What to carry at ports of call?

Hatty324

I am stopping at Ocho Rios, Grand Caymens, Cozumel, and Princess Cays. Both my girlfriend and I have gotten the "new" Passport Cards that the government just started issuing back in June.

Do you need to carry your Passport with you at any of these Ports? Or is just a picture ID good enough? If so I assume my Passport Cards would do the trick?

The passport "cards" that I believe you are talking about are only for driving back and forth to Mexico, from what I understand. You will need to get a regular passport which costs approximately $50. When we got ours we did not have it rushed but we still received them 7 days after applying. As for what to bring to the ports maybe someone with more experience will hop in and let you know! ;)

Alice

We always carry a color copy of our passport when in port and leave the actual passport in our safe. Always leave a color copy of passport at home with someone who can be reached in an emergency. If your pocket is picked and your passport is stolen you are in for some trouble without knowing your #. Better to be safe than sorry.

In response about the passport cards, if you read on the government website they work by sea in the carribeans, so I am assuming they will do just fine, didn't know if anyone else has had actual success with this.

So from what I am understanding, you are required to have some form of id (like a driver's license) but a passport is not required, although it is suggested??

I am stopping at Ocho Rios, Grand Caymens, Cozumel, and Princess Cays. Both my girlfriend and I have gotten the "new" Passport Cards that the government just started issuing back in June.

Do you need to carry your Passport with you at any of these Ports? Or is just a picture ID good enough? If so I assume my Passport Cards would do the trick?

All you need to take with you at each of these ports is your sail and sign card and a picture ID. We always plan our days so that we have plenty of time to get back to the ship before its scheduled to sail away so we don't take our passports for any of these ports. Enjoy your cruise!:)

The ONLY time I bring a passport off the ship is when I am on a private tour and it's the last port in that country. Otherwise, I bring only my cruise card, a picture ID, a credit card and some cash, a bit of money, hand sanitizer, tissues and a washcloth or handtowel, and water. And of course you can't forget your camera. There are some ports where you are required to bring the passport but the Patter will tell you that. It's safer just to leave the passport in the safe in your room on the ship.

Also take your Princess patter for the day because it has the name and phone number of the Ship's Agent for that port (in case of emergency or if you miss the ship) and the ship's departure time, and a watch with ship's time.

Archived