Good News For Beer Lovers

SabreSailor

I don't think you catch the drift of what I said.... :D

Just being a smart a$$ :)

Even in a canoe (or a hammock, but thats a story for another thread *LOL*) if you aren't enjoying it, you aren't doing it right :) *LOL*

There WILL be a beer/ale venue - at least on 5 HAL ships (ms Statendam, ms Maasdam, ms Ryndam, ms Veendam and ms Rotterdam beginning in 2009 and 2010). From the news release (the last paragraph):

Spirits & Ales will feature an international selection of beers and premium whiskeys and brandies sure to entice even the most selective connoisseur. Here guests can drop by to enjoy a wide selection of beers on tap while watching sporting events or relax after some shopping in the nearby boutiques.

Finally HAL is seeing the light.........

Wow

1.soda (they don't sell Dr.Pepper,and I can't go 7 whole days without it)

2.Water

3. Coffee cups (the ones on the ship are too small)

4. Coffee press (the coffee on the ships tastes lousy)

5. Wine (I need a special blend of gluten free made in 1972)

6. Cheeseplate (I need to asphyxiate half of the ship)

7. Iron (I don't want my shorts and wife beater tee to be wrinkled on smart casual night)

8. Beer

This sounds like a tailgating/camping trip

redneck_wading_pool.jpg

camping.gif

Just being a smart a$$ :)

Even in a canoe (or a hammock, but thats a story for another thread *LOL*) if you aren't enjoying it, you aren't doing it right :) *LOL*

And even if it is done badly its still better that drinking a Bud. ;)

Pipedreams, you just crack me up!!!:D

Ironically, I was thinking of bringing two mason jars of my homeroast whole bean, and was pondering a Zassenhaus hand grinder just for my trip! The right model is narrow enough to fit inside my Bodum press when packing! :p

Just back from the Zuiderdam - and HAL's policy on what alcohol you can bring on board has apparently changed per a handout in the Welcome Abaord package. They now allow beer to be brought aboard (as well as champagne and wine), so you beer lovers who have been stuck with those bland lagers that HAL offers can buy whatever you'd like ashore and bring it back on board without the Beer Police confiscating it until the end of the voyage!

Okay all, so here's the word I got back. First off, I heard from my contact who was unaware of any change to policies, but a friend of a friend is on the current Zuiderdam sailing and I've been emailing with him quite a bit and asked if he could ask the front office.

Here's the reply I received:

Hey Brad. Have fun on your trip this weekend if I don't talk to you before then!! The Zuiderdam is great by the way. The refit changes are all really nice. Here's the scoop. Basically, as the ship has been in Europe for a while now, they weren't having to enforce the US regulations because the US was in no way associated with the itineraries, or at least that WAS the interpretation. As their policies haven't changed though and they realized (since Cruise Critic was mentioned) that this could ultimately cause some major confusion, they have removed it from their printed materials for cruises as they move forward. The policy is, and has been, wine and champagne only (but the good thing about HAL is that it's unlimited amounts of these ;-) ) So there ya go, I hope this info helps. Looks like we'll have to wait for that Spiritis and Ales bar on the older ships for a bigger beer venue (and maybe it'll overlap onto the rest of the fleet if it's popular enough... not the Mix concept, but at least more of a beer bar.pub) Take care. See you when you get back! -Jason

So there it is... Policy is still the same.

Sitting in a FREE internet cafe in Nassua, Bahamas right now!!

The Beverage Manager (sorry, can't recall his name) on the Eurodam was at the Meet and Greet yesterday and said it is still NOT the poilicy of HAL to allow beer to be brought onto ships. He was unaware that it was being explicitly allowed on the Zuiderdam, and speculated that it was an experiment. He said tyhat he does not forsee it being expanded to any other ships in the foreseeable future.

However - a couple in the waiting room in FLL who were at the turnaround of a b2b said that they were allow to openly bring a couple of six packs on board at a port just a few days before. In other words, the BM cannot control what security does or doesn't enforce at the gangway.

:( :(

• 2 months later...
i always drink Grolsch & Fosters.. They have Bud & Miller , plus Corona, Heiny, Becks and more!

As jercal says, total garbage. To a real beer lover, their beer selection is similar to providing a wine-lover with Ripple and Mad Dog 20-20! Their idea of a quality import is Amstel Light and Heinekens!

I happen to really enjoy good beer. I’m a home-brewer and a National-level beer judge. And HAL has SURELY let me down in the beer department! And you can’t even bring your own on board! Our last cruise was on Norwegian, and we really didn't much care for it. But they DID have several good beers at one of their bars! The wait staff had no clue about the beers, but they at least had a beer menu of a dozen or so from Great Britain, several from Germany, and even a couple of Belgians! And that's about the ONLY thing I can say good about Norwegian!

Wow-disappointing the beer rumor is not true, we just brewed a Christmas ale and a Trappist ("style" since we are not monks). Too heavy for warm temps anyway . Actually I would be more inclined to pick up a couple bottles of local stuff. We do this often on different lines and have never had an issue-although we have never brought more than 2-3 beers on-just enough to say good bye to what ever paradise is slipping off into the distance.

I HATE beers on cruise ships and rarely have one. Pure swill. I am not sure some people reading this thread realize mass market stuff is undrinkable to a fine beer fan.

Even an acceptable mass made beer such as Guinness is never stored (or poured ) properly. Interesting about NCL and the micros. That is promising assuming they do not have storage or serving issues. I like my micros but going NCL is a scary prospect.

Archived