Pride T/A Oct. 30--Funchal stop cancelled

kupkab

We just heard from our travel agent that the stop at Funchal has been cancelled--something about the ship going at a slower speed. So, there will be no ports on this cruise. They are apparently offering a $100 ship board credit. We just had a message from our TA, so don't have all the details.

Sorry I have been "over board" (or is that "off the board"?) lately - work and travel have kept me very busy.

My TA sent me the fax -- it states the reason for the skip is that "Seabourn Pride is temporarily operating at reduced speeds" -- translation -- saving gas or saving engines.

They are indeed offering $100 credit. You can either take the letter/fax to the purser on board or send it to Seabourn to use for a future cruise. I say the more sea days the better but I will sorely miss Funchal as it is a beautiful spot.

Other noteworthy info in this fax:

Exec. Chef: Walter Blackmore

Maitre d'Hotel: Daniel Putzhammer

Exec. Housekeeper: Sher Paton Ash

Personally, my belief is that just gives Seabourn crew another great reason (and day) to spoil us silly!

Marga

Funny how things turn out. I just was assigned my cabin today: 201 - the infamous "Anchor Suite" where Santa Ana Jane hilariously wrote in previous posts of feeling like the anchor was "stowed in her closet".:p

Seeing as how we will only be anchoring in Ft. Lauderdale, this should be an excellent suite for this cruise - and I will have instant access to the hot tub on Deck 5.

Will be interesting to see how rough the ride will be in a forward cabin but I have been through the Indian Ocean/Red Sea transition on the old Renaissance ships and thought that was really fun.

Let the fun begin!

Marga

Hi

I believe it is a problem with the Pride, when I did the North Cape the end of June there was a problem with one of the engines then and we had to miss out on a morning port of call because of this, so it looks like it still has not been fixed?

deb

You remember that! Good memory, it was in April 2006 I posted that on CC!

Hey, to be on Seabourn....they can stow their anchor in my closet any time! And you're right, it was a quick dash to the forward jacuzzi, my favorite hangout.

Jane :p

who hopes the pod problem doesn't include giant seed pods from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers...."

It is some kind of pod problem.

It would be great to have pods like QM2, but no not even Odyssey will have them :)

Lets say that if your car is broken you take it to the garage... If you have an old car you sometimes have to wait a while for spare parts to come in..

The Pride is an old ship... ;)

Lets say that if your car is broken you take it to the garage... If you have an old car you sometimes have to wait a while for spare parts to come in..

The Pride is an old ship... ;)

Rogier -Some of us prefer the term "classic" to "old" :p

I am sure if there were a major problem, Seabourn would be taking care of the problem in Lisbon before setting sail across the Atlantic. Although I am very curious, I am not concerned that there is any sort of major problem.

As I stated in an earlier post -- I think of the slower speeds as providing yet another sea day. I like sea days so much that I actually count the number of sea days when looking at a cruise!

I will try to post information once I get onboard and settle in (okay, this really means after a glass or two of champers!). I leave in 4 days so am excited to get to Lisbon and see this fabulous ship and meet her fabulous crew for myself.

Marga

Hi Marga!

201......... Well, there are better positions!

And don't worry: You won't anchor in Ft. Lauderdale but dock!

I hope Neptunus will be on your side all voyage!

I see a lot of !!!!!!!!!........ I hope not too many?

Have a wonderful crossing!

Marja

Love the !!!!!! -- the more the merrier, I say! Thanks for the good wishes -- I wish the same for your crossing on the Legend. We can both think good thoughts that Neptunus behaves himself for both crossings.

Marga,

I heard "through the grape vine" that the Pride has been rocking and rolling quite a bit! So maybe it is a good thing that you were not on board yet. Usually the southern crossings are rather smooth.

"Fingers and toers crossed!" (a "Norwegian" saying, that many of "us Seabournites" have heard and learned in the past).

Have a great cruise and enjoy all the good things to the fullest!

Marja

We just heard from our travel agent that the stop at Funchal has been cancelled--something about the ship going at a slower speed. So, there will be no ports on this cruise. They are apparently offering a $100 ship board credit. We just had a message from our TA, so don't have all the details.

Woefully inadequate compensation for a luxury line.

Given that they really don't have to offer any compensation, I was glad to see they were proactive; therefore, I don't have any problem with it.

After all, I picked this cruise for the transatlantic portion -- the days at sea - not necessarily about Maderia (although it is a beautiful port).

My only small gripe is they probably should have matched Virtuoso's compensation for the Reid's visit of $150.

I have been on Regent in the Amazon where we missed two of the 3 main stops on the Amazon. They gave us free drinks for a day after several other passengers raised a bit of a ruckas (this was prior to the open bar policy) and a voucher for a small amount off a future cruise (which I have never used). This, in my opinion, was a situation not handled terribly well for a luxury line.

Marga,

I heard "through the grape vine" that the Pride has been rocking and rolling quite a bit! So maybe it is a good thing that you were not on board yet. Usually the southern crossings are rather smooth.

"Fingers and toers crossed!" (a "Norwegian" saying, that many of "us Seabournites" have heard and learned in the past).

Have a great cruise and enjoy all the good things to the fullest!

Marja

Thank you! I have never had a problem on the several crossings I have been on (on Crystal and Silversea) but as I will be in Santa Ana Jane's famous forward Anchor Suite, I am keeping all fingers and toers crossed for another smooth one.;)

Archived