Do all TAs give OBC?????

I know I am going to get yelled at on here because I once said this before on another thread and I was put in my place but I will say it again........

There are some people here that believe if they use a TA the only good they provide is OBC. But GOOD TA's are useful for other things as well. My point of my post is to shed some light on possibly why sometimes you may not get OBC. May not mean the TA does not appreciate your business. In some instances it may not be feasable - especially if its a promo rate.

I am not trying to side with TAs since I am one. I am in the business and I am just trying to provide some insight from the other side. I wish I can give everyone OBC!

I see no reason why you should get yelled at for this. This is a very clear, articulate and accurate statement about what TA's do, and the realities behind your business.

I have used full-service TA's before. For example, I did a complicated land-based trip to Hong Kong and Bali last September, in which I did some of my own research, but also relied on a TA who is an Asia expert to do a lot of research and planning for me. In this case, I actually saved hundreds of dollars by using her, in addition to getting fabulous service, and the benefit of her in-depth knowledge of a region I knew little about. She worked hard for me, and I wouldn't have considered trying to talk her down in price. I'm sure she made a nice, hefty commission off me - and she earned it.

For my upcoming trip, I have no actual need for a TA. My pre-cruise stay is centered around scuba diving, and I am working with a local dive shop to design the best deal for me. And, being an experienced cruiser, I booked my own cruise directly with the cruise line. Hence, all I need a TA for is to take my existing booking and transfer it. My feeling is, why should I pay the same price as a client who is going to take hours of the TA's time for the same cruise - when I'm going to take minutes? In fact, I have no reason to even bother transferring to a TA other than the OBC. For that reason, I feel no hesitation in asking for one.

If a cruise sale's numbers do not lend themselves to a large OBC, then this will be reflected, I'm sure, in all the quotes I get. And since I have no need for additional services, I will go with the TA that gives me the best price - that will be my sole buying decision.

I appreciate your post, nycruiser. You stated your case very politely. Unfortunately, there are other TA's in here who are so incensed over us telling potential clients that they can ask for OBC's that they got downright abusive. I was actually called a "bottom feeder" for telling another member that it's okay to ask for an OBC. So your post is refreshing!

I know I am going to get yelled at on here because I once said this before on another thread and I was put in my place but I will say it again........

There are some people here that believe if they use a TA the only good they provide is OBC. But GOOD TA's are useful for other things as well. My point of my post is to shed some light on possibly why sometimes you may not get OBC. May not mean the TA does not appreciate your business. In some instances it may not be feasable - especially if its a promo rate.

I am not trying to side with TAs since I am one. I am in the business and I am just trying to provide some insight from the other side. I wish I can give everyone OBC!

I am appreciative of what you are telling and certainly understand your point that there are times a TA cannot give those OBC and the point that a TA is not only good for providing an OBC... I am a believer that SERVICE has a VALUE and that this should be factored into any purchase you make INCLUDING Travel Assistance ! Kudos to TA's (including mine) that do a great job out there.... mine sometimes can give a OBC now and then, but sometimes they get me such a low rate I KNOW IT IS NOT POSSIBLE......When is the last time you gave a gift to a TA for all the hard work they did even when it was an inexpensive cruise ? Let's put the shoe on the other foot and try it on for size !

When is the last time you gave a gift to a TA for all the hard work they did even when it was an inexpensive cruise ? Let's put the shoe on the other foot and try it on for size !

Wellll...I'm not generally in the habit of giving gifts to the merchants with whom I do business. As far as I'm concerned, my gift to them for good service is continuing to give them my business!

But I have sent thank-you's to service people who have done a good job for me in the past, so it's not without precedence. I just think sometimes people forget that this is, after all, a business relationship - and they are already getting something from us. (Our business!)

Call me old fashioned, but I was always taught that you should recognize people for the services they provide to you.... I always send my TA a holiday gift in appreciation for all the great travel advice and great rates they locate me and my family. After every trip they have arranged, I too send along a nice note of thanks and brief synopsis of how the trip went.

That being said, I also like to thank our postal worker (mail man) for all he does for me....

Even though we pay for services i.e. restaurant, cruise staff, hotel maids, etc....I think all people in the service industry deserve to get a note of thanks in some form or fashion, INCLUDING TA's !!!

The public in general is too quick to complain and not recognize for good service.... I believe it is appreciated and will continue my practices of saying THANKS and would only hope that others would do the same and make someones day for a change rather than just worrying about themselves and the service they get. Just my opinion and not looking to be challenged on it.

Call me old fashioned, but I was always taught that you should recognize people for the services they provide to you.... I always send my TA a holiday gift in appreciation for all the great travel advice and great rates they locate me and my family. After every trip they have arranged, I too send along a nice note of thanks and brief synopsis of how the trip went.

That being said, I also like to thank our postal worker (mail man) for all he does for me....

Even though we pay for services i.e. restaurant, cruise staff, hotel maids, etc....I think all people in the service industry deserve to get a note of thanks in some form or fashion, INCLUDING TA's !!!

The public in general is too quick to complain and not recognize for good service.... I believe it is appreciated and will continue my practices of saying THANKS and would only hope that others would do the same and make someones day for a change rather than just worrying about themselves and the service they get. Just my opinion and not looking to be challenged on it.

this is one of the nicest posts I have seen in a LONNNNNNNGGGGG time. We do appreciate when clients say thanks and it really makes our day. We have a thankless job and sometimes I think some people only use Ta's to have someone to blame if things go wrong. I have only been a TA since March and I have already seen multiple examples of this.

But on the other hand the first honeymooners I booked way back in March just got back from their honeymoon cruise on the Mariner and sent me a bouquet of flowers, it was the first time I have gotten something like this and my coworkers were poking fun at me when I got very emotional over them. :D:)

They are fixed costs. For the sailing I gave an example for all cabins pay the port tax, gov tax and fuel fee.

My comment about the 700-800 was an estamation of how much non commissionable items run for a typical $3000-$5000 - They could even run more if there is a third and fourth passenger involved. My point is to keep in mind that a portion of your cruise - the TA does not make commission on. Such as in my example of a 36.00 commission. How could I give a $25 OBC on that or a $30 fruit basket. Not all cruise lines offer gifts under $25.00. RCI and Carnival do but they are the exception.

Thanks for your response. What I was trying to reconcile was what is available from am TA, if anything for an obc. If a couple books an inside cabin for $800 and another couple books a suite for $3,000, there is clealy more profit for the agency for the suite couple therefore more available for an obc. Am I missing something?

Thanks Sue L....Good luck in your new proffesion and I hope you get lottsa new clients and referrals... I was just trying to remind folks to show a little appreciation to all those involved in service. I know the first time I got my TA a little thank you gift from a port of call, she was thrilled because it was something she had said she had always wanted and just never picked up..... she too had a tear in her eye when I delivered it to her. I think that is what really set the tone between her and I and we have grown to be good friends and I send her many referrals too !

Thanks Sue L....Good luck in your new proffesion and I hope you get lottsa new clients and referrals... I was just trying to remind folks to show a little appreciation to all those involved in service. I know the first time I got my TA a little thank you gift from a port of call, she was thrilled because it was something she had said she had always wanted and just never picked up..... she too had a tear in her eye when I delivered it to her. I think that is what really set the tone between her and I and we have grown to be good friends and I send her many referrals too !

You are a dream client...LOL. I have already gotten a couple of repeats and lots of referrals which is great. Even though the economy sucks we have been doing well and people are still booking. We had a ton of bookings yesterday during the sale .

Thanks... but I am not looking for recognition on this. My TA visits CC and offers useful suggestions (simply because they love their job I think !) and does not do it to gain clients. I think it is a good idea as she not only offers free assistance, but also gets to learn more and more from experienced cruisers too ! Oh and BTW... I certainly would not divulge my TA's screen name either, for fear of someone considering it solicitation !

Y'know, I bet most TA's would agree with me that the BEST gift a happy client can give them is a referral. And, when it's possible (based on the rules), a positive review on the internet, along with contact info. I did that for the TA who did my Bali trip, and she emailed me recently that she's gotten several new clients just from my review! Same thing happened with a private tour guide we used on a port stop in the Med who was just fantastic. As a writer, I consider that the best gift I can offer...and it keeps on giving. :)

I am appreciative of what you are telling and certainly understand your point that there are times a TA cannot give those OBC and the point that a TA is not only good for providing an OBC... I am a believer that SERVICE has a VALUE and that this should be factored into any purchase you make INCLUDING Travel Assistance ! Kudos to TA's (including mine) that do a great job out there.... mine sometimes can give a OBC now and then, but sometimes they get me such a low rate I KNOW IT IS NOT POSSIBLE......When is the last time you gave a gift to a TA for all the hard work they did even when it was an inexpensive cruise ? Let's put the shoe on the other foot and try it on for size !

I would think that that the best gift you can give any professional is the gift of REFERRALS!!! If a TA does a really good job for someone and they find his/her service valuable then they will refer her/him to friends, family and business acquaintances. Obviously if you have a TA who does a lot of work for you and provides extra service and/or extra perks than an occaisional gift or B-Day/Holiday gift would certainly be in order.

Editing because I just saw LeeAnne's post. Obviously great minds think alike, LOL!!!!! Good for you for doing that! I am a big believer in "what goes around comes around" and obviously you know that the best gifts are not necessarily the most expensive in cost but certainly can reap the most benefits!!!!!

I am leaving in a week on FOS and booked this cruise a year ago. When I was searching for a cruise I used a site (won't mention the name unless you want to know, not sure of the rules here) that searched for the best rates and best OBCs. I ended up with a GREAT rate for 2 grand suites plus $375 and $300 OBCs respectfully for each stateroom.

Although the rate was great and the OBC's are great, I probably won't use this TA again, the service has been "iffy", by that I mean: hard to reach them on the phone, hard to get information from them etc... but, if everything works out, I might change my mind. I am curious to see if they send anything to the staterooms as a "Thank You". Will let you know!

No more comments from me on this thread.... I made my position clear of the way I FEEL a thank you is best provided to those in the service industry and use both the referral and gift theory to make me feel good about myself and show appreciation !

Um...I think you've taken the posts following yours the wrong way. Trust me, no one was suggesting there is anything wrong with your choice in how you show appreciation. We were simply sharing ours. I happen to be a writer, and know that a well-written reference can bring lots of new business to any company. But writing is not everyone's strength. Your way of showing appreciation is certainly just as valid - and obviously appreciated, as evidenced by the responses from TA's in here. So try not to take things so personally - no one was attacking you.

No more comments from me on this thread.... I made my position clear of the way I FEEL a thank you is best provided to those in the service industry and use both the referral and gift theory to make me feel good about myself and show appreciation !

Hey, I hope you didn't take my post wrong. I was saying people should reward their TA for good service with referrals AND gifts. Seems like since you posted right after me you were offended or something. Never my intention, Never!

Most TAs dont offer anything extra. My last one did not even offer a $9 birthday cake for my son who was celebrating a birthday on board. If I was a TA if would be a small price to pay to keep a customer happy.

I went through many TAs until I found one that offers OBC for every cruise you transfer over to him. I am in PA he is in CT but I have nothing but praise for him for far.

I live in CT wish I could get his name :):D Resarch time starts soon!!! Trying to book my next for April/May

In my eyes there´s two different things discussed here.

I´m not looking for any gifts from my TA and I don´t expect any gifts either.

However I´m shopping around looking for a good deal.

I will book with the TA that gives me the best deal. And when I say that of course the price is a big part of the deal, but not the only one. Service offered, Terms and conditions like cancellation fees / price drop honors etc., ways of communication with TA .... all that is part of the deal for me.

Once I´ve found the best deal for me and booked I´m happy and not looking for more, or expecting any gifts. OBC or reduced cruise fare is part of the deal offered by the TA when asking for quotes. This is in my eyes by no means a gift by the TA.

So while I´m looking for a good deal, no I don´t expect any gifts, OBC etc. from my TA unless it´s part of the deal from the beginning.

Just to add, yes I´ve received gifts from a TA in the past and yes they´ve been appreciated but never expected.

Thanks for your response. What I was trying to reconcile was what is available from am TA, if anything for an obc. If a couple books an inside cabin for $800 and another couple books a suite for $3,000, there is clealy more profit for the agency for the suite couple therefore more available for an obc. Am I missing something?

Yes, the agent is making a bit more and as an agent I would offer an OBC even if its $25 or $50. One good thing about RCI is they offer a few gifts at TA rates. So a bottle of "house" red or white wine is $14.00! Which is a great by. RCI is the only line I know of that does this. It is great for an TA if they have a small sale they can still possibly send something! Or if my sale is a few hundred $ in comm. then I will send an OBC and a bottle of wine. It looks nicer!

Anyway thank you for your supportive posts. In a past post someone was debating why use a TA which is a good debate--why use them? So I gave my opinion I thought in a nice way and some people on this board where not very nice to me...infact the person who kept trying to argue with me..every time I posted something explaining how a TA works and how the back of house funcations (to give people a better understandig as to how TAs work)....this person just kept on saying how awful TAs are. It got personal because I said that I am becoming a teacher as well and then he or she mocked that...because of my spelling errors. Whatever I just left the thread. But it made me feel bad because I was just trying to clear up some misinformation. So since then I lay low :cool:

As I understand most of us here can plan and book our cruise without a TA, and as someone here posted the TA receives about 10% from the cruise line for booking or handling a reservation, why will the cruise line not give the 10% off a cruise for cruisers that are able to do their own reservation?? I for one would love if the Cruise Lines at least offer 5% off my cruise or maybe an automatic OBC depenting on the amount you pay for your cruise. They would still come out better then paying the fee to the TA. I am sorry up front if I am making any TA mad, but that is just a thought that I had many of times, since I take care of all thye leg work for my cruise or any vacation we take. I am my families TA.

As I understand most of us here can plan and book our cruise without a TA, and as someone here posted the TA receives about 10% from the cruise line for booking or handling a reservation, why will the cruise line not give the 10% off a cruise for cruisers that are able to do their own reservation?? I for one would love if the Cruise Lines at least offer 5% off my cruise or maybe an automatic OBC depenting on the amount you pay for your cruise. They would still come out better then paying the fee to the TA. I am sorry up front if I am making any TA mad, but that is just a thought that I had many of times, since I take care of all thye leg work for my cruise or any vacation we take. I am my families TA.

Actually direct bookings with the cruise line cost them money as well. Those people handling those bookings have to be paid and the cruise line has to do a lot of marketing and advertising to sell their cruises and the widespread TA´s are part of it.

I think Carnival even said to cut back on direct bookings and to promote more TA bookings. I´m sure they wouldn´t do that if it were more costly to them.

I think I am lucky in that my agent in UK gives me OBC and my US TA also gives me OBC when I book with her.

I prefer to use my agent in RCCL UK office for Med cruises and I have my Oasis booking with my US TA.

I watched for a long time how the US TA handled bookings/people online and I was delighted how she went over and above to help people,even if when she was away travelling herself, so that was why I chose her for my Oasis booking and some of my friends did also.:D

Best of both worlds I guess :D

I have had bad experiences in the past when using a US TA but this one I have now...well I am keeping her :D She rocks :D

In my eyes there´s two different things discussed here.

I´m not looking for any gifts from my TA and I don´t expect any gifts either.

However I´m shopping around looking for a good deal.

I will book with the TA that gives me the best deal. And when I say that of course the price is a big part of the deal, but not the only one. Service offered, Terms and conditions like cancellation fees / price drop honors etc., ways of communication with TA .... all that is part of the deal for me.

Once I´ve found the best deal for me and booked I´m happy and not looking for more, or expecting any gifts. OBC or reduced cruise fare is part of the deal offered by the TA when asking for quotes. This is in my eyes by no means a gift by the TA.

So while I´m looking for a good deal, no I don´t expect any gifts, OBC etc. from my TA unless it´s part of the deal from the beginning.

Just to add, yes I´ve received gifts from a TA in the past and yes they´ve been appreciated but never expected.

Outstanding explanation, that gets to the heart of this issue. Many times, people in here attempt to characterize OBC's as "gifts", as if they are something given out of the kindness of the TA's heart. And, as such, they suggest that it is somehow impolite or distasteful to ask for one.

As the above post makes clear, OBC's are nothing more than part of the deal. They are a means of reducing the price of the cruise - the only means available to TA's these days, what with RCI's rules that prohibit TA's from discounting directly off the price.

I did some research (following LeeAnn's tips) and found a great TA who will gladly accept the transfer of my booking, pay our fuel surcharges ($280) and give us $300 OBC. :D

Again, I did all the research and made the booking, so I will be low maintenance for the TA. It's a win/win!

Archived