Family Royal Suite vs. Two D1 rooms

gazuccio

My family and I are planning a cruise on Freedom of the Seas next summer. I have the opportunity to take a Royal Family suite at $12,441.00 vs. 2 D1s at $9551.00. My two questions are is this worth it? Am I getting a good price? And does anyone have pics of the Royal Family Suite on Freedom of the Seas?!?!?! Thank you in advance to all those who respond!

I was in a similar situation as you. However, we decided on the 2 balcony rooms. Even though the family suite has a seperate bedroom for the kids, it's still more private being in a different room altogether ;)

Plus, you save about $3k. That's enough for excursions for everyone for the entire cruise... a no brainer for me.

My family and I are planning a cruise on Freedom of the Seas next summer. I have the opportunity to take a Royal Family suite at $12,441.00 vs. 2 D1s at $9551.00. My two questions are is this worth it? Am I getting a good price? And does anyone have pics of the Royal Family Suite on Freedom of the Seas?!?!?! Thank you in advance to all those who respond!

That does seem high. I have two E1's booked on the Liberty in June for $7606. There are 5 of us as well. The price for two D1's was almost $1000 more, with not a big difference in room size, plus I liked the location of the E1's. We were able to book them next to each other - we are hoping to be able to open the divider between balconies and have one big one, but everyones mess stays in their own space. I did check on the Royal Family Suite, but it wasn't available for our sailing.

The price does seem very high for the 2 D1s. We were going to book 2 D1s for our Liberty cruise last year (booked a GS instead) and it was going to cost around $5800 total (taxes and insurance included). We were 2 adults and 2 children.

What about doing a D1 and an inside cabin across the hall from the D1? Do your kids really need a balcony? You could save a lot of money by getting them an inside across the hall or something like that.

Anyways, I know this doesn't answer your question, but I'd definitely go for 2 rooms instead of one.

OP,

The age of your children would have something to do with the decision, if it were me. AND, can you get connecting balcony cabins?

Teens or older? Two balcony D1 -- no question. Privacy, ability to sleep earlier/later without disturbing others.

Toddlers or young elem. school age? Family Suite since you and your partner will need to supervise them closely.

If you can get connecting balcony cabins that would also afford you the proximity to little ones for security.

Lynne in Boston

If your kids are over 12, definitely get two balcony rooms with the connecting door. You can also have the steward open the sliding door between the two balconies for added supervision.

Just FYI, my wife and I are paying $4,300 (this includes airfare) for a D-1 stateroom.

Archived