Tipping with cash??

mrsfuzzmo

We enjoy the bar and getting to know bartenders. While we know to tip on the S&S card, are the bartenders allowed to receive cash tips as well? Doesn't hurt the quality of drinks to slip them a $5 every now and then I'm sure, but I don't want to even try that if it's against the rules and could get them in trouble.

We enjoy the bar and getting to know bartenders. While we know to tip on the S&S card, are the bartenders allowed to receive cash tips as well? Doesn't hurt the quality of drinks to slip them a $5 every now and then I'm sure, but I don't want to even try that if it's against the rules and could get them in trouble.

Definitely tip with cash - much more desirable than SS tips. Also, I bring $2 bills (or you can use gold coins) for tipping. They always remember me after that. Bottom line is make "friends" with a bartender or two, treat them with respect, and they will definitely take care of you. :cool: (Of course, they should be treated with respect anyway ;))

I heard they don't like $2.00 bills or gold coins because they look fake and they can't use them in machines.

Always took them from me with gusto, lol. Not sure why they would turn down any tip, even if it looked like monopoly money. ;)

I have had a porter ask me if it was real. I said, "as real as a $2 bill". :D

I can't believe I am telling this to a perfect stranger. :p :cool:

We always look for the places we want to hang out at & find the good, fun bartender. Right off the bat we hand over $5.00 & say

" tell you what, you take care of us & we'll take care of you !" They always do & we have a great time with them. They will even tell us when they get assigned to another lounge or if they are working things such as the Captain's welcome party or the pool deck.

EXCELLENT!! Thanks for the replies! Just haven't cruised Carnival in a while and didn't want to get anyone fired! I will definitely take some small bills with me for this purpose only (though, I won't take $2 bills, as I've heard they are almost worthless to employees, as they are not widely recognized and it's more work for them to try and use it.)

Thanks everyone!

I think it's great that everyone is giving extra tips...but...does this mean bartenders have an expectation of a cash tip over and above the 15% they get automatically on S&S? When on land, I always tip $1 per drink, lots of people don't tip at all. I think that's why they have the automatic tip - so the bartenders don't get snubbed. But shouldn't the 15% S&S tip get me great service and delicious drinks? Or, do I have to pay my regular $1 tip as well. For a $5 drink, the 15% automatic tip is $0.75. Add to that my $1 tip and you have 1.75 tip for a $5 drin k. That's 35%. A bit high unless the service is THAT much better than expected.

I guess my point, and I appologize for being long winded here - I'm relatively new to the board so I'm sure this has been covered - is that it's starting to sound like you have to tip 35% in order to get a good drink. Fortunately, I'm not a heavy drinker, and I can comfortably afford the $10 in extra bar tips for the duration of my trip. It would just be nice to have had tips covered with the S&S.

Can I increase my automated tips from 15% to 20%?

EXCELLENT!! Thanks for the replies! Just haven't cruised Carnival in a while and didn't want to get anyone fired! I will definitely take some small bills with me for this purpose only (though, I won't take $2 bills, as I've heard they are almost worthless to employees, as they are not widely recognized and it's more work for them to try and use it.)

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for adding the part about the $2 bills, d'oh! :eek: (I've never had anyone complain. :cool:)

In my younger days:eek: I bartended PT, in the banquet dept for a hotel chain. We weren't allowed to put out a "tip jar", but believe me, you always remembered who gave you a cash tip. Was it expected...no, was it appreciated...yes.

Drinks made with a little extra punch, definitely YES. I always take care of my bartender and for that matter, any food service or service provider.

I think it's great that everyone is giving extra tips...but...does this mean bartenders have an expectation of a cash tip over and above the 15% they get automatically on S&S? When on land, I always tip $1 per drink, lots of people don't tip at all. I think that's why they have the automatic tip - so the bartenders don't get snubbed. But shouldn't the 15% S&S tip get me great service and delicious drinks? Or, do I have to pay my regular $1 tip as well. For a $5 drink, the 15% automatic tip is $0.75. Add to that my $1 tip and you have 1.75 tip for a $5 drin k. That's 35%. A bit high unless the service is THAT much better than expected.

I guess my point, and I appologize for being long winded here - I'm relatively new to the board so I'm sure this has been covered - is that it's starting to sound like you have to tip 35% in order to get a good drink. Fortunately, I'm not a heavy drinker, and I can comfortably afford the $10 in extra bar tips for the duration of my trip. It would just be nice to have had tips covered with the S&S.

Right, you will get good service and quality drinks throughout your cruise. BUT, we tend to like to meet and really get to know a couple of bartenders on our cruise, as we like to drink our cocktails. Socializing and learning about the employees and where they come from is a part of the enjoyment of the cruise for us. We tip extra on land if we get exceptional service in hopes that we are "well" taken care of. It's no different on board.

Many people don't carry any cash with them while onboard, which is understandable, and that's why they add the additonal tip onto any drinks served.

We just give a little above and beyond because we want to.

You will get the same service regardless if you tip above the 15%....

The reason the auto tip is added to your S&S is that it eliminates the need to carry cash, thus the reason nothing is sold on the ship using a cash transaction.........

As many drinks that we buy that 15% adds up very quickly. There is a reason why they hustle;) We do not tip above the 15%..........don't feel you need to in order to get better service;)

If you find your drink is too weak, let the bartender know and they will fix it..........

Archived