengers booked their air on their own, then they were on the hook for any fees their airline charged them.

If it was cruiseline booked air, then hopefully RCCL took care of them and helped them get their flights rescheduled.

I lived through the IRA bombing of London, unfortunately when there are terrorists out there attacking innocent people you have to think that way, it becomes second nature. For all we know, that may have been a totally innocent parcel., or it may have been a trial to see if it got noticed and watch what the responses would be. It probabl;y was ionnocent, but having those responses in place is a deterent.

Perhaps it was deemed more dangerous to get people off, they would be more exposed. The land side was probalby evacuated. At least on the ship they had the protecion of the hull, and with the size fo the parcel it may have been judged suffcient protection. It may also have depended on the location of the parcel.

I wonder who paid for any fees involved for the passengers that missed their flights home and had to make alternate arrangements? :confused:

Who do you think should pay? :rolleyes: Certainly not the port authorities who were concerned for the safety of the passengers and crew and any personnel working at the pier. Paying a fee for missing their flights and having to make alternate arrangements is a small price for the passengers to pay to insure their safety. Unless they could find the person responsible for discarding the package, it is difficult to lay that cost on anyone else. It is also a very good argument for purchasing travel insurance.:)

"Enhancement? Is that a new ship I haven't heard of yet?"

It's a new name to take the "stretch" into consideration.

Excellant! :D

Got to sail on the Enhancement of the Enchantment a month after the stretch to New England. Did not see any stretch marks either. :)

It did seem odd to keep the folks on the ship...although if they stay away from windows and the side of the ship where the suspect package was located it may have been far safer to stay on the ship instead of in a terminal where there would be more glass to get blown out onto people.

Glad it was a false alarm.

I can not visualize the passengers getting off single file from the ship if the Captain announced, "please evacuate the ship in an orderly fashion as soon as possible".

Rumors would have spread and pandemonium would have set in. It would have been a nightmare of pushing and shoving. :(

We were on the Enchantment, and got off on Monday. We were sitting in the dining room port side waiting to get off. There was a line of people outside on the prom. deck, then back inside going down the stairs when the captain came on the PA system. He said the Port Auth. have closed the gangways and everyone should go back inside. A short while later someone asked everyone in the dining room to move to the other side of the room. ( about 20 people at this time).

They kept us informed as much as they could. Had to wait till the Fed's and bomb squad showed up. They also made everyone that had already gotten off the ship leave the terminal right away. Some were waiting for people still on the ship. They had to leave and wait for them at the airport or somewhere else.

We were sitting with a group of ladies, who had a 11:30am flight. Half of there group had gotten off the others were still sitting on the ship.

Don't know what happened to the ones who missed flights. Glad I was staying in Fort Laud. for the night.

Archived