Alcohol on RCCI from Southampton

My family and I are sailing Independence next June from Southampton.

I recently read that alcohol prices have gone up (eg a beer is now $8 which translates to about £4.60 for one beer!!). Can anyone confirm this?

Secondly, I was wondering whether I could smuggle a box of wine in my suitcase (minus the box, just the plastic container inside). I read that they are quite strict from Southampton and scan suitcases too thoroughly to get past. Would it be better to use a rum runner, they look quite similar.

Anyone managed to get any alcohol onto RCCI ship from southampton? This is an expensive holiday to begin with, and by the sounds of it alcohol prices are over the top, I dont want my bar bill to bankrupt me so any saving I can make will help :p

Ty in advance :)

We are off on the IOS on the 26th If beer is that price hubby is going to be VERY thirsty!!! I knoq hat american cruise lines are often more expensive than British ones but that's rediculous. Heaven knows how much my vodka and lemonade will cost.

Jane

Can't speak to that specific port - but there have been reports of success of bringing on the plastic container from a wine box. Wrap it in clothing to obscure it a bit. Other's have covered it (whole box) in foil or wrapping paper and put a bow on it as if it's a present.

I recently read that alcohol prices have gone up (eg a beer is now $8 which translates to about £4.60 for one beer!!). Can anyone confirm this?

Secondly, I was wondering whether I could smuggle a box of wine in my suitcase (minus the box, just the plastic container inside). I read that they are quite strict from Southampton and scan suitcases too thoroughly to get past. Would it be better to use a rum runner, they look quite similar.

Anyone managed to get any alcohol onto RCCI ship from southampton? This is an expensive holiday to begin with, and by the sounds of it alcohol prices are over the top, I dont want my bar bill to bankrupt me so any saving I can make will help :p

Take vodka in a rum runner and the lemonade is free :)

We are off on the IOS on the 26th If beer is that price hubby is going to be VERY thirsty!!! I knoq hat american cruise lines are often more expensive than British ones but that's rediculous. Heaven knows how much my vodka and lemonade will cost.

Jane

Frenchie, there are many reports of passengers successfully bringing boxed wine onboard. I don't think the port itself makes much difference - it's the same security staff on the ship, regardless of the port.

Just be sure to wrap it in some clothes or something, and pack it in the middle of your suitcase, away from anything that might puncture it.

Not only does the weak pound make beer expensive it also has an impact on the gratuities/ship account. Cunard charge $11 to $13 per person per day, its surprising how quickly it all adds up! Your £4.60 beer would now cost £5.33 by todays exchange rate.

We're going on QV next week but hopefully by next year our £ will be strong again.

I think you could put a wine box in your carry on luggage BUT would never risk packing wine in suitcase, it would cost more in dry cleaning if it leaked:eek:. They scan for security purposes not to catch you out.

Pj

RCCL scans for booze - or maybe I should say they scan for weapons/explosives and when they run across booze sometimes they make an issue of it, sometimes not. Some take the plastic bladder out of the box of wine, put in a big ziploc, and put in suitcase.

Not only does the weak pound make beer expensive it also has an impact on the gratuities/ship account. Cunard charge $11 to $13 per person per day, its surprising how quickly it all adds up! Your £4.60 beer would now cost £5.33 by todays exchange rate.

We're going on QV next week but hopefully by next year our £ will be strong again.

I think you could put a wine box in your carry on luggage BUT would never risk packing wine in suitcase, it would cost more in dry cleaning if it leaked:eek:. They scan for security purposes not to catch you out.

Pj

Jane

In May on the Navigator a small beer was $4.75 + 15% tip. Of course the $ was almost 2 to the £ at the time. Bit different now!!!

Archived