Carnival Valor - problems in Roatan

Luckysll

Just heard from a friend who is currently on the Carnival Valor. They were supposed to stop in Roatan, but there is some unrest there and the Captain decided not to go there and they will be going to Progesso instead.

Just curious if anyone knows what the problems are in Roatan and wonder if it may affect other cruises. Also, has anyone else ever missed a port due to "unrest" at that port?

I'm an in no way, shape or form, questioning the Captain's decision (and neither is my friend), I fully understand and support that the Captain's first priority is the safety of the passengers and crew. Just curious if it's happened to others?

Word in the Roatan forums was that there is a new increase in electricity rates of 100% and the citizens aren't too happy about it. Has had peacefull demonstrations soon but has the capability to get violent.

That is what I read, so hope that answers some questions.

NCL Pearl missed the port for the same reason, it seems as though the local electric company was allowed to move their pricing up 300% and there was some riots and unrest with in the country.

There is a thread on it on the NCL board.

we had that happen to us on the miracle last march, supposed to go to costa rica, but there was supposed to be a strike of some sort that would have interefered with port workers and potential safety to the guests..so we skipped costa rica and ended up in roatan...it ended up being my favorite stop on the cruise, it was a very beautiful island (atleast where i took my excursion to)

i havent heard of what this issue is in roatan now, its too bad they are missing the port but im sure they will still have a great time

We missed a port in Cartagena several years ago due to some uprising and got stuck with a port visit in Nassau at the beginning to make up for it. I really was looking for the 3 seas days not Nassau, sea days then the Panama Canal. Oh well things happen for a reason I guess. We still had a great time, eventhought we were the youngest people on the ship (Island Princess). Its all about how you make it. The self comentary between us on the "Rascal" races on rough seas days definately made up for it!

Seriously 95% of the pax were over 65. I have the picures to prove this!Nothing against the older crowd per se, but when you get that many together, well plan on hearing a lot of complaining....its the mob mentality factor times 100 x old crumedgon attitude!!!!!!

It was my one and only non Carnival cruies.....well I'm one away from platinum now! Whats that tell ya!

Nice ship....too bad it closed down around 6:30 every night. I think I even saw Matlock on tv one night!!!!:eek: I told everyone with us that if I saw Angela Lansbury, I was jumping ship at the next port!:D

I'm sad for the people getting screwed with their electric and the passengers that missed out on that wonderful port. :( Roatan is one of my top 3 ports. I loved it there.

I hope everything gets resolved. I would assume they are definitely going to miss the tourist dollars. :(

We missed Labadee Haiti many years ago due to unrest. We went to Coco Cay (if I remember correctly) the RCCL private island instead.

I was also on a Carnival ship about 8 years ago and we were in St. Croix. We were the last ship (so we were told) that would be docking there due to an influx of violence and crime. Funny thing was, we were supposed to leave port at about 6 pm, but there was a street carnival going on, and they made and an announcement that morning that we would stay in port until 10 pm so that we could enjoy the street carnival. It was AWESOME!!!!! We had a great time, one of the best nights on a cruise and we saw no violence or crime (thank god).

On the NCL board there is a longer thread about this. There are several posters that indicate that meetings have taken place between the mayor and others that have helped settle the conflict. Someone also posted a reply they received from Fins and Flippers. I hope this is resolved for all the people of Roatan (and also for my stop there a week from tomorrow)

I will be on this itinerary in a couple weeks and as much as I understand why the Captain has decided not to go (wouldn't want my life in danger) I am kind of dissapointed they decided to go to Progreso and not another island. Hoping everything will be ok by the time we board.

Archived