Advice needed re Boudicca Caribbean Cruise

KeithLancashire

We are going on the Treasures of the Caribbean in December and have not used Fred Olsen before.

Many years ago we used Cunard ( Countess I think ) and were very pleased with the Caribbean itinerary and the whole experience.

A few years ago we went on the Voyager of the Seas with Royal Caribbean and were not happy with the experience.

Has anyone any tips or recommendations or observations to make about any aspect of our proposed cruise with Fred Olsen.

We are doing the same trip from 1st January 2009 Keith and are looking forward to it. I think we will be able to get ashore without transfers at most ports so there should be plenty of time to explore either on your own or with a trip. There are some great ports to call at - at least to my mind, someone I know told me that all the Carribean Ports are the same. Not for me, everyone is different.

I am looking at Fred Olsen's Boudicca as being smaller than most, especially the new monster ships which means more formal dining and children are not allowed so it is catering for those well out of their teens.

The research I have made indicates that things are well run. The drinks are British style and I am looking forward to the experience.

I hope you have a good time. Please let us know.

We agree - each island has something different to offer.

On the Cunard cruise ( A smallish ship from memory ) some 20 years ago we flew to Puerto Rico and visited St. Marten , Guadeloupe,Grenada,St Lucia, St Kitts and St Thomas/St. John - Our only regret was that because of work commitments we only did the 7 night cruise ( the ship was continuing on for a further 7 nights to many more different islands).

On several islands we "did our own thing " and the highlight must have been the day we joined in with the locals in the Independence day street party celebrations in the capital of St. Kitts.

Alas - Cunard no longer do that one.

8 years ago the Voyager of the Seas - The largest ship at that time - was too big and impersonal for us and put us off cruising for a while - but I will say that the cabin was superb.

From what we have read and researched The Boudicca seems to fit the bill and we too are looking forward to our trip and hope you enjoy yours.

• 3 weeks later...

We have just returned from Boudicca's Transatlantic BD071 and Caribbean Islands. It was fantastic. We have sailed on P&O and Royal Caribbean and find that F.Olsen ships are much friendlier because they are smaller. You actually see people again! Both passengers and staff are very friendly. The bar prices are reasonable - especially in comparison to the American ships. It is very easy to 'do your own thing' in the Caribbean as there are always lots of registered taxis at each port. Good to team up with others and share either taxi or minibus - much cheaper than the tours. You can read up on the ports and decide where you want to go and barter the price before you get in the taxi. The entertainment on board is very good......great Duo Obsession. The only 'gripe' is the expensive beauty salon. Altogether a great trip - I'm sure yours will be too.

Thanks All At Sea for the feedback on Boudicca which is reassuring.:)

I see that the BD071 itinerary took you to St. Johns Antigua, Castries St Lucia and Bridgetown Barbados which are ports on our itinerary

Have you any particular recommendations as to what to do “under your own steam “at any of those ports as, quite often, we prefer to do our own thing rather than the organised excursions.

We are a little out of date on cruise tipping – are there any guidelines which you know of for Fred Olsen cruises?

Thanks All at Sea.

To Keith:

When we went to Barbados, 18 months ago we joined another couple and toured the island courtesy of FATBELLY(he wanted to be called that) our taxi driver who gave us a great trip and dropped us off at a beach, from which we could see the cruise ship. All for about £10 each. We did have to pay entry of $5 each to the beach though.

When at Antigua, we walked up the main street and joined a bunch and once more had a good tour of Falmouth Harbour etc. When I mentioned, too late, that we had not stopped at Nelsons Dockyard our driver/guide told us he did not like his passengers to be ripped off. I would have liked to have made the choice though. We did see his grandmothers house etc and also had beach time.

If your trip stops at St Lucia look out for COSOL Tours, a good day seeing the sites, tasting local food and trying the rum punch. once again with a stop at a lovely beach within site of the Pitons.

http://www.cosol-tours.com/

The ship also calls at Tortola - easier than parking a taxi! We didn't do much but there were loads of covered pick up trucks,which appeared very organised.

We didn't stray from the port but I wanted follow up the pussers rum story, better than me rabbiting on look at: http://www.pussers.com/rum/experience

or search on pussers rum tortola.

I'll get there in January. The sailing out of the port was magical. I just feel sorry for the woman who told me that, "all the Caribbean islands are the same."

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Hawks 11,

Just returned from an enjoyable cruise on Boudicca.Got back 6.00 am today

Each island was very different.

If you have any specific questions please let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Regards,

Keith

Thanks for the offer Keith. Due to the $/£ situation and the limited time available we have decided to take the ship tours on Jamaica and Cuba (2), provided our booking slip arrives on time.

We enjoy swimming so will probably just make for some beaches at a lot of the stops. I have looked at Google earth, which Fred O has on it's site with the trip mapped out and all islands appear to have beaches nearby the terminal.

Any tips on a day out at Trinadad and Tobago, Domincan Republic and Bequia would be gratefully received.

Also could I ask what you did on St Lucia, my wife doesn't want to do the Cosul Tour again, but you never know.

Any problems with the tipping format?

Our good news is that Newquay airport has been passed for action so we will be flying from there which is only an hour drive away.

Regards

Bryan

Hi,

Just got your posting but have got the brother in law and family over to exchange presents etc and for a pre Christmas get together today but will get back to you.

Didn't know Fred O had Google Earth on his site.

Yes I can let you have info on what you have asked about.

What is your sailing date.

Glad to hear that Newquay is Ok - We are 40 mins from Manchester and the Fred O Thomson Charter Flights went like clockwork both ways

Best Wishes,

Keith

Hello Bryan,

I took a brief look at Fred O google Earth which looks pretty useful but I didn't spot it before we went.

I have typed up some information on some aspects of the cruise but it runs into approx 3 and a half sides of A4 and I don't know whether it is Forum etiquette to make such a big posting .

If you don't think I am allowed to copy it into a posting on this forum what is the best alternative way of getting it to you.

Regards,

Keith

Keith, I have looked up the guidelines and meant to past them here but havn't. They ask that correspondence is conducted on the boards for the info of all. I'm sure they will delete your post if there is a problem. Posting personal details are frowned on. I look forward to your cut and paste.

Merry Christmas

Bryan

From the guidelines:

Answer Postings on the Boards, Not in E-mail

Please try to answer message board posts on the boards instead of E-mail when appropriate. There is a lot of great information that we're all missing because it is passing through private E-mail. There are of course times when private E-mail is more appropriate but if you have information that would be helpful to many people, please try to come back to the boards and post it rather than replying to a posting through E-mail.

Hello Bryan,

Thanks for the guidelines info.

I have pasted in my notes below covering many aspects of the cruise which may be helpful to others as well.

I have had a glance at the preview and it all seems to be there

We are not frequent cruisers – “ Cunard 20 years ago and Voyager of the Seas 8 years ago but for what it’s worth below are our personal impressions but we have nothing recent to compare with and things will have changed.

Some of the information you may already know and of course you have Fred O Google Earth which at a brief glance looks pretty useful which unfortunately I didn’t spot before we went.

We too like swimming but on this occasion chose not to do much so we can’t be of great help on the beaches but the Fred O daily times usually indicates the local beaches and of course you have the Fred O Google Earth.

If you need anything else please ask

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Keith

Boudicca Treasures of the Caribbean Cruise 4/12 to 11/12/ 2008

Dining

We dined in the restaurant of our choice Tintagel Dining room on fixed sittings and the service from our Philipino waiter Ronaldo and his helpers (particularly Florentino) was superb.

In fact the staff as a whole throughout the ship were marvellous and the ship was very well run.

We chose the 8.30 pm sitting as 6.30 pm dining was too early for us.

We occasionally dined in the Four Seasons Dining Room on open sittings but there is virtually no difference apart from décor as they both serve the same food and the Rotunda where the buffet food is available is in the middle and accessible from both Dining rooms.

The Tintagel and Four Seasons are diametrically opposite each other.

Close by on the same side as Four Seasons is The Secret Garden which is smaller and serves a different menu but we never used it.

One evening towards the end of the cruise the Secret Garden had a Thai evening which was not well publicised and by the time we heard about it and decide to give it a try all the tables had been booked.

The Heligan Dining room is next to but smaller than the Tintagel but serves the same food as the Tintagel & Four Seasons but we never used it.

Food is also available at various locations like the Poolside bar and the Marquee bar etc at various times and there is a Supper Club at the Secret Garden between 11.00 and 12.00 pm but we never went.

Food

This is difficult to comment on because people’s tastes and expectations are different

The food was plentiful (too much for our appetites) and as a professional review on the net said was “of decent quality”. Some dishes were somewhat bland and unimaginative but overall the produce itself was of a very high standard.

We tried as far as possible to remain within a healthy eating regime but that is difficult in view of the vast array of food available but at Dinner at least there are guidelines on the menu for healthier options but we didn’t always stick to them.

I don’t know what your tastes are but there was something to satisfy all tastes but without wishing to be critical ,in our opinion, it was not as fine dining as the Cunard ships of 20 years ago but again times may have changed with all cruise lines and two different passengers on the Ventura to whom we spoke when our paths crossed in one of the ports complained to us about the food on the Ventura.

Shows

As we have found in the past that Cruise ship shows can be somewhat mediocre we did not go to any shows other than the staff show as our Cuban maid asked us to go as she was taking part. We saw some of the shows as they are relayed to the cabin on the TV.

The show the staff put on was very good for amateurs and had one very novel act - I will say no more so as not to spoil the surprise.

Sun Loungers

On days at sea we found that there was a shortage of sun loungers unless you went to your preferred venue early.

Tipping

The only guidelines are those in the A to Z of cruising which you can download from the Fred O site or ring them and they will post one – I got one posted.

The guideline says the going rate is £2 per person per day for your cabin stewardess and the same for your chief table waiter (Captain Waiter ) and they will in turn reward those who have helped them and that if anyone else has given you exceptional service you may wish to reward them. A leaflet to that effect is delivered to your cabin towards the end of the Cruise repeating the words of the A to Z and also emphasising that these are the recommendations within the trade as endorsed by Berlitz Travel Guides.

We did not discuss this with any of the passengers and gave tips to our Cabin Stewardess and Captain Waiter in accordance with the guidelines.

20 years ago Cunard included staff tips within the price but again times have changed.

Currency

We took some US dollars with us as they are the currency in some islands and acceptable in most but in some the change is given in local currency.

In Cuba you have to buy your pesos from a small exchange unit on the quayside – They accept Sterling for the purpose of changing your money into pesos,

Daily Times

A leaflet of the programme of activities and information for the following day is delivered to your cabin each evening.

News Bulletin

A Daily Bulletin of news at home etc is available by request from reception and is also displayed on one of the TV channels in your cabin

Internet connection

There is an internet room on Deck 7 with 6 computers – You swipe your Fred Olsen Payment card which is issued on arrival into the computer and enter your date of birth and it logs you on - A counter in the top right indicates the cost as you go so you know what your usage is costing – I used it only a handful of times to check my emails – If you do use it be sure to log off ( next to the cost counter) and make a note of the cost when the Fred O exit screen comes up as the internet charge will appear on your bill.

Library

I read in a review that the library was well stocked but would not agree with thatbut it did not matter as we took our own books

Trips/ sightseeing

We kept things simple and did our own thing rather than the Fred Olsen organised excursions as in the past we have done many sightseeing tours and on this occasion we were looking for a laid back holiday just pottering around at our leisure doing our own thing.

In your cabin Fred O provide a single sheet but double sided A4 port Guide for each port which consists of a basic map and basic information but in most ports there are tourist information offices with better maps and leaflets etc.

Port talks are given a couple of days or so in advance in the Neptune Lounge and are shown on your TV in your cabin to encourage you to sign up for tours but most of the talk repeats verbatim the Tour information in the Excursion Book which Fred O will have already supplied to you.

Barbados

We walked in along the wharf and saw Bridge Street (Shopping area) and did some sightseeing in the nearby Heroes Square and Parliament etc and had a drink at a restaurant/bar overlooking the marina and waterfront at the Careenage.

Scarborough Tobago

The town is directly in front of you as you leave the terminal but Scarborough is not a pretty town but the locals were very friendly and we took a very constitutional walk up the hill to the ruined Fort King George with very good views from the top looking back to the harbour and Boudicca - about half an hour walk but quite steep. There is a museum on top but it was closed and they are in the process of restoring some of the old buildings. The drivers are so considerate and stop to let you cross the road even when you are not on a crossing in direct contrast to Santiago de Cuba

Willemstad Curacao

Willemstad is lovely with pastel shaded houses and a floating bridge which floats open to let ships pass,

Boudicca docks on the side opposite to the main town - if you want to cross over to the main town or back to the ship when the bridge is open for ships you can take the free ferry. It is just a short walk to the bridge and into the town.

The ferry starts just near to where the ship docks. On the main town side it leaves from the waterfront just in front of the Iguana Café/bar.

When you cross the bridge if you turn left and walk past the Iguana café you will come to the “floating market” and further on the “round” locals market.

When you cross the Bridge the main Street is directly in front of you.

Port Antonio Jamaica

Port Antonio has a very nice harbour/marina where the ship docks and the views from the ship are lovely but outside the marina gates the town is very dilapidated and not very clean and we found that the people outside the Marina were not at all friendly and like many other passengers we retreated quickly into the tranquillity of the Marina.

It is good that you are taking a trip on Jamaica because we found that outside the marina area Port Elizabeth had nothing to offer.

The City of Santiago de Cuba

A bustling city somewhat clogged with traffic and exhaust fumes as you walk up from the port (mind how you go when you cross the road) but the experience of walking up the Aguilera (which is straight opposite the Port terminal as you exit) up to the Cathedral and the square in front of it and onwards to the Plaza De Dolores and the Plaza De Marte etc was very interesting.

Cuba is still a very poor country and there were long queues outside the shops because of rationing as they would only let a few people in at a time and there were few goods in the shops.

Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic was a pleasant surprise - it doesn't look particularly inspiring from where the ship docked but once inside the city walls you will find an old colonial Spanish Town which was spotlessly clean and very friendly people with a pedestrianised Shopping street called El Conde and numerous Churches/ a Cathedral/Historic Buildings and Parks/Squares.

Road Town Tortola

I think you are familiar with this small town with shops on the Waterfront Drive and Main Street areas and a Botanical garden and friendly people.

St John's Antigua

A very pretty island with reputedly 365 beaches –We took a 2 hour taxi tour to Falmouth Harbour and Nelson's Dockyard and then onwards through the rain forest and the coastal route back to St Johns .

Other cruise ships were docked and there were too many tourists for our liking round the Terminal area but nevertheless an enjoyable experience.

Castries St.Lucia

This was a great disappointment following our magical visit of 20 years ago

A bustling city with too many tourists again as 2 other cruise ships were docked (the Ventura and an American one Emerald princess I think with around 3000 passengers on each ship.)

Half hour walk into town or go in by taxi or better still take the water taxi for 3 US Dollars return from Pointe Seraphine just along a road to the left outside the terminal where the ship docks .

20 years ago we had a wonderful trip to the town of La Soufriere , the Volcano, the Botanic Gardens and the Pitons Mountains etc - If we hadn't already done that we would have done that this time as Castries was too busy for our liking - 20 years ago we didn’t go into Castries.

In the morning we did look around Castries – The Derek Walcott Square and visited the Cathedral which is opposite the square.

In the afternoon we went to a little marina just round from Pointe Seraphine – it is the same ferry as the one which takes you to Castries – it simply just goes off to the right to the marina but you have to ask them to take you – However there is little at the tiny Marina but for a couple of Restaurants/bars – The Coal Pot and Jacques and a hotel/Restaurant The Auberge Seraphine – we simply passed an enjoyable hour away at the Coal Pot having a local beer before catching the ferry back.

If you have already done your sightseeing in St.Lucia before then a beach is the best option but as we had hoped Castries would be OK we didn’t go to a beach so we haven’t got any recommendations.

We noticed on the map that Vigie Beach is just to the North and Rodney Bay is further north still but we didn’t visit either.

Port Elizabeth - Bequia - the Grenadines

A tiny village in a picturesque setting with no other cruise ships in sight - Took a water taxi to Princess Margaret Beach - 3 Dollars each way - Clear blue sea and long sandy beach. There can be a slight undercurrent which increases the further along the beach you go.

The tip here is to go on the tender as early as feasible and head straight for a water taxi on the quayside on arrival – these are simply dinghy’s with outboard motors on and as you walk out of the gate at the jetty where the tender docks there should be 2 or 3 water taxi men looking for business – it is only a 5 minute water taxi ride.

There is a bar/restaurant on the beach called Jacks just as you step onto the beach from the water taxi jetty – the local beer is 3 US Dollars but they give any change in local currency so we were fortunate not to need change as we had 6 US Dollars.

As the morning goes on a lot of passengers arrive from the Boudicca but even then the beach is not overcrowded but it is better in the early part of the morning as when we arrived there were only a handful of people.

We returned to the ship for lunch and returned to Port Elizabeth by tender in the afternoon.

There is not much to do in Port Elizabeth itself.

The ship’s tenders (There are 2) hold a large number of passengers and the order of the day is that when you are ready to go ashore for the first time you go along to the Neptune room and obtain a ticket and then sit and wait for your number to be called before making your way to the gangway on deck 3.

The tip is if you want to get off on an early tender get to the Neptune Lounge before the set off times for the trips of the day – The assembly times for the trips are shown in the Daily Times issued to your cabin the night before.

On both occasions we got mixed up in Tours leaving but the wait was not long anyway particularly at Bequia as there were fewer tours at Bequia than Tortola.

I f you go back in again on the tender you don’t need a ticket.

General

I read somewhere that the average age for this type of cruise is 67 and would think that is probably a good estimate.

On a minor note at previous Captain’s Cocktail parties on the Cunard canapés were served with the welcome drink but that also seems to have died out.

The ship takes 900 Passengers (of which 730 were British) which is not too big and impersonal like the Royal Caribbean Voyager of The Seas which we went on in the Caribbean 8 years ago which was too big and impersonal for us and was mainly American clientele but I do have to say that the cabin accommodation on The Voyager was superb.

Boudicca collision with the Quayside

The Captain’s version of events, which he announced at the cocktail party, was that he places the blame on “computer error” as he apparently instructed the computer to put the ship into reverse to pull away from the quayside in Barbados but the computer had a glitch and sent the ship forward into the Quay.

There is still an unsightly dent on the bow above the waterline but welding work etc was done at Barbados on the cruise before us to make it seaworthy and the ship had to leave a day late and as a result of which they had to miss out the first port of call Tobago to get the ship back on Schedule.

Full restorative work can only be done when the ship completes all of it’s present commitments.

Hello Bryan,

I have pasted in my notes below covering many aspects of the cruise which may be helpful to others as well.

We are not frequent cruisers – “ Two Cunard cruises abut 20 years ago and Voyager of the Seas 8 years ago but for what it’s worth below are our personal impressions but we have nothing recent to compare with and things will have changed.

Some of the information you may already know and of course you have Fred O Google Earth which at a brief glance looks pretty useful which unfortunately I didn’t spot before we went.

We too like swimming but on this occasion chose not to do much so we can’t be of great help on the beaches but the Fred O daily times usually indicates the local beaches and of course you have the Fred O Google Earth.

Keith

Dining

We dined in the restaurant of our choice Tintagel Dining room on fixed sittings and the service from our Philipino waiter Ronaldo and his helpers (particularly Florentino) was superb.

In fact the staff as a whole throughout the ship were marvellous and the ship was very well run.

We occasionally dined in the Four Seasons Dining Room on open sittings but there is virtually no difference apart from décor as they both serve the same food and the Rotunda where the buffet food is available is in the middle and accessible from both Dining rooms.

Close by on the same side as Four Seasons is The Secret Garden which is smaller and serves a different menu but we never used it.

One evening towards the end of the cruise the Secret Garden had a Thai evening which was not well publicised and by the time we heard about it and decide to give it a try all the tables had been booked.

The Heligan Dining room is next to but smaller than the Tintagel but serves the same food as the Tintagel & Four Seasons but we never used it.

Food is also available at various locations like the Poolside bar and the Marquee bar etc at various times and there is a Supper Club at the Secret Garden between 11.00 and 12.00 pm but we never went.

Food

This is difficult to comment on because people’s tastes and expectations are different

The food was plentiful (too much for our appetites) and as a professional review on the net said was “of decent quality”. Some dishes were somewhat bland and unimaginative but overall the produce itself was of a very high standard.

We tried as far as possible to remain within a healthy eating regime but that is difficult in view of the vast array of food available but at Dinner at least there are guidelines on the menu for healthier options but we didn’t always stick to them.

I don’t know what your tastes are but there was something to satisfy all tastes but without wishing to be critical ,in our opinion, it was not as fine dining as the Cunard ships of 20 years ago but again times may have changed with all cruise lines and two different passengers on the Ventura to whom we spoke when our paths crossed in one of the ports complained to us about the food on the Ventura.

Shows

As we have found in the past that Cruise ship shows can be somewhat mediocre we did not go to any shows other than the staff show as our Cuban maid asked us to go as she was taking part. We saw some of the shows as they are relayed to the cabin on the TV.

The show the staff put on was very good for amateurs and had one very novel act - I will say no more so as not to spoil the surprise.

Sun Loungers

On days at sea we found that there was a shortage of sun loungers unless you went to your preferred venue early.

Tipping

The only guidelines are those in the A to Z of cruising which you can download from the Fred O site or ring them and they will post one – I got one posted.

The guideline says the going rate is £2 per person per day for your cabin stewardess and the same for your chief table waiter (Captain Waiter ) and they will in turn reward those who have helped them and that if anyone else has given you exceptional service you may wish to reward them. A leaflet to that effect is delivered to your cabin towards the end of the Cruise repeating the words of the A to Z and also emphasising that these are the recommendations within the trade as endorsed by Berlitz Travel Guides.

We did not discuss this with any of the passengers and gave tips to our Cabin Stewardess and Captain Waiter in accordance with the guidelines.

20 years ago Cunard included staff tips within the price but again times have changed.

Currency

We took some US dollars with us as they are the currency in some islands and acceptable in most but in some the change is given in local currency.

In Cuba you have to buy your pesos from a small exchange unit on the quayside – They accept Sterling for the purpose of changing your money into pesos,

Daily Times

A leaflet of the programme of activities and information for the following day is delivered to your cabin each evening.

News Bulletin

A Daily Bulletin of news at home etc is available by request from reception and is also displayed on one of the TV channels in your cabin

Internet connection

There is an internet room on Deck 7 with 6 computers – You swipe your Fred Olsen Payment card which is issued on arrival into the computer and enter your date of birth and it logs you on - A counter in the top right indicates the cost as you go so you know what your usage is costing – I used it only a handful of times to check my emails – If you do use it be sure to log off ( next to the cost counter) and make a note of the cost when the Fred O exit screen comes up as the internet charge will appear on your bill.

Library

I read in a review that the library was well stocked but would not agree with thatbut it did not matter as we took our own books

Trips/ sightseeing

We kept things simple and did our own thing rather than the Fred Olsen organised excursions as in the past we have done many sightseeing tours and on this occasion we were looking for a laid back holiday just pottering around at our leisure doing our own thing.

In your cabin Fred O provide a single sheet but double sided A4 port Guide for each port which consists of a basic map and basic information but in most ports there are tourist information offices with better maps and leaflets etc.

Port talks are given a couple of days or so in advance in the Neptune Lounge and are shown on your TV in your cabin to encourage you to sign up for tours but most of the talk repeats verbatim the Tour information in the Excursion Book which Fred O will have already supplied to you.

Barbados

We walked in along the wharf and saw Bridge Street (Shopping area) and did some sightseeing in the nearby Heroes Square and Parliament etc and had a drink at a restaurant/bar overlooking the marina and waterfront at the Careenage.

Scarborough Tobago

The town is directly in front of you as you leave the terminal but Scarborough is not a pretty town but the locals were very friendly and we took a very constitutional walk up the hill to the ruined Fort King George with very good views from the top looking back to the harbour and Boudicca - about half an hour walk but quite steep. There is a museum on top but it was closed and they are in the process of restoring some of the old buildings. The drivers are so considerate and stop to let you cross the road even when you are not on a crossing in direct contrast to Santiago de Cuba

Willemstad Curacao

Willemstad is lovely with pastel shaded houses and a floating bridge which floats open to let ships pass,

Boudicca docks on the side opposite to the main town - if you want to cross over to the main town or back to the ship when the bridge is open for ships you can take the free ferry. It is just a short walk to the bridge and into the town.

The ferry starts just near to where the ship docks. On the main town side it leaves from the waterfront just in front of the Iguana Café/bar.

When you cross the bridge if you turn left and walk past the Iguana café you will come to the “floating market” and further on the “round” locals market.

Port Antonio Jamaica

Port Antonio has a very nice harbour/marina where the ship docks and the views from the ship are lovely but outside the marina gates the town is very dilapidated and not very clean and we found that the people outside the Marina were not at all friendly and like many other passengers we retreated quickly into the tranquillity of the Marina.

It is good that you are taking a trip on Jamaica because we found that outside the marina area Port Elizabeth had nothing to offer.

A bustling city somewhat clogged with traffic and exhaust fumes as you walk up from the port (mind how you go when you cross the road) but the experience of walking up the Aguilera (which is straight opposite the Port terminal as you exit) up to the Cathedral and the square in front of it and onwards to the Plaza De Dolores and the Plaza De Marte etc was very interesting.

Cuba is still a very poor country and there were long queues outside the shops because of rationing as they would only let a few people in at a time and there were few goods in the shops.

Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic was a pleasant surprise - it doesn't look particularly inspiring from where the ship docked but once inside the city walls you will find an old colonial Spanish Town which was spotlessly clean and very friendly people with a pedestrianised Shopping street called El Conde and numerous Churches/ a Cathedral/Historic Buildings and Parks/Squares.

Road Town Tortola

I think you are familiar with this small town with shops on the Waterfront Drive and Main Street areas and a Botanical garden and friendly people.

St John's Antigua

A very pretty island with reputedly 365 beaches –We took a 2 hour taxi tour to Falmouth Harbour and Nelson's Dockyard and then onwards through the rain forest and the coastal route back to St Johns .

Other cruise ships were docked and there were too many tourists for our liking round the Terminal area but nevertheless an enjoyable experience.

Castries St.Lucia

A bustling city with too many tourists again as 2 other cruise ships were docked (the Ventura and an American one Emerald princess I think with around 3000 passengers on each ship.)

Half hour walk into town or go in by taxi or better still take the water taxi for 3 US Dollars return from Pointe Seraphine just along a road to the left outside the terminal where the ship docks .

20 years ago we had a wonderful trip to the town of La Soufriere , the Volcano, the Botanic Gardens and the Pitons Mountains etc - If we hadn't already done that we would have done that this time as Castries was too busy for our liking - 20 years ago we didn’t go into Castries.

In the morning we did look around Castries – The Derek Walcott Square and visited the Cathedral which is opposite the square.

In the afternoon we went to a little marina just round from Pointe Seraphine – it is the same ferry as the one which takes you to Castries – it simply just goes off to the right to the marina but you have to ask them to take you – However there is little at the tiny Marina but for a couple of Restaurants/bars – The Coal Pot and Jacques and a hotel/Restaurant The Auberge Seraphine – we simply passed an enjoyable hour away at the Coal Pot having a local beer before catching the ferry back.

If you have already done your sightseeing in St.Lucia before then a beach is the best option but as we had hoped Castries would be OK we didn’t go to a beach so we haven’t got any recommendations.

We noticed on the map that Vigie Beach is just to the North and Rodney Bay is further north still but we didn’t visit either.

A tiny village in a picturesque setting with no other cruise ships in sight - Took a water taxi to Princess Margaret Beach - 3 Dollars each way - Clear blue sea and long sandy beach. There can be a slight undercurrent which increases the further along the beach you go.

The tip here is to go on the tender as early as feasible and head straight for a water taxi on the quayside on arrival – these are simply dinghy’s with outboard motors on and as you walk out of the gate at the jetty where the tender docks there should be 2 or 3 water taxi men looking for business – it is only a 5 minute water taxi ride.

There is a bar/restaurant on the beach called Jacks just as you step onto the beach from the water taxi jetty – the local beer is 3 US Dollars but they give any change in local currency so we were fortunate not to need change as we had 6 US Dollars.

As the morning goes on a lot of passengers arrive from the Boudicca but even then the beach is not overcrowded but it is better in the early part of the morning as when we arrived there were only a handful of people.

We returned to the ship for lunch and returned to Port Elizabeth by tender in the afternoon.

The ship’s tenders (There are 2) hold a large number of passengers and the order of the day is that when you are ready to go ashore for the first time you go along to the Neptune room and obtain a ticket and then sit and wait for your number to be called before making your way to the gangway on deck 3.

The tip is if you want to get off on an early tender get to the Neptune Lounge before the set off times for the trips of the day – The assembly times for the trips are shown in the Daily Times issued to your cabin the night before.

On both occasions we got mixed up in Tours leaving but the wait was not long anyway particularly at Bequia as there were fewer tours at Bequia than Tortola.

General

I read somewhere that the average age for this type of cruise is 67 and would think that is probably a good estimate.

On a minor note at previous Captain’s Cocktail parties on the Cunard canapés were served with the welcome drink but that also seems to have died out.

The ship takes 900 Passengers (of which 730 were British) which is not too big and impersonal like the Royal Caribbean Voyager of The Seas which we went on in the Caribbean 8 years ago which was too big and impersonal for us and was mainly American clientele but I do have to say that the cabin accommodation on The Voyager was superb.

The Captain’s version of events, which he announced at the cocktail party, was that he places the blame on “computer error” as he apparently instructed the computer to put the ship into reverse to pull away from the quayside in Barbados but the computer had a glitch and sent the ship forward into the Quay.

There is still an unsightly dent on the bow above the waterline but welding work etc was done at Barbados on the cruise before us to make it seaworthy and the ship had to leave a day late and as a result of which they had to miss out the first port of call Tobago to get the ship back on Schedule.

Full restorative work can only be done when the ship completes all of it’s present commitments.

Hello Bryan,

We are not frequent cruisers – “ Cunard 20 years ago and Voyager of the Seas 8 years ago but for what it’s worth below are our personal impressions but we have nothing recent to compare with and things will have changed.

Keith

Dining

Food

Shows

Sun Loungers

Tipping

Currency

Daily Times

News Bulletin

Internet connection

Library

Trips/ sightseeing

Barbados

Scarborough Tobago

Willemstad Curacao

Port Antonio Jamaica

Road Town Tortola

St John's Antigua

Castries St.Lucia

General

Thanks Keith, it was so good you did it twice!

There is plenty there to help us on our way. Internet access is usually a waste of time on a cruise so I think I might give that a miss. I noted the part about currency, something I should have been aware of, but I was thinking about US dollars not being acceptable in Cuba so wouldn't have any money and that I might no be able to obtain any. Why I took that line I have no idea, we cruised the South Cina Sea last year with various currencies and managed quite well doing our own thing.

At the age of 65 I might even be considered young?

Lots to absorbe, thanks again.

Hi Bryan,

Re Cuban Currency

I have kept all the Daily Times issued on board and maps etc re Cuba and I quote from it “The currency is CUC ( Cuban Convertible Currency )

£1 = 1.8 CUC

Only Cuban Currency is accepted – Foreign Exchange is available outside the terminal Building – The Exchange office accept US dollars Euros British Pounds and Swiss Francs .

Recommend changing Sterling or Euros into Cuban Currency because if you exchange Dollars there is a 10 % Tax added for changing US Dollars to CUC.It is forbidden by law to export CUC”

With regard to age I felt quite sprightly at 66 !

I have lots of useful ( and no doubt some useless information) in the Daily Times/Map leafets and in my memory box but much of ot you may already know so if you have any specific queries just ask.

Bon Voyage

Regards,

Keith

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Bryan,

Re Cuban Currency

I have kept all the Daily Times issued on board and maps etc re Cuba and I quote from it “The currency is CUC ( Cuban Convertible Currency )

£1 = 1.8 CUC

Only Cuban Currency is accepted – Foreign Exchange is available outside the terminal Building – The Exchange office accept US dollars Euros British Pounds and Swiss Francs .

Recommend changing Sterling or Euros into Cuban Currency because if you exchange Dollars there is a 10 % Tax added for changing US Dollars to CUC.It is forbidden by law to export CUC”

With regard to age I felt quite sprightly at 66 !

I have lots of useful ( and no doubt some useless information) in the Daily Times/Map leafets and in my memory box but much of ot you may already know so if you have any specific queries just ask.

Bon Voyage

Regards,

Keith

Hi Keith ,

Know what you mean about age , my husband and I are 46 traveling with F.O. always makes us feel "young " .

We are off on the Bodiccia for the first time in March, could you confirm if there are any tea/coffee facilities in the cabins .

Archived