Pop (Soda) Cards, are they worth it?

OntarioTraveller

A few questions for you soda drinkers....

How much does soda cost on board if you just order one at a time? Do they add gratuity each time as well? How much is a soda card for a 4 day cruise?

I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to buy one or just buy a couple a day.

Any comments would be helpful!!!

Thanks!

How much does soda cost on board if you just order one at a time? Do they add gratuity each time as well? How much is a soda card for a 4 day cruise?

I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to buy one or just buy a couple a day.

Thanks!

If I remember correctly to purchase a soda is $1.95 per plus 15% grat

The soda card on the Miracle last May (8 days) was $6 per day plus 15% gratuity.. if you purchase it before sailaway you may be subject to that city's tax also..

For me it was worth it.. it was almost $60 for the week.. but I am constantly drinking diet coke!

I bought one on each of our 5 day cruises. I am planning on getting one for our Legend cruise in 9 days. But, I am going to wait until after sail away because of the tax charged when we were still docked. I will get me a diet coke at the coffee shop around the corner before we go in to start the security check in.

We bring soda with us. We bring 2 or 3 12 packs for the week. Between Lemonade, Ice Tea and Ice water during the day, this seems to be a good amount.

If we were to fly in, and not have a chance to go to a store before boarding, I think the soda card is well worth it.

Catrin

I seldom drink soft drinks, so it wasn't worth it for me. My Wife drinks a lot of soft drinks, and the card was a good deal for her. The only problem was that she is a Diet Dr. Pepper addict, and all they had was Mr. Pibb, which she drank, but would have preferred the Dr. Pepper. Soft drinks on our cruise were all Coke products. I assume it is still that way.

DH and I are addicted Diet Coke drinkers. The card was WONDERFUL! We went for several after returning from port, and a couple more with dinner. It's nice to have unlimited refills at dinner without worrying about ordering. With the card, our servers had our drinks out for us when we arrived, and made sure they were never empty. I also liked the fact that I could get nice juices with the card - all the typical bar mixers not available at the fountains. Knowing your personal preferences, you can decide if it will be worth it, but for us, definitely!

Thanks!

I don't remember how much the cards are, but I got one on my first cruise and they use Fountain Pop, which doesn't taste the same as the normal fountain pop...I also drank more alcohol than pop and in the end, I did not get my money's worth....I now just buy one if I need it. Carnival now charges $1.75 for a can of pop plus 15% gratuity....but Lemonade, Ice tea, coffee and Water is always free :)

DH and I both got soda cards on our last cruise - We will be headed out on another one in a few weeks - we will NOT be getting them again. We may get ONE but that's all. They pour WARM ROOM TEMP soda in a small glass with ice. Looses it's fizz pretty quick. Since we will be able to bring on a SMALL AMOUNT of soda, we may just bring a 12pk Diet Coke and get more in ports. I dunno. They tell you that the card is non-transferable, but I have not seen that particular rule enforced very often.

I agree with many posters. While I did think of getting it for our upcoming cruise, I have came to the conclusion that:

-It is fountain pop and not as good as canned or bottled pop

-It is some kind of expensive

-We will stop at a grocery store on our way to the port and pick-up a few 12pks to bring onboard. Carnival does allow this and we will just replenish as we need upon arrival at the ports.

OK, I hope I am not mentioned in the cheapskate post, but I have a question. I am bringing soda on board in plastic bottles. Would I look like a dork if I brought a couple bottles to dinner with me, and I am thinking that they would give me a glass of ice for it? I know people have brought their wine or champagne. I wouldn't just carry them in my hand like a hillbilly or anything. I would bring them in a small purse or something.:confused: :)

Although it's called a fountain card, the soda they give you is from a can. They crack a new can and pour you a glass over ice. They keep the can at the bar and the next person asking for the same flavor gets the rest of the first can and another one will be opened if whats left doesn't fill a glass. At least that's how it works at the bars. Can't say for the dining room...

DH and I are addicted Diet Coke drinkers. The card was WONDERFUL! We went for several after returning from port, and a couple more with dinner. It's nice to have unlimited refills at dinner without worrying about ordering. With the card, our servers had our drinks out for us when we arrived, and made sure they were never empty. I also liked the fact that I could get nice juices with the card - all the typical bar mixers not available at the fountains. Knowing your personal preferences, you can decide if it will be worth it, but for us, definitely!

So can you get virgin drinks like a strawberry daiquiri? Can you elaborate?

I bought one on each of our 5 day cruises. I am planning on getting one for our Legend cruise in 9 days. But, I am going to wait until after sail away because of the tax charged when we were still docked. I will get me a diet coke at the coffee shop around the corner before we go in to start the security check in.

Can you carry in your hand on board say a 20oz bottle of soda or will they confinscate it?

I tried to email Carnival about NON alcoholic beer being brought on board. I was told to call a 1 800 number. I still have to do that. I have three boys that could drink their weight in soda each HOUR ...lol......but Im certainly NOT going to buy THREE soda cards...what is the largest amount of soda anyone has brought onboard at one time and did you use carry on or regular luggage??

Just a few notes on soda:

1) I am addicted to Diet Pepsi and Diet Dr Pepper. I used to buy the soda card for me, but I really don't care for Coke products. Now I carry on one 12 pack each of the brands listed above. The combined 24 cans gets me through the 5 night cruise.

2) Yes, I carry the two 12 packs right on board with my carry-on. I have a soft sided bag that hold the two 12 packs and it doesn't even get a second look from the staff.

3) I do bring cans of soda to the Dining Room and the Asst Waiter will have a glass of ice ready for me.

4) My DS still gets a soda card on every cruise. He likes Coke and he gets his money's worth, so I have no problem buying the card for him.

5) On our last five cruises, the soda card gets you a glass (12 oz or so) with ice. The soda is poured from a can into the glass. The bartenders come to become familiar with the soda card patrons, so they usually start pouring when they see you walking up to the bar.

The fountain fun card is a good purchase in many cases. But, I like to bring my own and use the cups of ice from the Lido and the DR.

If you drink a lot of soda, then yes.

My husband is a die hard soda drinker and found that using his own cup at the Lido dispensers (lemonade, fruit punch, and water) was enough for him. I was so proud of him for going through the whole 7 days buying only 4 sodas! :D

Archived