Cruising with teenage daughters

We (myself, wife and daughters ages 14 and 15) are taking our first cruise this Christmas on the Monarch of the Seas.

We will be cruising with extended family members, including my brother's girlfriend, who is sharing an inside room with my daughters. The rest of us have ocean view rooms nearby.

My wife is concerned about my daughters being alone in the room until late at night while my brother and his girlfriend are out and about on the ship.

For those of you with teenagers do you feel safe with your kids on the ships?

Thanks!

Absolutely. Now I must confess that this was a few years ago. In 1988 we sailed on the QE 2. Our 4 darlings (16,15,12,11 at the time) were in a forward port cabin and we were in a mid ships starboard cabin (Don't ask...in-laws did the planning) Anyway we had no worries. Then in 92 we took Monarch with the darlings. We stuffed them in an inside cabin, we were in an outside cabin, relatively close, but not across the hall. In no case did we have any concerns about their safety.

Enjoy.

As long as they stay in the room they'll be fine - never worried about my kids in the cabin.

We (myself, wife and daughters ages 14 and 15) are taking our first cruise this Christmas on the Monarch of the Seas.

We will be cruising with extended family members, including my brother's girlfriend, who is sharing an inside room with my daughters. The rest of us have ocean view rooms nearby.

My wife is concerned about my daughters being alone in the room until late at night while my brother and his girlfriend are out and about on the ship.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Only you know your daughters and how obedient they are likely to be in new and exciting circumstances.

By the way, the three of them will be REALLY REALLY REALLY cozy in that cabin. I just had an inside by myself, and cannot begin to imagine three in there, although people stuff 3 and 4 people in there all the time. I just can't see it. :eek:

Only you know your daughters and how obedient they are likely to be in new and exciting circumstances.

By the way, the three of them will be REALLY REALLY REALLY cozy in that cabin. I just had an inside by myself, and cannot begin to imagine three in there, although people stuff 3 and 4 people in there all the time. I just can't see it. :eek:

Ed had 3 in an OV on deck 8 in August. We went in to tour it. I could barely move in there! Then we showed them our JS, and I think it depressed them, lol.:D

We have done 3 in an inside cabin. It's cozy but definitly possible. As far as the girls, only you know how they will obey your rules. We have cruised twice with teens. Once with 3 kids... 13, 15, 17. Once with 15, 17, 19 and 21. I never really had worries about their safety. We had set times they were to check in with us, etc. They were required to have dinner with us every night. They all had a great time without feeling like we were hovering over them all the time. Take advantage of the kid's club.. they will love it!

They'll be fine. Just give them a talk about behaving and keeping the noise down when they're in there at night. Girls will be girls...

If you're really worried, put them in the teen program that RCCL offers on its ships. It will give you piece of mind knowing that your kids are being watched after, and are having fun.

We are cruising in 2 weeks with, daughter 13, and friends, 2 girls 13 and boy 15. Parents will also be there. Brother and sister will be sharing an inside room, I am not worried about them. Last year, my daughter was so independent, she knew the ship better than my husband and I. I would get a kick when we were walking around and someone would say hello to her. I do have walkie talkies that I may make them carry only to know where they are at all times.

I would feel perfectly safe - much better than a land based hotel.

However, here are some thoughts I had:

1) MOST IMPORTANT - Probably the most important rule to emphasize to these girls is that under NO circumstances should they go to a strangers cabin or have strangers come to theirs - this is where kids get into the most trouble on the ships. Even if it's another teenager, it is not a good idea unless there is a TRUSTED grown up in the room.

2) You can rent 'dect' phones - I understand it's a kind of a cell phone for the ship. If you don't want to do that, you can probably use sticky notes for each other just to let you know where you'll be. If RCCL has voice mail on the cabin phones that would work well too.

I'm sure they'll be fine and you'll all have a great time.

We travelled with our son 17 and daughter 11 for our first cruise on the

Independence Of The Seas August this year.

They had their own room across the hall from us. We had an amazing time with no worries.

We rented a dect phone from the reception desk on board.

50$ for 2 weeks. The phone has an extention number on the back which our kids could ring any time and contact us from the phone in their cabin or from any phone around the ship. You can also leave messages on cabin phones. We opted to rent one phone for ourselves as there is a big cost if you lose/damage it. Also saves kids having to carry phone around with themselves when they are off having fun. We found the ship to be totally safe and after a couple of days we did not see much of our kids except for dinner.

We sailed with our 15yr old DD and her 15yr old friend last summer. They were in an inside cabin across the hall from our Jr. Suite. I was a bit nervous at first, but it turned out great.

Set the ground rules, curfew time, and check in periodically, then relax and have fun. I agree w/Neckchan regarding staying out of others cabins, and no visitors in theirs.

Our teenage kids have been cruising with us for years. We have never had a problem. Have them go to Adventure Ocean the first night to meet other kids their age and to see what the program is all about. Adventure Ocean has many activities that your daughters will want to participate in. Knowing that they are in a supervised program should help to your mind at ease.

We have cruised often with our 2 kids. The first time our son was 12. He would be gone all day - I still don't know where he was and what he was doing, but he had a blast! We have never worried, but always reminded the kids to be smart. Our number one rule is always go with a buddy, especially at night. Just like at home, set rules and check in times and places. They will enjoy the independence and everyone will have a great time!

Also, you can get a key card to their cabin so you can check in as you wish. Just talk to the Guest Services Desk after you board.

Archived