EURODAM: Cabib 5187 and Balcony Pictures

JimVrhovac

Here are some pictures to give you an idea of the balcony and the room,

1-Looking down the side balcony

2-Looking at the corner. Note the small round table that had four chairs with it

3-There are the regular chairs (2) with foor rests.

Note that the balcony is not that deed

4-This is the desk that is obstructed with the Television that I talked about in the thread.

5-Closet space looking out on the room. Excuse the mess as we were unpacking.

IMG_0124.jpg.4832db5b9239056cd9f48e00a7c43173.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg.c8128d04a4937c653119d37849724fdc.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg.7cb7b91f22ec57d8ffcb5bd9c8b7038a.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg.8c6ae6719799b353e8d49e9393e8aab5.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg.8fe10995457b9941b6b036c31799de29.jpg

1-Entry way with bar on right and sofa on left

2-Sofa area and coffee table. I was standing next to bed.

3-The corner with the windown which was blocked by the TV

Hope these answer some of your questions about the room and balcony

Ruth & Jim

IMG_0135.jpg.28179a6d12832040dea30176f805aad7.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg.ff7bdb5b5aa1764584a8bb1ddee31ef2.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg.69a009dd5bf876b2c7657ae22b27d145.jpg

Believe it or not we are usually unpacked prior to lifeboat drill. The slipper holder and sorting out the slippers is generally done of the first day.

We traveled light this time because we flew. 6 suitcases, carryon's, laptob, Ruth's tote bag.....

Ruth & Jim

Wait until you see the pictures from November cruise to Guatamela. We have 50+ boxes packed for the school and infirmary....

Ruth & Jim

When we booked it (before the ship was launched) we thought the balcony was similar to the corner balconies on the Vista Class ships. On them you can fir 4 (four) full size tables and still have room.

We were ery dissapointed as we have planned a big party for the first sea day.

The balcony was nice is just was not what we had expected....

Ruth & Jim

Hello Jim... very illuminating pics, were you able to move that monitor either to the left or onto that smaller desk/stand to the right. Was that monitor bolted to the main desk? Your right, that is one waste of valuable space, and that monitor looks larger than the ones in non-suite staterooms.

attachment.php?attachmentid=93867&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1224622566

It is larger and it is bolted to the table top. I asked for cable cutters but they had no sense of humor about that question.

I emphasized in my review that this was a design problem not a crew problem. The crew overall was fantastic.

Copies of my review went to CEO HAL Mr Krus and to the Guest Relations Manager of the Eurodam. They are aware of some of the design problems and I only hope that they take corrective action in the future.

If it would have been possible o move the TV I am sure they would have done it for me but it was not possible.

Ruth & Jim

Thanks for sharing the pictures Jim.

I can see exactly why you were disappointed in your cabin.

On our Alaskan portion of our Westerdam cruise this past May, one of our CC couples had a Ketchikan farewell party -- corner aft SC like you. Their balcony was huge!!!! Plenty of room for about 12 of us to move around without any problems.

When we booked it (before the ship was launched) we thought the balcony was similar to the corner balconies on the Vista Class ships. On them you can fir 4 (four) full size tables and still have room.

We were ery dissapointed as we have planned a big party for the first sea day.

The balcony was nice is just was not what we had expected....

Ruth & Jim

thanks for explaining that... although it is a nice balcony I can see how it is much smaller than those posted below. If that's what you expected, then I can see the disappointment.

As for the T.V. placement.... stupid...stupid...stupid! Who on earth thought of putting it there??? :confused:

Thank you so much Jim for these photos.

I am glad and sad to see these.

Glad because I am aware of what I will be walking into in a few weeks.

Sad because we purposely booked an aft on the Eurodam because we, like you, love the aft verandahs on the vista class ships.

I read in your review that you talked to the conceiage about it when you got on board. I HATE to complain when on vacation, but I am wondering if I should say something when on board so the staff is aware of the unhappiness of other pax?

We too were planning on hosting a big sail away party and I don't think everyone will be able to fit there. :(

Can you please offer any suggestions when we get on board to possibly getting a different cabin?

At this point (40 days til we sail) there are still cabins available in other categories (SA) but I do not want the staff to think we are looking for a "free ride". When we booked this cabin (over a year and a half ago) we had no idea the verandahs would be so small.

I regular suites are available and you can afford them transfer now. This will be the easiest way.

The ship is well aware of the problems withe the stern rooms.

I sent a copy of my review to CEO HAL and would suggest you do the same. Only way we can get change is to let them know there is a problem

Have a nice trip.

Ruth & Jim

I can understand your disappointment with the TV placement, but I am at a loss at why you are displeased with the balcony? Others on this thread have commented that they are displeased because they expected it to be just like the Vistas and that it is/did ruin a balcony party that you would have...well, this is not a Vista class ship. Did HAL mislead you about the size of the balcony, i.e. did you contact them for the measurements and they supplied you with the same measurements as the Vista that were obviously wrong? Just asking - because that would make me mad if I went in with assumptions based on cold hard fact. However, I can only fault myself if I was simply basing it off my last cruise on a Vista class. I can sympathize with your thinking that it would be the same, but if we all get caught in this rut and keep saying, "But on the Vistas, they do this" I think that we are selling the Eurodam short. Now, I totally appreciate that aft corner suites on the Vistas have a balcony that is not worthy of the category (as in it should be for a higher category). Why are we to assume that HAL didn't notice this too and subsequently altered this signature class?

Now on a different note - did anyone else notice that with the gray-ish walls and dark wood panels that the halls and rooms on the Eurodam seem more cold? It was just an observation from my last cruise on her a few weeks ago. I peeked into some insides and it almost seemed like a hospital room. Just not as warm colors overall I guess.

I can understand your disappointment with the TV placement' date=' but I am at a loss at why you are displeased with the balcony? Others on this thread have commented that they are displeased because they expected it to be just like the Vistas and that it is/did ruin a balcony party that you would have...well, this is not a Vista class ship. Did HAL mislead you about the size of the balcony, i.e. did you contact them for the measurements and they supplied you with the same measurements as the Vista that were obviously wrong? Just asking - because that would make me mad if I went in with assumptions based on cold hard fact. However, I can only fault myself if I was simply basing it off my last cruise on a Vista class. I can sympathize with your thinking that it would be the same, but if we all get caught in this rut and keep saying, "But on the Vistas, they do this" I think that we are selling the Eurodam short. Now, I totally appreciate that aft corner suites on the Vistas have a balcony that is not worthy of the category (as in it should be for a higher category). Why are we to assume that HAL didn't notice this too and subsequently altered this signature class? [/quote']

I agree with everything you said. I read the OP's review a few days ago, and i just remember thinking how bad i felt for the crew to have to put up with him. I mean, they were even trying to find him a different cabin :eek:. Must have done an awful lot of complaining to get them to that level. I mean, if you book a cabin on a new ship based on a different ships deckplans, and your personal memory of that OTHER ship, that's your perogative. But when it does not work out in your favor, that's your own fault, and pretty crummy to complain about it to the point that you did. I am only speaking of the balcony issue btw.

That TV location is so bizarre... You may have joked about it, but it would have been tempting to rip the thing off the desk...

At least you will surely get some understanding feedback from the HAL CEO... Please keep us informed...

:D :D :D

I can understand your disappointment with the TV placement' date=' but I am at a loss at why you are displeased with the balcony? Others on this thread have commented that they are displeased because they expected it to be just like the Vistas and that it is/did ruin a balcony party that you would have...well, this is not a Vista class ship. Did HAL mislead you about the size of the balcony, i.e. did you contact them for the measurements and they supplied you with the same measurements as the Vista that were obviously wrong? Just asking - because that would make me mad if I went in with assumptions based on cold hard fact. However, I can only fault myself if I was simply basing it off my last cruise on a Vista class. I can sympathize with your thinking that it would be the same, but if we all get caught in this rut and keep saying, "But on the Vistas, they do this" I think that we are selling the Eurodam short. Now, I totally appreciate that aft corner suites on the Vistas have a balcony that is not worthy of the category (as in it should be for a higher category). Why are we to assume that HAL didn't notice this too and subsequently altered this signature class?

Now on a different note - did anyone else notice that with the gray-ish walls and dark wood panels that the halls and rooms on the Eurodam seem more cold? It was just an observation from my last cruise on her a few weeks ago. I peeked into some insides and it almost seemed like a hospital room. Just not as warm colors overall I guess.[/quote']

Many of us booked these cabins on the E more than a year ago. No one at HAL could give us specifics about the cabins except to say that they would be very similar to the Vistas. There was never any suggestion that these balconies would be half the size as the Vistas. I therefore feel quite justified in my disappointment!

Many of us booked these cabins on the E more than a year ago. No one at HAL could give us specifics about the cabins except to say that they would be very similar to the Vistas. There was never any suggestion that these balconies would be half the size as the Vistas. I therefore feel quite justified in my disappointment!

There's no doubt you are entitled to your disappointment. But, on the same note, you wrote your own disappointment. You said it yourself, that nobody @ HAL could give you dimensions of the balcony, but they would be similar to the Vista class. Well, as far as i can see, they are similar, in fact very similar, they are the same layout, just, smaller. I don't think HAL has done anything wrong here. So again, even though you wrote it, yes, you are still entitled to be disappointed.

Now, the OP on the other hand, actually went as far as to call the front desk and have someone come to his room. That was WAY over reacting, again, he wrote his own disappointment, and took it out out HAL employees who really should not have had to listen to his complaining. To leave a comment on a comment card about it, or to stop by reception and let them know is one thing, but to actually complain to the point that they try to find you another room on the ship :eek:. C'mon, get over it already.

Here are some pictures to give you an idea of the balcony and the room,

1-Looking down the side balcony

2-Looking at the corner. Note the small round table that had four chairs with it

3-There are the regular chairs (2) with foor rests.

Note that the balcony is not that deed

4-This is the desk that is obstructed with the Television that I talked about in the thread.

5-Closet space looking out on the room. Excuse the mess as we were unpacking.

Copies of my review went to CEO HAL Mr Krus and to the Guest Relations Manager of the Eurodam

Oh, the horrors!!! :eek:

On the other hand, in the good old USA there are 37 million people subsisting below the poverty level and another 45 million without health insurance coverage.

Maybe a misplaced TV set and a too small for parties balcony isn't so bad.

Copies of my review went to CEO HAL Mr Krus and to the Guest Relations Manager of the Eurodam

On the other hand, in the good old USA there are 37 million people subsisting below the poverty level and another 45 million without health insurance coverage.

Last time I checked, poverty level in this country means only one car, no more than two or three color TV's, top load washing machines and a push lawnmower. Wanna see real poverty, check out a place like Jamaica or Haiti. Ninety percent of indigents have free access to healthcare in the U.S. either through Medicaid, or simply showing up at the E.R. Having said all of that, I suppose we should feel guilty every time we book a cruise, or access any other vacation opportunity. Most of us have worked very hard in order to afford nice vacations and I, for one, don't feel any guilt about it. I also feel that I have earned the right to be disappointed when things don't go as planned, but that's life. These little disappointments are a learning experience that guides us in future decision making. The lesson for me is to avoid new ship classes until accurate information about them is available.

My understanding was that the Vista aft cabins were actually the size of an SS with a huge balcony. Now that the balcony is gone, it seems only fair that HAL designate them for what they are, SS's. Jim and Ruth paid mightily for a suite and they didn't get one IMHO.

So expecting to get what you thought paid for makes someone shallow? Uncaring? What does people living in poverty have to do with this? Nobody mentioned anything about a lack of concern for those less fortunate.

This is a post about an experience the OP had where he paid for one thing and feels he got less than what he paid for. I am certain the OP paid quite a bit for this suite and had expectations based on past transactions with HAL.

Would you be satisfied if you paid for business class air but got seated in coach? Would that be OK? Would you say, oh well, there are people living in poverty so it's OK.

I do a lot of reading on this board. I am quite certain the OP sent a very respectful letter to HAL regarding this issue. He doesn't at all come across as someone who would be nasty or petty and he didn't mentioned anything about looking to be compensated. In fact, didn't he post a copy of a very thoughtful and kind letter? Complementing the integrity and professionalism of several of the crew?

Count me with those that are/will be disapointed on the Aft verandahs on the Eurodam. There are 20 of us booked on Jan 17th,with the all of the aft cabins suites on deck 7 ( and 2 around the starboard side).

I knew that the balconies were shallower but did not realize the big difference. We will still have a good time but I think I had better break it to the others before they get Verandah SHOCK!

Will it riun the trip, no, but it will start things off with a UGH instead of a WOW!

Thanks for the heads up!

Martini Cruiser

I agree with everything you said. I read the OP's review a few days ago, and i just remember thinking how bad i felt for the crew to have to put up with him. I mean, they were even trying to find him a different cabin :eek:.

I actually went back and read the review again...the only part I could find about crew interaction in regards to the displeasure about the room was with the Guest Relations Manager. Call me crazy but it seems to me, just judging by the title, this would be the person to express your displeasure with. Why would you feel bad for this person ? Nowhere did I read he was yelling or screaming about issues with the GRM. Only thing I can think is that you were much better at reading between the lines. :confused:

You said it yourself, that nobody @ HAL could give you dimensions of the balcony, but they would be similar to the Vista class. Well, as far as i can see, they are similar, in fact very similar, they are the same layout, just, smaller.

I have been on a sail away on the Vista balcony Jim speaks about( actually last Saturday)...they may be the same shape but not remotely similar in size. I would guess there were roughly 30+ people on that balcony. The person who had this cabin( thanks again Cathy) got the room like Jim specifically for the balcony it came with.

Wow that is some good thread drift .... how about just focusing on the ship...I mean my inside "suite" didn't even come with a balcony and my tv was much smaller:eek:.....while poverty isn't funny, it really has nothing to do with this thread.

Of course these thoughts are just IHMO :D

Tayo and Kristy

Archived