PB Tom, items at Christmas for Chrysalis?

splinkaone

Hi Tom, we won't be in Cozumel until Dec. 05, but I noticed you take school supplies for the kids. I was wondering if there is anything we can bring in early Dec. that the kids might need, or even something they just might have fun with? I will be bringing my own kids (BTW, my son shares your B-Day!) and I'm sure they would enjoy putting some things together to bring, it will be a good project for them. Can't wait until next year to be sitting on your lovely beach.

I used to be a kindergarten teacher before I moved here. I don't really enjoy Christmas and always told my students not to get my presents but they want to get you SOMETHING. So, I turned the whole thing into a lesson of giving each year. I had them bring in dog and cat food for one of our local animal shelters. The first year (3 years ago) they brought in about #200 of food. Well, things kinda grew. This past Christmas, the whole student body got involved...I was the cool teacher, they all liked me. We took 3 huge truck fulls weighing over 1 ton!

Okay...back on subject...wouldn't it be neat if a classroom/school could "adopt" the Chrysalis kids? I know that civics and community service is usually something every class does. I've seen kids donate to the local women's shelter and orphanages and homeless shelters...but this is something different and the kids here would be beyond thrilled! I bet any stateside teacher could come up with some small, packable, inexpensive items that the students could bring in (socks, simple tshirts, coloring books, crayons, small toys - trucks/dolls/balls/etc, toothbrushes/cool toothpaste, snacks..... The kids could even just collect pennies or lunch change or take up a collection. Cash is very easy to bring down and doesn't take up much space in a suitcase. I may be stepping out of line since I'm not with Chrysalis but I think it is a great idea.

Although Chrysalis would be thrilled to have American classrooms sponsor their students, contributions made really need to be in the form of cash, school supplies or items for yardsales to raise more... you guessed it... cash. Just about everything needed is available down here. Many items at the same price as the U.S. But in addition to school supplies, Chrysalis also furnishes school shoes and uniforms, which must be purchased here.

What Chrysalis asks is, if a sponsor is matched to a specific student, that they not contribute special items to that child. We recently had a request from someone who wanted to donate a laptop to their child. Since Chrysalis cannot match that gift for all the other sponsored students, it put us in a difficult position. Also, with 273 students, we simply do not have enough volunteers to help deliver special gifts.

Donations are always welcome. It's hard to say "no" to generosity. Please understand that there are better and easier ways to give.

If anyone seriously wants to do something for Mexican children in need at Christmas, please email me at:

barefoot@prodigy.net.mx

There's another organization I work with just at Christmas time. I cannot post about it directly as it would violate board regulations.

Thank you all!

Archived