Bathtub in the Med

ludocdoc

I'm trying to get my mother into cruising. Not so she can cruise with us, just because I love it and think she would. But there's a hitch. Youo don't want to know the details, but she needs a bathtub. She also wants to room alone. And she wants to organize a trip for 10-15 of her cronies to the Eastern Med (she espescially wants to visit Santorini). She is not wealthy. See the problem?

SO... She may get a fare for free if she gets enough people to join, but that will likely only cover helf the stateroom fee. She's willing to pay the "single supplement" which I expect is just the other "person's" fare assuming she gets hers waived for bringing a group.

I know HAL has tubs in their oceanviews and above. Any other ideas on how to cruise to Santorini in a room with a tub, without a roomate, without breaking the bank?

This is a time where a good travel agent could really come in handy to help look for something that meets your mother's needs (and budget). I recommend calling around and talking to several in your area and see if you find one you feel comfortable with.

Most of the major US cruiselines (except HAL) you have to go up to at least a mini-suite or junior suite to get a bathtub.

As to Santorini, RCCL for example has Splendour of the Seas doing 7 night Greek Isles cruises that visit Santorini, but you'd have to go up to a junior suite to get a bathtub which could be expensive. I'm sure that most of the other cruiselines that sail in Europe also have itineraries that visit Santorini so there should be options for you.

One thing to consider is when they want to sail. If they can go in shoulder season, she may be able to find a better price than if she wants to go in the middle of summer. This would also help with airfare as once you hit about mid-May airfare to Europe usually skyrockets.

Not only does HAL have tubs in oceanview and above cabins, they also have some of the best deals on single supplements.

Check out 10 day Noordam July 8, 2009 - roundtrip Rome - stops in Santorini, plus Dubrovnik, Corfu, Olympia, Ephesus, Athens and Messina - oceanview double occupancy would be $1850 - single is $2475.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the assists thus far! She has a planning meeting with her group soon. I've been pushing HAL. I enjoyed my cruise on Splendour (we were on the other week, though, which did not visit Santorini). I think for her the HAL makes more sense for the reasons you've posted!

Archived