50 dollar salary?

Glassrobinson

From that link it seems that the most basic cleaner job, where you clean public areas and receive no tips, is $600 per month (presumably, these people also get free accommodation and food, worth another $600 really).

A room steward, who does not need to have prior experience, will earn at least $1800 a month. If passengers are generous with the tips, they can earn $400 extra a month (or more, maybe the cruise line does not know about all of the tips).

A head room steward can earn $2800. That's $ 33600 p.a., so not too bad, considering they also have free meals, travel the world and don't have to worry about accommodation for most of the year (unless they have a family to support).

It is good to be generous, but we should give to the most needy! That being said, I would tip extra if the service was exceptional.

I spoke with a cab driver on our last cruise in Cozumel. The min wage in Mexico is $5.00 a day. $5.00 x 30 days is = $150 per month.:eek: .. all the ship jobs (even the lowest paid) are better than they have at home. We don't realize how good we have it in the United States of America.:D God bless us all that we were born in the USA and for the posters that complain about auto tip system :mad: ...well I always tip extra. Also for these workers just to be able to be on a cruise ship is most likely be as close to a vacation they will ever have.

Also, please read what the OP said. They said $50 for THREE MONTHS, not $50/month. That is what I responded to, but they still make more than that. I also waited tables in 1978-1980 while in college and even in a pizza place I made $1.30/hour plus tips which HAD to equal at least minimum wage or my employer had to make up the difference, which never happened. Even then, I made more than $50/month in wages alone only working 20 or so hours/week.

My point was that if he said he only made $50 for THREE MONTHS, he was conning the op's family member, assuming of course the OP isn't just trying to stir something up here, because as well all know, people NEVER come on here and post just to get something going.

If you take the autotip off they are obligated to pool what you give them including any overage. You would be better off leaving the autotip on and giving them any extra if you feel they deserve it and want to give it to them. Then, they are able to keep the extra and not pool it.

Can you back that statement up?

Steve

Remember folks....The nice people that wait on us hand and foot on these cruises come from countries where they might only make a couple of dollars a day. They do well compared to where they are from. Many have nice homes in their country compared to other people. If you think some are unhappy with their jobs ask them (or other crew members) how long they have worked for the cruise industry. I have met some that have done it for 40 years.....and many that have more than 20 years in.....

Did a quick search...I love the internet. Here is what a Carnival employee makes....(they by the way are contracted not employed)

http://www.cruiseplacement.com/html/hd.htm

Notice at the bottom of that page are other departments you can click on.....

Hope this helps clear things up.....

Where do the first 3 people on the page of this link you provided get their gratuities from?:confused:

Not me!

Answer..............the reason they like the autotip! So they get their share from the crew you think you are tipping.Without the autotip,the crew puts the cash in their pocket.

Steve

If anyone was to come up to me while I was working and ask me what I was paid, I would tell them it was none of their business. So why do some think that it is all right to ask personal questions of the hired help on board a cruise ship?

I quess it is dependant to how the conversation goes. You think?:rolleyes:

If anyone was to come up to me while I was working and ask me what I was paid, I would tell them it was none of their business. So why do some think that it is all right to ask personal questions of the hired help on board a cruise ship?

Not everybody feels the same way about it as you do. if someone asks what I make, and it's reasonable considering the circumstances, I'll tell them. What's the big deal? It's not something that frequently comes up in casual conversation, though, to be honest.

It is funny that in some areas discussion of salary is taboo while in others it's just not.

The $50 is about right. It is probably more than the average person in the US is making, and with the tips thrown in most of them make a LOT more than the average US worker.

Why?

1.The money that they make is taxed not at US rates but at the rate in their home, and most countries do not pay income tax.

2. There housing and food expenses are fully covered as are all medical expenses.

3. In other words everything that they need to live very nicely is paid for and they are still paid on top of that, PLUS they get their tips which range from a low of about $250 per week up to $1000 per week.

So they end up after all their expenses with somewhere between $1000 and $4000 a month.

FInd me the average service industry worker in the US who clears that much after ALL living expenses are covered, or for that matter any blue collar worker in the US who has that much extra income to save each month so I can go apply for their job.

Yes these guys work hard, but don't ever think that it they do not earn a nice income.

The cruise ship employee who is clearing $4000 a month is comparable to the investment banker who is making $1M a month... yes, it can happen but it's rare. Also, I disagree with your statement about most countries not having income tax; my understanding is that most do, although with a more simple structure and not as strongly enforced.

Also, when you talk about "ALL living expenses", don't forget that many of these people have families that they support back home, including expenses such as housing, utilities, etc. I don't know, nor would I assume, that medical expenses for their families are covered.

JMO, but their lifestyles are not "average" by American standards. If you're willing to leave your family for 6-10 months at a time and live in the confines of a ship or an oil rig or whatever, I'm sure you can find such jobs. The Alaskan pipeline used to be one. The military also comes to mind.

I say all this because I used to own a restaurant in the BVI and had a lot of "down-islanders" working for me. They left their families for years at a time to work in the BVI because the pay was better and it was in US dollars. Many would work 2-3 jobs, 10 hours a day, knowing that they'd be able to "retire" and go back home when they're 40-45 years old. Yeah, it sounds great to think about retiring at 45 but miss out on watching your kids growing up? And we're talking just as many mothers as fathers. Well, I, for one, was glad not to have to do that.

I don't think they would stay working on these ships if the money wasn't good. Wonder why the Hawaii cruise ships aren't doing as well? Because they have to pay according to US standards, and the cruiselines don't make as much money because of this, and try and find any US citizens to work the hours that these guys do. I haven't been on one of these Hawaiian cruises, but friends have and said the service wasn't nearly as good as the other cruises. You couldn't pay me enough to be away from my family for so long at a time, but they don't seem to mind too much because it gets them things they wouldn't normally be able to afford.

Also, please read what the OP said. They said $50 for THREE MONTHS, not $50/month. That is what I responded to, but they still make more than that. I also waited tables in 1978-1980 while in college and even in a pizza place I made $1.30/hour plus tips which HAD to equal at least minimum wage or my employer had to make up the difference, which never happened. Even then, I made more than $50/month in wages alone only working 20 or so hours/week.

My point was that if he said he only made $50 for THREE MONTHS, he was conning the op's family member, assuming of course the OP isn't just trying to stir something up here, because as well all know, people NEVER come on here and post just to get something going.

Actually I am NOT one to stir things up, just wanted some information and figured I'd get plenty here. No worries. And thank you all for your various, informative replies, one of the main reasons people love this site!

Can you back that statement up?

Steve

Nobody can.........

I agree!

I don't think they would stay working on these ships if the money wasn't good.

Bingo!

During our cruise on the last day, my daughter was asking our room steward questions...like if she liked working on the ship, etc. She went on to say about how less then 50% of the passengers even tip at all. She gave a real sob story that I thought was very inappropriate. I think I was conned too! :)

I don't know about wait staff or room staff, but my daughter interviewed with Steiner (the co. that has the contract to run the spa) to be a hair stylist. They get 9% of what service they do, plus their tips. They also have to pay $25 a day chair rental and $10 a week to the cabin steward. Now yes it includes room and board. But the pay is very low. As a stylist in a salon here in the states, she gets 50% plus tips.

Since I have found this out, I really tip alot extra.

I don't know for sure but am guessing that could very well be correct, though he probably shouldn't have mentioned it. Cruise ship employment wages are not the same as on land, or even here in the USA. If a cabin steward has 20 cabins assigned, each with 2 people (could be more), at $3.50 per person per day for a 7 day cruise, that is $980 in a week assuming everyone tips. Not too shabby for some of them I'm sure! I have no clue if they pay taxes or not.

Just keep in mind before getting excited about this figure that the room steward has a team that also gets a cut of that money. On each of our cruises our room steward has a morning person that works with him/her and an evening person that works with them. They too get a portion of this money. :)

In 2004 on Glory our head waitress told us she made $79 a week plus tips. She said she worked 12 hour days, (I forget how much time off). She told us most of her money came from tips. She did go on to say she had purchased a new home, new car for herself, one for her mother, and she was actually considered wealthy in her country now. This was her last cruise, she had been working with them for 6 or 8 years now. She had some medical condition and she could no longer carry the heavy trays. She was very nice and she did not volunteer the info. My DF asked her the questions & she would ans. She did not talk bad about the cruiseline she actually talked good about them. She said she would not have all that she does if it were not for the cruiseline.

Remember folks....The nice people that wait on us hand and foot on these cruises come from countries where they might only make a couple of dollars a day. They do well compared to where they are from. Many have nice homes in their country compared to other people. If you think some are unhappy with their jobs ask them (or other crew members) how long they have worked for the cruise industry. I have met some that have done it for 40 years.....and many that have more than 20 years in.....

Did a quick search...I love the internet. Here is what a Carnival employee makes....(they by the way are contracted not employed)

http://www.cruiseplacement.com/html/hd.htm

Notice at the bottom of that page are other departments you can click on.....

Hope this helps clear things up.....

You are presenting as FACT an ADVERTISEMENT from a headhunter that gets a commission equal to a years pay. The is no governing authority anywhere to insure that a single word is true in their add. Nor do they actually say that they are in any way connected to any of the cruiselines listed in their add. Strangely, if you click on Carnival, the add says you will make less on Carnival because it is the party ship. The fact they are using an idea more than 20 years out of date, lends little credence to their claims.

Plus the actual sailors jobs on board [deck crew, engine room, etc.] come through the Maritime Unions.

And jobs like salon worker are hired by the salon contractor, not the cruiseline.

Do they end up placing anyone on a cruise job? I'm sure they do place some. At the incomes stated???? Not in a million years.

Dan

I have no idea what they really make. What I do know, is that I don't want to have to make my bed, clean my cabin, or cook and serve 3 meals a day. :D

What they do makes me have a good vacation. If they do it well, then it's worth it to tip extra.

Before my DIL arrived in America, she was a tenured teacher of the deaf in her home country.

Her salary was $88.00 a month, and she supported (not well) a family of five. They had nothing and were hungry many times.

Every time I see my cabin steward, I see her face, and I know what my tip means.

Just my 2 cents.:)

Pat

You are presenting as FACT an ADVERTISEMENT from a headhunter that gets a commission equal to a years pay. The is no governing authority anywhere to insure that a single word is true in their add. Nor do they actually say that they are in any way connected to any of the cruiselines listed in their add. Strangely, if you click on Carnival, the add says you will make less on Carnival because it is the party ship. The fact they are using an idea more than 20 years out of date, lends little credence to their claims.

Plus the actual sailors jobs on board [deck crew, engine room, etc.] come through the Maritime Unions.

And jobs like salon worker are hired by the salon contractor, not the cruiseline.

Do they end up placing anyone on a cruise job? I'm sure they do place some. At the incomes stated???? Not in a million years.

Dan

Thanks for clearing that up Dan.

Archived