Grand Turk Cruise Center Web Cam

fateknows

I've been watching for updates on Grand Turk and haven't seen many recent pictures. I've also been watching the Grand Turk Cruise Center Website for updates. Horrah. I The site has been updated and they've added a Web Cam.

http://www.grandturkcc.com/webcam.aspx

Has anyone been to the sting ray encounter since Ike? I'm booked for this excursion and would like to know if the sting rays are going to pay us a visit.

--faith

Thanks for posting - I hadn't found that website yet and it's good information.

Looking at pictures of the Cruise Ship Center on various posts I see people swimming in the ocean near the cruise ship - does anyone else have concerns about that besides me? Between exhaust, fuel and who knows what else, is there any kind of water quality testing there? That may sound a little paranoid, but having lived on the ocean most of my life, albeit on the Pacific side, I know that the clarity of the water has nothing to do with it's quality and tides don't always do the job. Anyone have any info on this?

YaYa Cruiser

Hmmmm - somehow that's not that encouraging. As I said before I live on the ocean - have done most of my life - and unless they are doing proper water quality testing on a regular basis there's no real way to know wether there are any issues or not. Would be interesting to know if there is any testing done of the ocean water off that particular beach.

YaYa

Hmmmm - somehow that's not that encouraging. As I said before I live on the ocean - have done most of my life - and unless they are doing proper water quality testing on a regular basis there's no real way to know wether there are any issues or not. Would be interesting to know if there is any testing done of the ocean water off that particular beach.

YaYa

Well here is one option...dont go swimming!!!! Jeesh! :rolleyes: Have you even been on a cruise?

Here is a educational video you can watch, pre cruise.

43146-large.jpg

YaYa

I have read many reviews and information posts concerning Grand Turk and have NEVER read or heard anything about trash, exhaust or water quality. I would say you are fine. I have also never heard or seen anyone ever bring this up as a concern. Hope this helps. Take care.

Looking at pictures of the Cruise Ship Center on various posts I see people swimming in the ocean near the cruise ship - does anyone else have concerns about that besides me? Between exhaust, fuel and who knows what else, is there any kind of water quality testing there? That may sound a little paranoid, but having lived on the ocean most of my life, albeit on the Pacific side, I know that the clarity of the water has nothing to do with it's quality and tides don't always do the job. Anyone have any info on this?

YaYa Cruiser

Hi YaYa...

I think it's an optical illusion. The pier is actually quite long, so you can't REALLY swim next to the ship. We were just there on 10/8 and the ship wasn't anywhere near close enough to the swimming area. At least, I sure didn't think so. We didn't swim, so I can't say that with 100% authority. So don't worry-I think you're going to be fine. :)

YaYa

As a longtime Florida resident and beachgoer, I understand where you're going with this. Stretches of Florida (and I presume other state's) beaches are ocassionally closed due to high levels of fecal coliform bacteria. That doesn't play well in the tourism ads. A very upscale section of beach just north of the Ft Lauderdale cruise terminal was closed last week due to this. (Some nice hotels along that stretch, so appearances are often deceiving) http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-flbbeach1016sboct16,0,1749018.story?track=rss

High levels of bacteria leads to Fort Lauderdale beach closures

October 16, 2008

A four-block stretch of beach was closed Wednesday in Fort Lauderdale after routine testing south of Las Olas Boulevard found high levels of bacteria in the water.

It was to remain closed today until results come in from the latest tests.

The Broward office of the Florida Department of Health said the water contained elevated concentrations of fecal coliform bacteria.

YaYa Cruiser

Hello,

Just came back from HAL Westerdam cruise on 10/26. We were in Grand Turks on Tuesday 10/21 and the island is open. There is damage noticeable everywhere from Hurricane Ike. Some of the beaches are closed as a friend of ours beach excursion was canceled. I had a ultimate snorkel excursion that went off just well. There were 2 sting rays in the area we were. I noticed that the Dune Buggy tour also happened. Margaritaville was also opened for business, but not the flow rider.The beaches right at the pier were also opened and the water quality looked pretty good. There were a few pieces of debris floating around. The people of the island were in great spirits and happy to see tourist back.

I hope this helps,

Derek

DSC00797.jpg.b534efbeefd42c0b19114a8523f9b47b.jpg

DSC00804.jpg.5a5837d98a585478e6dddc64171794d7.jpg

DSC00809.jpg.45071d7822a9ed775575c1b84ab881e0.jpg

DSC00812.jpg.ee963403ec1517d6ff9a58334d559753.jpg

DSC00813.jpg.04fbb14109b077a1c6cc2e727a4f1391.jpg

Here is a link to the Department of Environment and Coastal Concerns for Turk.

http://www.environment.tc/intro.htm

Before you get too excited, the water quality page is, 'underconstruction'. Legislation for the beaches seems to be limited to measuring the size of the beach and limiting the sale of the sand. LOL.

Perhaps there is a job in this for someone with a water testing kit? It actually sounds like a dream job for me. Cruise the islands, tour the beaches and take a water test. Then wake up the next day and do the same thing.

Thank-you for the pictures. I can hardly wait to be there.

It is 9:30 AM, there is a ship in port according to the port calendar and there are NO people visible on the webcam. I have never seen any people when I have viewed the webcam. What gives? Any Ideas?

I looked at it last week and saw people...pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Crazeecat5

My dh and I are thinking about going to the Cruise Center in August. I am handicapped and use a mobility scooter to get around. I can walk a little and do a few steps. Will I be able to get around the cabanas, pool, shopping and food areas? Not too interested in the beach, if I can't get there. Any info. would be great.

Thanks fellow cruisers,

Sheryl

Archived