Another tipping question

oooohDonna

Started to put this under cheapskate thread :rolleyes: but that thread is so long thought it might not get read?

M nephew is sharing a room with his 3 boys, ages 7-14.

My sister is paying for their cruise because they would never get to do something like this otherwise.

They are all extremely picky eaters and I know they will not eat in the dining room, at all! One of them could not even sit still that long. So, is it unreasonable to request the dining room tip not be charged to his S & S Card?

After all, that does comes to $245.00 for the 7 days for the 4 of them, just for the dining room tip.

Will Carnival do that, remove the dining room tipping?

I would of course encourage him to tip extra in cash to his room steward as I'm sure they will deserve extra :D

Is this a cheapskate question? :confused:

Thanks for your input.

D

If you read Carnival's FAQ about tipping, it breaks down how much goes where.

If they will eat NO meals in the dining room, then the thing to consider is that the workers in the buffet are doing more for them than they would if they some of their meals in each place.

What was suggested elsewhere was that you can go to the pursers desk and have the dining room tips moved to the buffet staff. That would be the "right" thing to do.

Of course, the general feeling is that any time anyone asks a question like this, what they're really hoping for is affirmation that it's OK to remove the dining top altogether.

They will still be using the services of people in the buffet. At least a portion of the dining tips should be reallocated, if not all.

It doesn't matter how old they are or how picky they are. In fact, children probably make even more of a mess for people to clean up, even if they don't actually consume some of the vast quantities that many of the adult buffet diners stuff into themselves.

After all, that does comes to $245.00 for the 7 days for the 4 of them, just for the dining room tip.

FYI ~ the total amount of the dining room tip for four people on a four day cruise would be $154.00.

$5.50 (dining room tip per day per person)

x 4 (people)

$38.50

x 7 (days)

$154.00

Hope this helps. :o)

Well Donna I am probably going to be slammed for this, but I don't feel that your request is unreasonable. I agree when you receive good service you should show your appreciation, and a tip would be called for. But I have a problem with all thoses that beleive we should hand over money to individuals that either do not provide us service or are mearly doing their job inwhich they earn a salary. For me the tip thing has gotten WAY out of hand. Anymore servers, at home or on vacation have the attitude the are entitled to it and don't need to provide you anything extra for it. I have may times tip large tips for service that is up and over but there are times when I don't tip when I don't get good service.

You may ask Carnival to remove the tips and then tip each server personally.

Your tips CAN be re-allocated; You should visit the Purser and have the Dining room Tips shifted to the Buffet Tip staff. Personally I'd leave the tips alone. I would NOT remove the tips, as someone in the ship's food services is STILL earning them. Ken

Well Donna I am probably going to be slammed for this, but I don't feel that your request is unreasonable. I agree when you receive good service you should show your appreciation, and a tip would be called for. But I have a problem with all thoses that beleive we should hand over money to individuals that either do not provide us service or are mearly doing their job inwhich they earn a salary. For me the tip thing has gotten WAY out of hand. Anymore servers, at home or on vacation have the attitude the are entitled to it and don't need to provide you anything extra for it. I have may times tip large tips for service that is up and over but there are times when I don't tip when I don't get good service.

Many people aboard the ship perform services to keep the ship shape, yet receive no tips. Think of it like a hospital. Certainly, the nurses earn thier pay. I would also wager that the custodial staff does as well, even though they don't bill your insurance carrier.

Obviously, I do not reward bad service. Moreso, I believe that if you receive it, you should tactfully address the issue then and there. Yet, it seems that many people expect to be waited on hand and foot and still try to find a reason to stiff a waitperson or staff memebr for doing a service. If you can't afford the tip, don't cruise. It's that simple. Those of us who cruise and try to get away from negative people will also appreciate it.

Started to put this under cheapskate thread :rolleyes: but that thread is so long thought it might not get read?

My sister is paying for their cruise because they would never get to do something like this otherwise.

They are all extremely picky eaters and I know they will not eat in the dining room, at all! One of them could not even sit still that long. So, is it unreasonable to request the dining room tip not be charged to his S & S Card?

I would of course encourage him to tip extra in cash to his room steward as I'm sure they will deserve extra :D

Thanks for your input.

D

It doesn't matter whether they eat in the dining room or not. They will be eating somewhere, several times a day. The gratuities for the wait staff is pooled and shared. The waiters onboard work all meal venues....the Lido buffet, dining rooms, deli, pizza, specialty restaurants.

In addition, the children will cause just as much work as the adults...across the board. They will be sleeping in the cabin, too. The tips are per person, including children. To stiff those people who serve you all week is simply being a deadbeat. Those good folks work their butts off all week ensuring a great cruise. There is no excuse for not tipping.

As soon as someone removes the tips from the onboard account, the room steward is brought in, notified, and asked if there were any problems with his service or any complaints from the passenger.

If he can afford to take his family on a cruise, he can afford to tip accordingly.

After all, he wouldn't remove the childrens meals from a restaurant bill before adding a tip....would he?

It doesn't matter whether they eat in the dining room or not. They will be eating somewhere' date=' several times a day. The gratuities for the wait staff is pooled and shared. The waiters onboard work all meal venues....the Lido buffet, dining rooms, deli, pizza, specialty restaurants.

In addition, the children will cause just as much work as the adults...across the board. They will be sleeping in the cabin, too. The tips are per person, including children. To stiff those people who serve you all week is simply being a deadbeat. Those good folks work their butts off all week ensuring a great cruise. There is no excuse for not tipping.

As soon as someone removes the tips from the onboard account, the room steward is brought in, notified, and asked if there were any problems with his service or any complaints from the passenger.

[u']If he can afford to take his family on a cruise, he can afford to tip accordingly.[/u]

After all, he wouldn't remove the childrens meals from a restaurant bill before adding a tip....would he?

No, he cant.. the OP states the sister is paying for it..

***My sister is paying for their cruise because they would never get to do something like this otherwise.***

OP You can do whatever you want.. you can remove them, reallocate them or tip in person.. Your prerogative.. I would imagine since your sister is paying for the trip for the four of them, tipping should not be a problem;)

Well I'm not slamming you necessarily but I did want to comment that these people do not receive much of a wage at all. They rely on tips to make up their salary. Just like in the good ol' USA, waiters/waitresses, hostesses, bus boys etc do not earn minimum wage just like the typical sales clerk etc. Their wages are usually at least half of minimum wage. My daughter makes less than $4/hr and relies on tips to make up her salary. Thanks to the tip-share, she earns about $9/hr after it is split among everyone in the restaurant. Not like they are raking in the dough here.

Well I'm not slamming you necessarily but I did want to comment that these people do not receive much of a wage at all. They rely on tips to make up their salary. Just like in the good ol' USA, waiters/waitresses, hostesses, bus boys etc do not earn minimum wage just like the typical sales clerk etc. Their wages are usually at least half of minimum wage. My daughter makes less than $4/hr and relies on tips to make up her salary. Thanks to the tip-share, she earns about $9/hr after it is split among everyone in the restaurant. Not like they are raking in the dough here.

The only thing that bothers me about the tip-sharing is that some will work harder and some will work less,,,,and the ones who do little will reap the benefits of the ones who work hard,,,

Personally, I'm a good tipper, and I plan on tipping any that work extra hard above and beyond what's on my S and S card,,,,frankly, the tips that carnival now bills is much less than what I normally pay,,,,so I might as well hand the difference directly to the ones who are extra helpful,,,Holly

FYI ~ the total amount of the dining room tip for four people on a four day cruise would be $154.00.

$5.50 (dining room tip per day per person)

x 4 (people)

$38.50

x 7 (days)

$154.00

Hope this helps. :o)

When is $5.50 x 4 =$38.50 ?????????????:confused:

Steve

a little off topic but where did you get that countdowm? i want it!

OK, I am confused. I thought the money you give to your waiter and to your assistant waiter is theirs to keep. Do they have to share it with the rest of the wait staff in the buffet areas too? This is our first Carnival Cruise and I have not yet read the fine print about the tips but on every other cruise it was broken down to 3 main catagories: Cabin Steward, Waiter and Assistant Waiter. It is different on Carnival? Thanks, Kaboochi

Thanks for your input.

D

There are some questions here. Where will they be eating? First cruise, how does anyone know they will not be eating in the dining room? Are you aware that the dining room waiters are known for keeping kids entertained and laughing? Do you know there is a kids menu in the dining room and that is all VERY familiar dishes to kids? Spags, Hot dogs, burgers, fries, mac & cheese, etc. Do you know that the same dining room waiters work the buffet during breakfast and lunch? And if they have empty tables for dinner, some of them will end up in the buffet for dinner duty to.

Or is this just a cheap, "I don't want to tip question, how do I get out of it without anybody knowing I did?"

Dan

There are some questions here. Where will they be eating? First cruise, how does anyone know they will not be eating in the dining room? Are you aware that the dining room waiters are known for keeping kids entertained and laughing? Do you know there is a kids menu in the dining room and that is all VERY familiar dishes to kids? Spags, Hot dogs, burgers, fries, mac & cheese, etc. Do you know that the same dining room waiters work the buffet during breakfast and lunch? And if they have empty tables for dinner, some of them will end up in the buffet for dinner duty to.

Or is this just a cheap, "I don't want to tip question, how do I get out of it without anybody knowing I did?"

Dan

And your helpful input to OP is???????????????????? Kaboochi

Its $5.50 per day (4 days) per person x 4 people..and it still didnt add up, right?.. I get $88 but I have a headache LOL

The $154 is correct. OP says it's a 7 day cruise - somebody else said a 4 day cruise. So 5.5*7 days*4 people = $154. If it were a 4 day cruise, you're right: 5.5*4 days*4 people = $88.

Thanks for your input.

D

A tip is exactly that a tip.Until its a service charge,do what you want. Go to the pursers and remove them all and let them tip in cash at the end of the week as they see fit.

If they are not eating in the dining room you have a valid point,but notify the Maitre'd when boarding so they can give those seats to someone else.

Many are going to tell you that they also work the buffet,but if they are working the dining room at dinner,they cannot be in two places at the same time,but in order to take care of those that do work the buffet,just leave the $1 per day charge on.

Steve:D

When is $5.50 x 4 =$38.50 ?????????????:confused:

Steve

Forgive me for switching the numbers in my typing ~ the final amount is correct at $154.00.

I truly hope you feel better having made your comment. :rolleyes:

Calling all math gurus... The total dining room tip is $154.00, no matter how it was calculated. Do it either way and you still come up w/$154.00 for the four passengers for seven days. Geez.

Because someone stated after the OP 4 days..

"Geez... "

Archived