So what ARE you supposed to do when sick on ship?

BonnieVA

Hand sanitizers have no effect on Norovirus. None. This common stomach flu will last from 24-48 hours and is highly contagious. Best defense is soap and water' date=' frequent hand washing and keeping hands away from face and mouth.

While it seems that many get sick, be aware that a majority of cruisers never get ill. I've been cruising for over 30 years and well over 200 cruises all over the world and have never experienced any kind of illness onboard any ship.[/quote']

Three times in my life I have had a severe stomach bug which included the vomiting and diaharrea. I was not on a cruiseship any of those times.

I am well aware that RCCL reads the boards. The couple was an extreme case - and it wasn't just because they posted complaints, it was because they were giving very detailed accounts of what kind of compensation they were given - over and over - and RCCL realized they were being scammed.

However, the folks that do this 'they're going to track you down from cruise critic' - it's a bit over the top. I'm sure if someone made a threat against the line or something - but to track down every poster on the internet who says they might not go to the infirmary? Sorry - I don't believe they have either the desire - nor the manpower - to do so.

The cruiselines do monitor these boards and if these people are for real, they need to know what they post is being read. They can end up like the RCI couple who cronicially posted their complaints here.

I am well aware that RCCL reads the boards. The couple was an extreme case - and it wasn't just because they posted complaints, it was because they were giving very detailed accounts of what kind of compensation they were given - over and over - and RCCL realized they were being scammed.

However, the folks that do this 'they're going to track you down from cruise critic' - it's a bit over the top. I'm sure if someone made a threat against the line or something - but to track down every poster on the internet who says they might not go to the infirmary? Sorry - I don't believe they have either the desire - nor the manpower - to do so.

Allie, I did not mean you. karen Sharpe and I were discussing someone else.

If you read that person's posts you will find one outlandish post after another.

Do a little research. You will also find a thread about a woman who metioned that she was taking her mother with Alzheimer's on a cruise. She said she mentione dthe cursie date, and because her profile shows the town she is from, HAL tracke dher down nad asked her to cancel the cruise.

So, if a person is "for real" and posts here that she got 254 sodas for her family in a week on one soda card, that she chips golf balls off side of the ship, out into the oceanr, that she hides in the bathroom to miss the muster drill, YES I think she could be tracked down and banned from the cruiseline.

Even if they can't discover who she is fromehr posts here-the ships have cameras, that is how they learned that poor 21 year old guy that was on the Mariner of the Seas a few years back had fell off the ship. A camera picked him up leaning over the rail to far to vomit and falling off.

I agree - been on the net long enough to know that nothing online is ever private or ever really gone ;) Just saying that you have to be pretty extreme for RCCL to bother tracking you down. Not sure why you put the thing about cameras, I thought everyone knew there were cameras.

Allie, I did not mean you. karen Sharpe and I were discussing someone else.

If you read that person's posts you will find one outlandish post after another.

Do a little research. You will also find a thread about a woman who metioned that she was taking her mother with Alzheimer's on a cruise. She said she mentione dthe cursie date, and because her profile shows the town she is from, HAL tracke dher down nad asked her to cancel the cruise.

So, if a person is "for real" and posts here that she got 254 sodas for her family in a week on one soda card, that she chips golf balls off side of the ship, out into the oceanr, that she hides in the bathroom to miss the muster drill, YES I think she could be tracked down and banned from the cruiseline.

Even if they can't discover who she is fromehr posts here-the ships have cameras, that is how they learned that poor 21 year old guy that was on the Mariner of the Seas a few years back had fell off the ship. A camera picked him up leaning over the rail to far to vomit and falling off.

I have a feeling that it would be pretty difficult to track MadameCruiseQueen down as I'd take bets that she's a work of complete fiction.

Either that or my antennae is faulty today.

Well considering how many times her signature has changed with the ships she's supposedly been on...

I agree - been on the net long enough to know that nothing online is ever private or ever really gone ;) Just saying that you have to be pretty extreme for RCCL to bother tracking you down. Not sure why you put the thing about cameras, I thought everyone knew there were cameras.

You still think I am talking about you-WHY?

Let's se if I can explain my post to you-

A camera would pick up someone chipping golf balls off the ship and barfing at the railing. It DID pick up the poor guy barfing at the railing on the MOS, barfing at the railing and falling OFF the ship-so MY POINT was a person "pretending" they did not have noro virus and barfing at the railing would be seen.

As far as chipping the golf balls off ship, since I believe the cruiseline could be fined for PAX on their ship doing that- I am sure if their camera picked that up- the person would be put off at the next port and permanently banned from the cruiseline.

As far as if RCI is looking at your posts and considering banning YOU, only you would know if you posted something to make them want to do that. I am not interested enough to read your profile and posts to see why you are worried.

Three times in my life I have had a severe stomach bug which included the vomiting and diaharrea. I was not on a cruiseship any of those times.

Lucky you! I get a horrendous stomach bug almost every winter. I'm great at washing my hands but my 4 germ factories - I mean kids - bring it home every year. That's what made me wonder, initially, about what to do if you got sick onboard ... I feel so terrible w/ the annual stomach bug that I can't imagine getting from my cabin to the clinic on a ship while feeling so bad.

But, remember everyone, tho original post was NOT about sneaking around when you're sick ... just what to do IF it happens. And, truly, how COULD you sneak around anyway?!?!?! Blah! Makes me sick just thinking about it.

And, truly, how COULD you sneak around anyway?!?!?!

You'd be very surprised at what some people can do.:eek:

Oh and when I came down with norovirus last year I was at work - and managed to make the 20 minute drive home - of course I didn't leave the house again for another 2 days but...

You'd be very surprised at what some people can do.:eek:

Oh and when I came down with norovirus last year I was at work - and managed to make the 20 minute drive home - of course I didn't leave the house again for another 2 days but...

Yep, you may have managed, but was your underwear still clean? LOL! Mine wasn't. I was terribly embarrassed at the time for even my hubby and daughter to know that. THANK GOODNESS that has never happened to me on a cruise ship.

Lucky you! I get a horrendous stomach bug almost every winter. I'm great at washing my hands but my 4 germ factories - I mean kids - bring it home every year. That's what made me wonder, initially, about what to do if you got sick onboard ... I feel so terrible w/ the annual stomach bug that I can't imagine getting from my cabin to the clinic on a ship while feeling so bad.

But, remember everyone, tho original post was NOT about sneaking around when you're sick ... just what to do IF it happens. And, truly, how COULD you sneak around anyway?!?!?! Blah! Makes me sick just thinking about it.

Oh I have had stomach bugs more than that. The vomiting only kind. (and like you I seemed to get that from my daughter when she was small) I have also had the diahrrea only kind a few times. But only 3 times in my life have I had the glued to the throne while vomiting in the garbage can virus. That is the noro virus.

Oh I have had stomach bugs more than that. The vomiting only kind. (and like you I seemed to get that from my daughter when she was small) I have also had the diahrrea only kind a few times. But only 3 times in my life have I had the glued to the throne while vomiting in the garbage can virus. That is the noro virus.

One thing I am going to add, whenever I had the severe vomiting and diahrrea bug-it always started out with a BLINDING headache and severe nausea, think migraine and magnify that about 5 times.

Now I know when I feel that way, that I have about an hour before the vomiting and diahrrea starts.

One thing I am going to add, whenever I had the severe vomiting and diahrrea bug-it always started out with a BLINDING headache and severe nausea, think migraine and magnify that about 5 times.

Now I know when I feel that way, that I have about an hour before the vomiting and diahrrea starts.

Yep, it started with the blinding migraine. Luckily the bottom stuff did not start until I got home, the top stop was bad enough.

Okay, I figured maybe that was why she took offense at my post. I still do not understand why I upset her.

Ach ...don't worry about it! The written word can be interpreted in so many ways by different posters. It's all about their own personal perspective. I got your drift!:p

Ach ...don't worry about it! The written word can be interpreted in so many ways by different posters. It's all about their own personal perspective. I got your drift!:p

The poor child cannot "give it up". She now thinks I believe the cruiselines "hunt people down"-LOL! Did I post that? I know I am getting old- but I do not think I said that.

Archived