John Wayne Airport to San Diego

djvand

I am taking a HAL ship out of San Diego in February. I can get a very good deal flying from the East coast to John Wayne (saving of $300 per person). My question is, what is the best way to get to San Diego for my cruise if I do not want to rent a car? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You could take a taxi to either the Santa Ana or Irvine Amtrak station and catch the train down. The Amtrak Station in San Diego is very close to the cruise ship terminal. We live in Irvine and have taken the train down and then just walked to the cruise ship terminal with our luggage. You can see the cruise ship terminal from the train station.

But you might find it much easier to just rent a car. Because the taxi fare is probably going to be around $40. It looks like the Amtrak fare is around $18 per person and the trip is around 2 hours.

Hope this helps

I am taking a HAL ship out of San Diego in February. I can get a very good deal flying from the East coast to John Wayne (saving of $300 per person). My question is, what is the best way to get to San Diego for my cruise if I do not want to rent a car? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for the response. Looks like Amtrak only has an evening train on the Thursday we arrive so that will not work out. I will just have to check into renting a car or see if I can arrange some sort of private transportation to San Diego.

What time does your flight get in? You can choose from all of these Amtrak departure times from Irvine to San Diego. If needed, you could stay in an airport hotel near John Wayne and go to San Diego the next AM rather than stay in a hotel in San Diego:

7:04AM, arrive San Diego 8:55AM

8:22AM, arrive San Diego 10:10AM

9:31AM, arrive San Diego 11:20AM

10:41AM, arrive San Diego 12:25PM

12:11PM, arrive San Diego 1:55PM

1:24PM, arrive San Diego 3:10PM

3:01PM, arrive San Diego 4:50PM

5:09PM, arrive San Diego 7:00PM

6:11PM, arrive San Diego 7:50PM

9:31PM, arrive San Diego 11:15PM

I don't know of any shuttles that will take you this route. Private limos would be very expensive. Otherwise, rent a car.

We get in around Noon. I must of done something wrong when I used the Amtrak webiste, because none of those trains came up! Thank you for checking for me. I will go back to the site and figure out what I did wrong. The train seems like it would be fun to use since I have never been on one!

I hope the train will work for you. It is a very relaxing way to get down to

San Diego. We have done it a couple of times and will do it again the next time we sail out of San Diego.

We get in around Noon. I must of done something wrong when I used the Amtrak webiste, because none of those trains came up! Thank you for checking for me. I will go back to the site and figure out what I did wrong. The train seems like it would be fun to use since I have never been on one!

We also get on Amtrak in Irvine. I know the OP isn't renting a car, but for locals, parking is free. The lot gets pretty full mid-day because day commuters park there too. Be sure to give the station master your vehicle info so they waive the 48 hour parking limit.

Once we are on the train the party begins!!

If the OP decides to rent a car, there are HOV lanes from the airport to San Clemente where traffic usually eases up. The HOV lanes resume on the north side of San Diego for the trip downtown. You can also take Hwy 1 from Newport Beach to San Juan Capistrano, a lot more scenic than the superslab.

SNA is user-friendly...from gate to curbside shouldn't be more than 30 minutes including baggage claim. The major rental car companies have counters in the terminal and the cars are in the parking garage across the street.

We get in around Noon. I must of done something wrong when I used the Amtrak webiste, because none of those trains came up! ... The train seems like it would be fun to use since I have never been on one!

It will likely be cheaper to rent a car one way and drop it off in San Diego. The train is designed more for commuters than people travelling with luggage. Also, the train is frequently late and as you see from above doesn't leave very frequently. With a car you can also make a stop or two on the way down the coast for lunch or to walk on the beach.

I think Amtrak is the best way. Traffic from John Wayne Airport to San Diego is always bad, even with the HOV lanes. Yes the train can be late, but usually no more than 10-15 minutes. We live 5 minutes from John Wayne Airport and will be taking the train in just a couple of weeks. We are leaving on a cruise from San Diego on November 7th.

You can take either a cab or a shuttle such as Supershuttle from the airport to the train station. Supershuttle will run you $18/person, while a cab will be about $40.

You check your luggage on the train (through to San Diego) although there is room on the train in the cabin for one small carry on per person.

FYI, you cannot check luggage at the Irvine train station, they do not have facilities.

However, we have taken the train from Irvine to San Diego and had no trouble taking the luggage on with us. Right when you get on the train there is an alcove and that is where we stored our luggage. When we did this, we had two larger suitcases and one small for the two of us. This did not seem to be an issue with the Amtrak personnel.

You can take either a cab or a shuttle such as Supershuttle from the airport to the train station. Supershuttle will run you $18/person, while a cab will be about $40.

You check your luggage on the train (through to San Diego) although there is room on the train in the cabin for one small carry on per person.

FYI, it should take 20-30 minutes from the jetway to curbside, including baggage claim. SNA is small and "human scale" (quoting a visiting relative).

The Amtrak station is 8 miles and 15 minutes from SNA (no traffic) ; 30 minutes max at rush hour (4-630pm). The trains to San Diego are on the closer track. When you return from San Diego you will have to use the pedestrian bridge over the tracks but there are elevators on both ends if you have mobility issues or a lot of luggage. It sounds like it will be after dark when you get to the station in February. The station is in a newer, upscale industrial/office area and it's very safe. There should be a lot of commuters using the station during the evening.

Does the FLYaway in LA go to/from John Wayne. It goes to some of the other airports in the area and the fare is $4. I'm doing that in Dec. (from LAX to Union Station) then down to San Diego. Amtrak should be able to accommodate your luggage also.

No the FLYAWAY bus does not run between LAX and John Wayne Airport. Also, the Irvine Amtrak station DOES NOT have checked baggage service. However, the Santa Ana Amtrak station does. The Santa Ana station is farther from John Wayne than the Irvine station so the taxi fare would probably be more.

Does the FLYaway in LA go to/from John Wayne. It goes to some of the other airports in the area and the fare is $4. I'm doing that in Dec. (from LAX to Union Station) then down to San Diego. Amtrak should be able to accommodate your luggage also.

The Santa Ana station is 7 miles from SNA, actually a bit closer than the Irvine station, and all trains stop there (some may not stop at Irvine). The neighborhood around the Santa Ana station is NOT good. During the day is fine but I would not leave the station area after dark and be a bit wary. There should be a lot of passengers using the station until 8 or 9pm.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like my decision was to fly in a few days before our cruise to see the sights of San Diego. Just want to check my facts...about how long will it take me to drive from SNA to a hotel near the pier in San Diego? I will be driving on a Thursday night at around 10:45 pm local time. If anyone has a suggested route I would be happy to listen!

Looks like my decision was to fly in a few days before our cruise to see the sights of San Diego. Just want to check my facts...about how long will it take me to drive from SNA to a hotel near the pier in San Diego? I will be driving on a Thursday night at around 10:45 pm local time. If anyone has a suggested route I would be happy to listen!
90 minutes. Take I-405 from the airport south; it merges with I-5 and goes straight into San Diego. Couldn't be easier.

Since your drive will be at night, no point in the scenic route. You might as well go the quick way. From the rental car garage at SNA you will pull onto the loop road in front of the terminal. Stay in the left lanes and follow the 405 South signs (above the lanes). You will make a left turn onto MacArthur Blvd. Stay to the right and the entrance to I-405 will be a short block ahead. If there's two or more in your car you can use the HOV lanes. I-405 merges with I-5 about 10 miles south of the airport. If you're in the HOV there's a direct flyover to I-5. From there about 80 miles to San Diego.

There will be little or no traffic that late in the evening. South of San Clemente there's a fast stretch where the traffic flow is 75-80mph. On the north side of San Diego, I-805 splits off from I-5. Pay attention to the signs and be sure you get in the correct lane early (I-5 Downtown).

When you get to downtown San Diego, just follow the signs that say "Cruise Ships". Very easy!

Archived