I need to vent!

cruz chic

Oh boy - I am glad that we don't care when we eat, we selected open dining for more flexibility. Honestly I don't understand why the timing of a meal is an issue for people, but I do understand frustration if HAL isn't delivering what they said they would...

If my party can not be changed to the traditional dining that we all requested at booking, my next stop will be to the purser's desk to remove my autotip as open dining can not possibly give us the service that we have come to expect in a ship's dining room - a wait staff that knows after the first night our preferences and food restrictions (one mushroom allergy, one diabetic, two coffee drinkers who want coffee from the moment they sit down, etc).

Perhaps if all of us disgruntled passengers forced into open seating removed the tips, HAL might get the message.

My cabin steward and others will be well tipped as usual.

Cruise lines have been pooling tips for more than 50 years. Autotips go into a pool and are not targeted to specific room stewards or wait staff. Once you remove the autotip, your room steward is required to turn over any gratuity he receives to the pool. To use a strategy of stiffing the hardworking crew because you assume service will be inferior, seems misplaced.

There is something about expecting coffee to be served immediately upon being seated and expecting the waitstaff ( anywhere) to remember food allergies/medical conditions that seems somewhat unreasonable, given you are sailing with 2000 other passengers. Oh my stars, what happens if everyone demanded coffee upon being seated? How would the waitstaff determine who gets the first pour?:D

Perhaps you might consider sending HAL the strongest message possible and book with another cruise line, perhaps Crystal or Seaborn, where the crew/passenger ratios are more conducive to the kind of service you require to enjoy your cruise.

I still can't understand why HAL has to "dictate" the dinning, and not let the customer/passenger decide at booking what they want then configure the dinning room to accomodate those requests for that particular cruise!

And how much simpler things would be if they went back to fixed seating, early and late, and that was it! The "anytimers" could visit the Lido for their evening service at their leisure.

This would be much simpler...but I doubt HAL is going to take the "simple" route. If HAL continues doing this (angering people who have "confirmed" dining reservations by changing them), then they risk losing that segment of cruisers.

It's one thing to not confirm a seating, it's another to confirm and then change the seating.

I do think your idea is a good one. :)

Oh boy - I am glad that we don't care when we eat, we selected open dining for more flexibility. Honestly I don't understand why the timing of a meal is an issue for people, but I do understand frustration if HAL isn't delivering what they said they would...

Glad you don't mind when and where you eat. As a solo cruiser I find it very draining to deal with a new group of people for every meal. I like seeing the same folks some portion of every day. I do cruise alone because it's draining for me to be around the same person 24/7. I'm sorry you find this so hard to understand.

ViolaSwamp, read carefully. The OP in this case is a solo cruiser. She does not want to eat alone every night, but picked traditional dining because it's comes with a set table and table mates. Although it is working out well for couples or groups of friends, AYW dining does not work well for solo cruisers who do not want to eat alone.

To the OP, I totally understand why you are upset. I am also positive this will get resolved.

I absolutely understand why OP is upset and totally agree. It isn't right to receive confirmation of the dining requested and then not have that honored. I would be a very unhappy cruiser.... and wouldn't be shy about it. ;)

Lorekauf...where do you stand with this now? Do you have something in writing that says you have the fixed seating?

Yes I actually have the HAL invoice that says early fixed plus an email that says I have it. I got a call back from HAL regrading this because I sent them another email and my concerns I felt were not addressed. I still have no comfort on this but I will be taking this paperwork along and hope for the best.

Prefering fixed seating isn't about eating at the same time each night.

In this instance the person is cruising solo and would prefer fixed seating so that they can have the same dinner companions each night. Even when not cruising solo many people prefer not having to go through the same opening conversation each night with a different set of people, but having the chance to get to know your table mates better and knowing and looking forward to who you are having dinner with that night.

Fixed seating also allows you to have the same servers each night who know you and your preferences. They can serve you better, for example, have your drink of choice waiting for you just the way you like it and make better reccomendations based on your tastes.

I'm not a happy camper today! I finally got my cruise documents today 19 days before I leave. I booked this cruise 15 months ahead of time and got confirmed for early traditional dining. This is important to me as I am going solo. I got my tickets and I am confirmed in OPEN SEATING!!! I've got a call into my TA right now and I am waiting for a call back. Has this happened to anyone else...and was it resolved:mad: ?

The SAME THING just happened to me when I reviewed confirmation from TA despite another member of our party having called HAL 3 weeks ago and been assured that we had early traditional. When our TA called HAL he was told that we had been originally waitlist which is an out and out LIE!Have to start the process of contacting customer relations.

The SAME THING just happened to me when I reviewed confirmation from TA despite another member of our party having called HAL 3 weeks ago and been assured that we had early traditional. When our TA called HAL he was told that we had been originally waitlist which is an out and out LIE!Have to start the process of contacting customer relations.

Oh but HAL insists it all my travel agents fault that caused this. Isn't that something else. When I cruise Princess I don't have these issues. Wonder why my travel agent doesn't screw up with Princess if it's her fault. This is not right.

You're right, lorekauf, it is not right -- and it is pretty unprofessional for anyone to point fingers at anyone else, as HAL is doing re: your TA.

I hope whoever caused this mess gets to travel as a single sometime, so they realize how much better it is to have the same tablemates every night. If I'd been stuck with AYWD on my first cruise, I'd probably not have cruised again. My dinner companions made a huge difference in how enjoyable my cruise was.

Wow, the day draws near!!! And you'll STILL be cruising when we get home from the Sea of Cortez. The trip of a lifetime -- I hope you have a fabulous time!

You're right, lorekauf, it is not right -- and it is pretty unprofessional for anyone to point fingers at anyone else, as HAL is doing re: your TA.

I hope whoever caused this mess gets to travel as a single sometime, so they realize how much better it is to have the same tablemates every night. If I'd been stuck with AYWD on my first cruise, I'd probably not have cruised again. My dinner companions made a huge difference in how enjoyable my cruise was.

Wow, the day draws near!!! And you'll STILL be cruising when we get home from the Sea of Cortez. The trip of a lifetime -- I hope you have a fabulous time!

Thanks for the good wishes.

On another unrelated note I see my guarentee room has been assigned. I'm not impressed. The ship is so empty too. I'm pretty sure this will be my last cruise with HAL.

Have an awesome time on your cruise!

I'm pretty sure this will be my last cruise with HAL.

Gee, that's really too bad :( I can totally understand when a cruiseline messes up, how you end up feeling about the line. I hope you find that everything about your trip is excellent, though, once you are onboard.

I checked the HAL site and your cruise shows availability in every category. Maybe you'll get an upgrade at the pier (it happened to us many, many years ago). I mean, it's not really likely they'll sell out that long a cruise this close to sailing date, is it?

Take lots of pics, you're doing a vacation I can only dream of taking! I'll need to live vicariously through you :D

Thanks for the good wishes -- this is the longest we will have left our pets in the care of others. I'm hoping all goes smoothly, and the bird is still fully feathered on our return!

Gee, that's really too bad :( I can totally understand when a cruiseline messes up, how you end up feeling about the line. I hope you find that everything about your trip is excellent, though, once you are onboard.

I checked the HAL site and your cruise shows availability in every category. Maybe you'll get an upgrade at the pier (it happened to us many, many years ago). I mean, it's not really likely they'll sell out that long a cruise this close to sailing date, is it?

Take lots of pics, you're doing a vacation I can only dream of taking! I'll need to live vicariously through you :D

Thanks for the good wishes -- this is the longest we will have left our pets in the care of others. I'm hoping all goes smoothly, and the bird is still fully feathered on our return!

I can understand the pet issue and I don't have one. My brother has the cutest puppy that I just adore. I'm going to miss him like you wouldn't believe.

I never meant to imply that the OP shouldn't be upset - she has every right to be angry about being treated in such a manner.

I just don't understand the allure of fixed seating - I understand the reasons given, but to me even if I was cruising solo I'd never want the same table or tablemates every night. I'm too flighty for that. :eek: :o

Not saying it's WRONG to want fixed seating, it's just not my thing. ;)

Cruise lines have been pooling tips for more than 50 years. Autotips go into a pool and are not targeted to specific room stewards or wait staff. Once you remove the autotip, your room steward is required to turn over any gratuity he receives to the pool. To use a strategy of stiffing the hardworking crew because you assume service will be inferior, seems misplaced.

There is something about expecting coffee to be served immediately upon being seated and expecting the waitstaff ( anywhere) to remember food allergies/medical conditions that seems somewhat unreasonable, given you are sailing with 2000 other passengers. Oh my stars, what happens if everyone demanded coffee upon being seated? How would the waitstaff determine who gets the first pour?:D

Perhaps you might consider sending HAL the strongest message possible and book with another cruise line, perhaps Crystal or Seaborn, where the crew/passenger ratios are more conducive to the kind of service you require to enjoy your cruise.

Everyone being upset that major cruise lines like HAL or Princess or etc. doesn't respect them and take care of their individual needs is not realistic. The major lines have more ships with more passengers being serviced by fewer shore side and shipboard staff at lower profit margins. It's reality. If you HAVE to have a particular service, to be guaranteed no hassle to get it, you may have to go on a smaller more expensive line. The major lines have business models that cater to the masses.

We are lucky enough to be flexible about cabin and dining time so the major line works for us. But we too have things we expect and will move on it they are not supplied by the major lines.

FYI if you read on Princess the boards or any major cruise lines boards you will see lots of complaints about dining reservations, actual experiences, etc. They just can't please everyone.

So to the OP now that you have done everything in your control, relax and enjoy the anticipation of the cruise. Being pessimistic by nature (like my DH) means that you need to really focus that everything under your control has been accomplished and you are set for a great vacation. It will not be perfect, no trip ever is. You seem to have expectations of a "trip of a lifetime". And it probably will be, but still not a perfect vacation with no changes or bumps on the road. Carpe Diem!

Thanks for the good wishes.

On another unrelated note I see my guarentee room has been assigned. I'm not impressed. The ship is so empty too. I'm pretty sure this will be my last cruise with HAL.

Have an awesome time on your cruise!

I feel the same way, BUT, you get what you pay for.

HAL is, hands down, the best value/price for the solo cruiser, maybe equal to Carnival, but HAL is better quality. Most mass market lines have a 200% single supplement. (mileage varies) I’m not paying that, I’ll go with someone. Otherwise, you have to go to the high end lines and pay $400 plus a night. I haven’t got that kind of scratch.;)

IMO, even in a low grade cabin, and forced AYWD, beggars can’t be choosers. $100-$150 a night, for what you get, is a great deal for the solo cruiser. The population is growing, and HAL has more customers being “born” everyday. They can afford to lose a few customers, as evidenced by their promise breaking activities. (BTW, this is speculation, no flaming anger please)

Mark

And how much simpler things would be if they went back to fixed seating, early and late, and that was it! The "anytimers" could visit the Lido for their evening service at their leisure.

It appears this newfangled AYWD has done a wonderful job of annoying people. Let's go back to the days when AYWD meant "Room Service" or "Lido"

I can't for the life of me understand why HAL would want to copy these other ideas? Why not set yourself apart from the masses? If the other lines have '"Wife Beater Tees and Shorts In The Dining Room Night" will they follow suit and implement this as well?:eek:

I feel the same way, BUT, you get what you pay for.

HAL is, hands down, the best value/price for the solo cruiser, maybe equal to Carnival, but HAL is better quality. Most mass market lines have a 200% single supplement. (mileage varies) I’m not paying that, I’ll go with someone. Otherwise, you have to go to the high end lines and pay $400 plus a night. I haven’t got that kind of scratch.;)

IMO, even in a low grade cabin, and forced AYWD, beggars can’t be choosers. $100-$150 a night, for what you get, is a great deal for the solo cruiser. The population is growing, and HAL has more customers being “born” everyday. They can afford to lose a few customers, as evidenced by their promise breaking activities. (BTW, this is speculation, no flaming anger please)

Mark

I can totally understand what you are saying and I would be delighted if I had only paid $100-150 a night. The fact is that I paid well over $200 a night for this cruise. Princess does charge 200% but on my next cruise it was $1000 less then the same itinerary on HAL. I'm sure things won't be perfect on Princess but they have not let me down in the way that HAL has. I'm sure I won't be missed but maybe the $50,000 or more that I've put into their pockets over the last 8 years will be.

Lorekauf...... I am really sorry to read the disappointment and anger? you have about your upcoming cruise. I sincerely hope you can put it aside before you board and go ahead with plans to have a wonderful time. It truly is a 'cruise of a lifetime' and to go bearing such disappointment and expectation of disappointment seems unfortunate.

I in NO WAY mean to be critical as I agree HAL should not have switched your dining from what they originally confirmed but it has happened and hopefully has now been corrected. As to 'not impressed' with your cabin assignment...... assuming you got the category you booked and paid for, then why is there a complaint about that?

What is done is done....... you cannot control that.

But, you CAN control the attitude you bring aboard with you. If you expect the trip to disappoint you, it most assuredly will and that would truly be too bad.

Set it aside and get on with being excited about your upcoming adventure and all of the wonderful things you will love about your trip.

Just my unsolicited, bossy, nosey suggestions........ :o

Archived