Good News For Beer Lovers

SabreSailor

I'd still like to see HAL offer a selection of microbrews (preferably on tap). I really believe that this would bring a new degree of loyalty and also increase profits for HAL.

With the popularity of microbrews today it is a natural for any ship to include a pub like environment with microbrew selections. Personally I think it would be one of the more popular areas of the ship. Beer has come a long way.

I'd still like to see HAL offer a selection of microbrews (preferably on tap). I really believe that this would bring a new degree of loyalty and also increase profits for HAL.

I don't know why they don't do that all the time - we had Alaskan beer on tap on the Amsterdam on an Alaskan cruise last year. Good beer, salmon barbecued on the Lido deck - it was all good!

I, too, love a good microbrew, or any good stout or nut brown ale, and would love it if HAL added something like that to their on board selections so I could enjoy one in the dining room, lounge or bar. However, I would not lug a case or even a six-pack on board with me just to sit in my cabin and drink a quality beer, so this change in policy won't do much for me.

Scott

With the popularity of microbrews today it is a natural for any ship to include a pub like environment with microbrew selections. Personally I think it would be one of the more popular areas of the ship. Beer has come a long way.

I totally agree...with all the niche style areas of ships being put together these days, a brew pub would be an excellent idea. Feature several microbrews from the US and other areas of the world. Personally I would spend a fair amount of time in a location like that, especially since the era of the cigar bar seems to be on its way out.

This is intersting as someone else this past summer mentioned this when they wwere sailing on the Zuiderdam -- Mediterranean.

But no one an any other ship on any other cruise could nring beer on board.

Our newest documents -- Know before you go --

No Beer or Alcohol can be brought on board".

Oh yeah, I remember that now that you mention it. Maybe this is still experimental, on the Zuiderdam only??

While I applaud the change and can see it as a real bonus for "reasonable adults", I think it has just given us the best reason ever for "NOT" booking a cruise during Spring Break...

You needed another reason?

While I think it's great that HAL will now allow people to bring beer on board in addition to wine/champagne (hopefully people will do this within reason so everyone can enjoy the priviliege), I agree with the idea of a microbrewery type bar on board. I think it would be very popular; many ships have specialty martini bars and more and more are adding wine bars- why not beer?

We have never understood why ships have such poor beer selections. Now, I've never sailed HAL, but I'm guessing it's along the same lines as Carnival/Princess/RCCL selections which were pretty pathetic. We do buy wine on the ship and occasionally martinis but we're not big liquor drinkers so a better beer selection would certainly increase my spending.

I've spoken with three different people at HAL about this today, every one in an area above reservations, and they say there is NO change in the HAL policy allowing only wine and champagne to be carried on board. The best they could come up with is it might be a test on the Zuiderdam.

While I think it's great that HAL will now allow people to bring beer on board in addition to wine/champagne (hopefully people will do this within reason so everyone can enjoy the priviliege)....

Sadly, if people could be relied upon to "do this within reason," the cruise lines would never have had to implement the ban in the first place.

Scott

I just called HAL reservations (1-877-932-4259) and they said there was no change in policy – the only alcohol you are allowed to bring on board is wine and champagne. The reservations clerk did not know of any change to that policy, or any plans for change. Bummer. According to another query I made a few months ago, the Amsterdam beer menu on the Rio to Seattle cruise is the beer equivalent of carrying Mad Dog 20-20, Mogen David, and Ripple as the only items on their wine menu.

While on board the Eurodam last week for a tour, the cruise consultant that acted as our guide also mentioned that beer was permitted to be brought aboard by passengers.

It sounds as if they are changing their policy and it has not become official in terms of notification to everyone down the chain. This is interesting.

I totally agree...with all the niche style areas of ships being put together these days, a brew pub would be an excellent idea. Feature several microbrews from the US and other areas of the world. Personally I would spend a fair amount of time in a location like that, especially since the era of the cigar bar seems to be on its way out.

There WILL be a beer/ale venue - at least on 5 HAL ships (ms Statendam, ms Maasdam, ms Ryndam, ms Veendam and ms Rotterdam beginning in 2009 and 2010). From the news release (the last paragraph):

Mix and Mingle at Mix

An exciting new entertainment space called Mix is set to become the destination lounge where guests can meet and mingle throughout the day and night. Mix is an open and inviting space anchored by a pianist providing entertainment for three distinctly themed areas.

The bubbly will flow at Champagne, which offers a variety of 20 different champagnes and sparkling wines from around the world. The centerpiece of this bar is a cool, ice-filled counter top chilling champagne bottles that invites guests to indulge by the glass or by the bottle served in traditional silver buckets. This venue will offer events such as late champagne breakfast, pre-lunch Mimosa and Bellini hour, champagne tea time and pre-dinner champagne hour with caviar canapés. Champagne will be the ship's premier celebration venue.

Martinis serves up 25 Grey Goose martinis elegantly offered in individual shakers as well as a full range of cocktails. Guests can also enjoy a martini flight made up of several mini martini concoctions. The martini flight includes Holland America Line's signature martini, the Yellow Tulip, a mixture of Grey Goose vodka, lychee juice, pineapple juice, guava juice, coconut cream and fresh lime juice. Other martinis included in the flight are the Peartini, Cosmopolitan, Sunshine Martini, Rum Sundae and High Tide Martini. A house specialty will be a signature Martini for Two with aged Cognac served with a dish of caviar and traditional garnishes.

Spirits & Ales will feature an international selection of beers and premium whiskeys and brandies sure to entice even the most selective connoisseur. Here guests can drop by to enjoy a wide selection of beers on tap while watching sporting events or relax after some shopping in the nearby boutiques.

who drinks beer after college?

You live a protected life. lol

Beer is now an art form with the breweries that have changed the beer from Bud to specialty beers. They really do consider themselves to be connoisseurs. This "ain't" your daddy's beer anymore. :D

Seriously, beer has come of age with the addition of pubs and brewmeisters in almost every major city so the attitude has changed.

Archived