Snorkelling classes onboard?

Lolly Pop

Just curious - does Princess (Caribbean) offer snorkelling classes on board the ship (probably while at sea only)? I know some of the cruises we've been on in the past offered it - but I never bothered attending. I have a problem with breathing when I have attempted to snorkel in the past - I panic once my face is in the water.

For now - I'm going to experiment in our ;) bathtub - to submerse my head into the water - still have a month to get over my fear of "breathing" under water <lol>.

If only I had :D gills .....

Anna

Just curious - does Princess (Caribbean) offer snorkelling classes on board the ship (probably while at sea only)? I know some of the cruises we've been on in the past offered it - but I never bothered attending. I have a problem with breathing when I have attempted to snorkel in the past - I panic once my face is in the water.

For now - I'm going to experiment in our ;) bathtub - to submerse my head into the water - still have a month to get over my fear of "breathing" under water <lol>.

If only I had :D gills .....

Anna

Princess did away with their 'new waves' program some time ago. And it's been a few years since I have seen any type of water class (scuba or snorkeling) being offered onboard any Princess ship.

BUT, just a suggestion would be to try to book a 'beach snorkel' on your cruise that also gives instruction. It is an easy way to get yourself used to putting your face in the water and breathing from your snorkeling tube. They will have instructors there that will take their time with you and teach you the correct way to do this.

But also, if you tend to panic, there is a chance that even instruction might not help you, as some are just not able to snorkel due to the panic factor. Best of luck, I hope you get comfortable with it as it is a wonderful way to see what is under the water instead of just on top. ;)

On board snorkel classes are rare to extinct.

They were group sessions which would not likely help with your problem, anyway.

Your idea to try in the bath tub might help, but don't forget the mask and snorkel! :D

Better yet, try in the shallow end of a swimming pool. Be sure to have a "buddy" for moral support. Montreal might be a bit chilly right now so in an indoor pool, of course.

Your fear may be a phobia that can't be overcome without some form of counseling, but first try the swimming pool suggestion.

Yes - I do have a wee bit of a phobia with water. When I first started sailing - having to head up to the bow of the boat due to a snag with the jib or a line - well - let's say - I had to get over the feeling of plopping over into the water (and that's with a life vest).

Maybe in my former life I was a cat:confused: That's my reason for not liking to stick my head in the water. Who knows? <lol>

Will give the bathtub method a try- with my arse stuck up out of the air (our tub is your regular 4' something length). Unfortunately, today as I write this out - everyone is emptying their pools out of water (high of 11C today) - in prep for winter - brrrhhh. Leaves are a beautiful colour here tho' due to all the moisture we had over the summer.

Again, many thanks for the quick responses!

Anna

Anna,

I am a certified diver. I was certified on a Princess Cruise several years ago. I have kept in touch with and returned to dive with my former instructor. She was also giving the snorkel demonstration, NOT a formal lesson on the ship. There was some brief instruction, nothing formal, on how to put on the mask and breath through the snorkel. You were then given the opportunity to take a lap in the pool on your own to try it out. I guess what I am saying is there is no formal class or instruction. It is simply try it to see if you like it.

Perhaps you have a local dive shop in your area that has some pool time available and would help with some formal instruction.

Nope - no more snorkeling lessons. They did away with the New Waves program as of last August, 2008. It was all phased out. On our January 2008 and April 2008 CB cruises, they did offer this, but I am sure due to under utilization of the scuba instruction and cost, they phased out the New Waves scuba programs on all of the ships.

I do suggest that you buy your own snorkel and mask (about $30 in the USA). Be sure to get a snorkel that has an automatic valve to keep water out if the top of the snorkel becomes submerged.

Then you will be assured of proper fitting equipment which will enhance your experience.

Many YMCA centers that have pools run SCUBA cert. courses, and likely have someone who'd be more than happy to help you try snorkeling. Also public schools often have a family or community swim time, where you can use the pool for free or a few dollars. That would give you a chance to try the snorkel and mask in a controlled environment (Start at the shallow end where you can stand up if you have problems, then move to deeper water). I'd call ahead though and make sure they'll let you use a mask/snorkel, some places have rules against them. A third alternative would be to call the local dive shops, and ask if they offer, or know of, any snorkel lessons in the area. To warn you, the dive shop will probably try to sell you gear. The place near us offered a free lesson if we bought our gear through them (~$120 for 2 sets of mask, snorkel, fins and a lesson).

Best of luck!

Archived