FOS-how pushy are the ship photographers?

Tikibird

I really hate having a camera shoved in my face when I am just going about my business, waiting to disembark or God forbid at the swimming pool. We may get formal portraits done but I don't like having my picture taken by someone other than my family unless I am made up, dressed nicely and prepared for it.

The last cruise we were on (P&O) they were lying in wait as people entered the dining room, they went around to tables while people were eating, they ambushed you as you got off at a port with some silly background.

It has been some years since we have had a picture taken. Never have had a problem saying no to those who come to the table and walking past those at other points during the cruise.

Only one picture has to be taken. That is the one that is taken by the crew for identification purposes as you go off the ship and return.

Mocorobabe

I've never felt pressured to have my photo taken. The stands are set up when you board but it is easy to walk around, same when arriving at a port - there has always been plenty of room to walk around. I've not noticed them by the pool or acosting passengers other than dinner on formal night and one other night.

I like to get the photo with the captain and was really disappointed in May when they lost most of those photos.

I've never felt pressured to have my photo taken. The stands are set up when you board but it is easy to walk around, same when arriving at a port - there has always been plenty of room to walk around. I've not noticed them by the pool or acosting passengers other than dinner on formal night and one other night.

I have just returned from FotS and agree completely with your post. We had no problem at all when we didn't want a photo taken.

We were on the Oct. 5th FOS cruise, and the only times I can recall a photographer were at the usual initial embarkation, going ashore at ports, and once at dinner. It certainly was far less intrusive than on other cruises, when it seemed like the camera was in your face all the time.

I simply say "no thanks" and they move on. When leaving the ship in port, I just walk on by and do not stop.

Yep, same here. The only pictures I have taken are ones that I stand in line for on formal night.

I don't like the "welcome to port" pictures so I just walk on by.

The dining pictures, a simple no thank you should get them to move on.

That's good to know. I hate the tactics where they take as many shots as possible and PRINT them out so you feel guilty if you don't buy them. I also hate the thought of all that paper being wasted for nothing. I do like the posed formal portraits but the candids are nothing that we can't do ourselves with our own camera or ask a fellow passenger to take pics of us together.

Tikibird, I just got off Freedom yesterday. We did not find the photographers to be intrusive at all. In fact we had to ask them a few times to actually take some pictures. We were having a great time in the Promenade during the 70's night and asked them to take some pictures of our group. We never even saw the pirate in the dining room although we did see him wandering the ship after dinner. As far as getting off in port, as a previous poster mentioned just walk by and say no thanks. It was not a problem at all. There were, however, very long lines to take photos on formal night although there were at least five stations set up. You will love FOS, great service and food.

That's good to know. I hate the tactics where they take as many shots as possible and PRINT them out so you feel guilty if you don't buy them. I also hate the thought of all that paper being wasted for nothing. I do like the posed formal portraits but the candids are nothing that we can't do ourselves with our own camera or ask a fellow passenger to take pics of us together.

Why feel guilty? We never do. We went through the photos and realized that our formal shots were taken in the same clothes as our pic with the captain, so we discarded the captain shot, no worries.

We also like the multiple shots because sometimes one pose is better than another - there was one formal shot where it looked like I was hiding behind my wife (photographer's direction to do so.) We had a good laugh over that before also discarding it.

Tikibird, I just got off Freedom yesterday. We did not find the photographers to be intrusive at all. In fact we had to ask them a few times to actually take some pictures. We were having a great time in the Promenade during the 70's night and asked them to take some pictures of our group. We never even saw the pirate in the dining room although we did see him wandering the ship after dinner. As far as getting off in port, as a previous poster mentioned just walk by and say no thanks. It was not a problem at all. There were, however, very long lines to take photos on formal night although there were at least five stations set up. You will love FOS, great service and food.

Was just off Mariner on Sunday and had the same experience.. I purchased a package special they had because had found two pictures that I wanted so made since to get the package because we had a flat person with us..Flat Shelby..(aka Flat Stanley) so knew we would want more pictures this time..By Thursday was getting nervous still had one more picture to get for our package so had to hunt for a photographer to take a picture, then still couldn't find it in our state room folder on Saturday. The photo staff did a great job finding it for us ask for a picture out of our folder that we didn't want, when and where it was taken and the photographer who took it and they found it in a few hours. I really like the way they do the pictures now..

We aren't picture people and always say "no, thanks." In some cases, that's all it takes. That's all it SHOULD take. However, on occasion, the photographer says, "Come on, just a quick shot," or words to that effect. A subtle (and sometimes not too subtle) way of trying to make us feel guilty (doesn't work).

I know photos are a money maker. I know that ship photographers take some great photos and the prices are probably cheaper (though, not as cheap as they used to be) than a local photo studio. But if someone doesn't want a picture taken -- FOR WHATEVER REASON -- that should IMMEDIATELY be the end of it. It it is, no problem.

Cruising with family, we ended up having a lot of pics taken by the photographers at my Aunts insistence. We usually just say no thanks and that's been good enough, this past cruise we had to rush ahead of Auntie getting off in port so we wouldn't get stuck having more shots taken.

We especially dislike the ones at dinner, I call them dirty table shots. The phtographers don't seem to be able to understand no that night, or the stupid pirate shots. Embarkation pics are horrid for everyone, no one looks good then.

Dear Auntie was more incensed with me ditching the photos into the reject box before she could decide whether to buy them or not. I figure I saved her hundreds, since she feels guilty like Tikibird.

It would be lovely if they put them on digital, so none would be printed and the waste would be cut drastically. It could be done, say they imbed the seapass card with a number and you have them scan it before the pic is taken. In the mean time, we'll just continue to avoid the shots we know we won't purchase to save paper and chemicals;) .

The photographers on the ships I have been on have never been pushy. A simple and polite "No thank you" and they just turn their attention to the next person. Sometimes they are so busy they don't even notcie you. I have never encountered a rude photographer.

Annieeee

Cruising with family, we ended up having a lot of pics taken by the photographers at my Aunts insistence. We usually just say no thanks and that's been good enough, this past cruise we had to rush ahead of Auntie getting off in port so we wouldn't get stuck having more shots taken.

We especially dislike the ones at dinner, I call them dirty table shots. The phtographers don't seem to be able to understand no that night, or the stupid pirate shots. Embarkation pics are horrid for everyone, no one looks good then.

Dear Auntie was more incensed with me ditching the photos into the reject box before she could decide whether to buy them or not. I figure I saved her hundreds, since she feels guilty like Tikibird.

It would be lovely if they put them on digital, so none would be printed and the waste would be cut drastically. It could be done, say they imbed the seapass card with a number and you have them scan it before the pic is taken. In the mean time, we'll just continue to avoid the shots we know we won't purchase to save paper and chemicals;) .

Some ships do scan your card before they take the photo. Then you have to scan your card before you can review your photos. Maybe in time it will be fleetwide. Now this was done not for the onboard photos or the pics they take when you get off at the different ports, but it was done for the posed phots on formal night or the casual photos that they take of you at yor request. This was on the Freedom last year and on the Navigator.

Annieeee

Archived