Ports or Days At Sea

pylant

.....I asked my son which cruise he wanted to take. He told me the one with more sea days. I said to him, "What's the difference if we have more sea days or we just stay on the ship while it's in port"? He said "They have a lot more to do on sea days than on port days on the ship". This was a 10 yo schooling a 48 yo about cruising.

I hate kids because they're so smart! :mad:

:rolleyes:

wasiii

Which do you prefer more of days at seas or different ports? 2 girls looking to get away without spending alot of money.

Days at sea are the best to relax and take in some sun, port days are busy and exhausting days.

Fred

Our family is split 50/50. DD and I love port days - seeing different islands, doing the excursions, etc. Other DD and DH love sea days - they just sit around relaxing, doing whatever activities they decide to do. They would sit in the hottub all day, if I let them. They like the luxury of "sleeping in" if they want - not getting up early to get off the ship. Truthfully, I am worried that I will go a bit stir crazy on our next cruise - 2 sea days, 3 ports in a row, then 2 sea days again. Since I am up at 5 a.m. on all days, it makes for a very long day at sea!

Sea Days, although we tend to spend more money on the Sea days (lots of drinks)

I agree with Fredd, the more we cruise the more we like to float along and relax. Fredd When are you on the Freedom? Looks like we are right after you guys :)

If you're trying to save money and the ports are the type you can do without spending a fortune, then port days. But if they are ports where excursions are a MUST they sea days win out to be thrifty.

Private islands are good because it's only drinks you spend your money on while relaxing on the beach. Nassau is no good for me because I love the shopping and can spend a fortune there. Grand Turk was good because we didn't venture into Margaritaville but just enjoyed the beach and went back on board for some lunch.

I cruise for the adventure. You unpack once and can visit several different cultures. We are beach people so we sleep in, grab a bite to eat and hop a cab to our beach of choice. I actually find days at sea too expensive with the DOD and buckets of beer.;)

I'm surprised sea days are winning by such a large margin. No wonder i have trouble finding crusies w/ a minimum number of sea days.

I still vote PORT days 'cause you can only lay around and drink on a ship for so long; after that I've got to get out and see the world.

For me, port days are what you make of them... I found after my last cruise that the way to go (for me) is to find an all inclusive beach break with a clean pretty beach, limited customers and drinks/food included and relax. Also, I like the fresh water showers and pools because as much as I enjoy the ocean I HATE sticky salt water if I can't rinse it right off! Also I don't like busy places covered in people -- I was excited about shopping in Mexico, but didn't find any great deals to write home about, in all I found it to be low quality souvenir dresses that fell apart when we washed them gently. I love port days, though... although sea days are nice, you're not on a tropical beach!

I vote for sea days...we love them!! Nowhere to go, no one to see...just plain relaxation...sleeping late and enjoying the sea on our balconey :)

YES! YES! YES!!! Those are my favorite!

I just told my PVP yesterday that they needed a 7 day CTN!! I would book in a second!:)

Port days for me! We just booked a 7 day cruise with 4 ports!! While I love sea days, I find I'm spending way too much on drinks and I like to see countries and cultures on a trip rather than a day of relaxing by the pool on a crowded deck. Just my own opinion. Everyone is different!

For pure relaxation a 4-5 day cruise with 1-2 ports. We choose 1 port to be active and take excursions. The other port we leisurely have breakfast, watch people getting off for their days and then slowly, calmly get off the ship. Walk around the port for a while and do some port shopping. Get back onboard and enjoy the pool while watching the port.

If I want to experience a busy vacation a 7 day cruise with 3+ ports - I have a blast and come home exhausted needing another vacation but it's always totally worth it!

Archived