Sail 'n' Sign - Holds on my Account!!

figs

OK, CC smart kids, someone explain to me who's responsible for this. I just hopped off the Victory on Monday morning, with XXXX amount charging to my Sail 'n' Sign account.

I got home, checked my bank account, and lo and behold, I have "holds" on my account totaling XXXX amount. Kosher, no problem there. On Tuesday, Carnival charged me XXXX amount, which posted to my account. The problem? SOME of the holds dropped off, but others stayed around, so my bank account is MUCH lower than it really is. Carnival said yesterday that the holds would be off by midnight last night, but they're still here.

Carnival is "working on it", and blames my bank for keeping the holds around, and that they'll fax them something to make 'em release those funds (which is a decent amount, almost the same as my Sail 'n' Sign total!!!). My bank says it's Carnival that is causing the holds to stay there, and they can't do anything until Carnival says so.

Generally speaking, I understand holds. But I've NEVER had a company deduct the full amount AND leave the holds in place. I certainly didn't authorize Carnival to take almost twice what I owe them!! It doesn't matter if the money's not really "gone"---I can't use it. They've done the same to my roommate and her account is technically overdrafted until they put the money back---she can't even buy gas or food right now.

Who's responsible for this? I'm getting the run-around. :mad: If this is ultra-common, and I've just never run into it before, feel free to tell me I'm being silly. Hehe.

That is normal with more that just cruise companies. It will go away shortly. This is why it is good to have a credit card for this reason and not get you debit card tied up. You funds are on hold until Carnival gets their money.

I think you missed something---Carnival HAS their money. It posted from my account on Tuesday. It's now Friday, and their holds haven't come off. Carnival themselves said yesterday that they were "sorry" and they would be off our accounts by last night, but that didn't happen.

I think you missed something---Carnival HAS their money. It posted from my account on Tuesday. It's now Friday, and their holds haven't come off. Carnival themselves said yesterday that they were "sorry" and they would be off our accounts by last night, but that didn't happen.

I think what Papa was trying to say is the unfortunately, this is not usual.

Not just for Carnival but other cruiselines and other businesses as well.

We read about this complaint quite often...which does not make it right...just makes it a fact.

Hopefully it will be cleared up soon!

As for is it Carnival or the bank....can't say. I do know that Carnival is not the only company that has this problem....so "maybe" that leans it towards the bank...but no one can say for certain.

I am inclined to agree with Carnival on this. Most larger banks are in total chaos right now. As a consequence, a lot of routine actions are taking longer than they should. Now I would not be so crass as to suggest that, by delaying taking the holds off your account, the bank gains a couple of days of interest while you are denied the use of your money.:rolleyes:

Doc:mad:

In that case I would print out the info march to the bank and ask them what is going on. They fix it or you bank else where. But still consider a credit card next time you cruise. We use one just for travel and pay it when we return. We just leave most of our vacation funds in the bank and take enough cash for little things. I think LHP has hit it on the nail head.Good luck.;)

How it has worked for us in the past is that Carnival authorized each charge, then at the end they added up all the authorizations, and put through one large charge. They authorize each charge to make sure the funds are available. The holds fall off after Carnival has them removed, or after so many days, usually seven. This is how it worked when we used our debit card and our credit card.

That is normal with more that just cruise companies. It will go away shortly. This is why it is good to have a credit card for this reason and not get you debit card tied up. You funds are on hold until Carnival gets their money.

I agree. I'd never use a debit card for this.

Frankly, I use cash to set up my onboard account. For a 7-day, $300.00 cash is enough to pay gratuities and cover my expenses - and usually get a check on the last night for what remains in the account.

I've had to put more cash in a couple of times when I've done some onboard shopping but that's never been a problem either.

Well, darn this does not sound fun at all. I was planning to use one of my bank accounts for my S&S card.

The bonus is I live in a small town so my bank is so easy to work with. But, working with national companies like CCs and Carnival might be a different story. I am sure it will work out, even though it is a major pain right now.

Personal choice, I guess. I use my Visa/Debit bank card for nearly all my transactions, and I like it that way. I live in an urban area, and I'm uncomfortable carrying cash---it wouldn't even occur to me to do it. Maybe next time. Although, my last cruise with Carnival did not have this "hold" issue, so I wasn't expecting it.

And again, the issue "seems" to be with Carnival's side---they're the ones apologizing, they're the ones that have to DO something (fax a release) over to the bank. They told me they hold for 72 hours, then release the funds, and that didn't happen, "oops, we don't understand why not". The bank seems like the innocent party in this, but as appearances can be deceiving, I wanted to ask whether anyone knew who really held the power over this sort of thing. Especially as the second set of bank/Carnival reps today blamed each other, which yesterday's didn't. Blah. I hate being told two different things. :)

What happens is a cruise line, hotel, run on the machine a pre authorization as opposed to an actual charge, they are submitted an approval number. When they choose to actually submit that charge they are supposed to submit it against the approval number they already received. What happens is somebody goofs and doesn't submit against the pre approval they already obtained and runs a new charge. This is clearly an error on the business end but hard to get fixed. For instance my bank removes any pre autorization after 3 days if no charge is submitted against it.

What happens is a cruise line, hotel, run on the machine a pre authorization as opposed to an actual charge, they are submitted an approval number. When they choose to actually submit that charge they are supposed to submit it against the approval number they already received. What happens is somebody goofs and doesn't submit against the pre approval they already obtained and runs a new charge. This is clearly an error on the business end but hard to get fixed. For instance my bank removes any pre autorization after 3 days if no charge is submitted against it.

That's incredibly useful!! Thanks for explaining---I asked the CCL and bank reps and both of them blathered on about "holds and well, err, uhh" and neither could explain WHY my money was being held, when CCL had already gotten paid.

I hope CCL gets on the ball about this and puts the money back soon! I wonder how many more people from that cruise got screwed, if both people in MY room had their accounts messed up.

We've cruised with my cousin; she also doesn't believe in having a credit card. Rather than get her regular banking account tied up with holds and such, she keeps a debit/savings account just for vacations. During the year it sits open with $5 or so, and she'll add to it as she saves for her trip. Then she just loads it with her vacation money before the trip, and uses that one during the cruise.

That's incredibly useful!! Thanks for explaining---I asked the CCL and bank reps and both of them blathered on about "holds and well, err, uhh" and neither could explain WHY my money was being held, when CCL had already gotten paid.

I hope CCL gets on the ball about this and puts the money back soon! I wonder how many more people from that cruise got screwed, if both people in MY room had their accounts messed up.

It's not so much that Carnival has your money. The bank has it....just has it "set aside" because Carnival asked for the hold to make sure it would be there.

How long a bank takes to release a hold is individual. Typically they tell you it can take from 2-10 days. That is the nature of using a debit card...

So strange that so many of you have had trouble with this in the past. I've been using a debit card for years and years, and never had a hold stick around after the company's money had actually posted from my account. It may be the nature of a debit card, but I guess I've been lucky.

How it has worked for us in the past is that Carnival authorized each charge, then at the end they added up all the authorizations, and put through one large charge. They authorize each charge to make sure the funds are available. The holds fall off after Carnival has them removed, or after so many days, usually seven. This is how it worked when we used our debit card and our credit card.

Woohoo has nailed it. This is exactly how it worked for me on a recent NCL cruise. The total charge went through 2 days after the end of the cruise but the hold trickled off in increments over the next 7 days. It's best to use a credit card to avoid having your bank account held up.

This is not new always been like this. Lots of people run into this problem when they get home, just because they don't know what happens. Always have 2 cards. Also call your bank or credit card holder that you will be out of country and the dates so they don't stop your credit card because they see a charge from (tim buck too) on the card. They think somebody else is useing your card. The bank did that to us about 10 years ago so we always call before we go anywhere out of country now and give the dates.Live and learn.or cruise and travel and learn..Have a good bank and you don't have the problem.

This is not new always been like this. Lots of people run into this problem when they get home, just because they don't know what happens. Always have 2 cards. Also call your bank or credit card holder that you will be out of country and the dates so they don't stop your credit card because they see a charge from (tim buck too) on the card. They think somebody else is useing your card. The bank did that to us about 10 years ago so we always call before we go anywhere out of country now and give the dates.Live and learn.or cruise and travel and learn..Have a good bank and you don't have the problem.

This doesn't have anything to do with international travel, but yes, I know to call the bank before leaving the country, I've traveled extensively abroad. This was just a cruise-to-nowhere. And I do have two cards, I just chose to use this one for my SNS.

Again, I've used debit cards with three banks over the last decade+, and I've never had this happen before. And my bank is very good. Sigh. It may have "always been like this", but it's not "always like this"---if that distinction makes any sense?

Carnival says they're sorry, Carnival said THEY hold funds for "up to 72 hours", and that the holds SHOULD have dropped already (and they didn't), Carnival has to notify my bank to release those funds.....as mom2 said, it seems to me like this is on Carnival's end, not my bank's. If Carnival didn't release the authorization codes they should have, isn't that their fault? My bank told me their standard practice is to remove ALL holds after 5 days. I'm just trying to get it done THIS week, not next. That's what's making me confused.

My daughter and her husband just came back from their first cruise (Carnival). They paid their account in cash every night. Last day they paid the balance ($32) on her VISA/debit. Carnival swiped the entire account balance ($332) on her card and told them it could take 3-4 weeks to straighten out what happened to the cash payments. Essentially they've been double billed.

These young people can't afford to have their account highjacked...so the Mom & Dad have to help until things are straightened out.

Just be careful of paying cash and then giving them ANY access to a credit card. Keeping receipts is a good idea also.

Young couple is learning the hard way....

The exact same thing happens with credit cards also.

Those individuals with high credit limits just don't notice it. The "holds" happen in the background.

The exact same thing happened to me when I was a little younger and a little less wise. My "New" credit card had a $500 limit. Made a few charges, made a few reservations, reserved seats for a show,,,, went to pick up show tickets, whipped out new credit card,,,, DENIED,,,, to many "Holds" placed on card.

We've cruised with my cousin; she also doesn't believe in having a credit card. Rather than get her regular banking account tied up with holds and such, she keeps a debit/savings account just for vacations. During the year it sits open with $5 or so, and she'll add to it as she saves for her trip. Then she just loads it with her vacation money before the trip, and uses that one during the cruise.

That is exactly what I have done, is open a separate bank account, that I will put funds in specifically for use of my on board account. I will carry some cash, but not much. That way if they put an extra hold on those funds, it will not affect my regular bank account, which I will need when I get back for gas/food/bills etc. I don't want my regular checking account tied up with Carnival until the holds, if any, come off.

Archived