Bears in early June

Tom O.

Will be on one of those 7 day round trip cruises out of Seattle the first week of June. I would like to see some bears. What are my options?

Ports include Juneu, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Prince Rupert.

Will be on one of those 7 day round trip cruises out of Seattle the first week of June. I would like to see some bears. What are my options?

Ports include Juneu, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Prince Rupert.

We sailed 6/1/2008 R/T from Seattle this year, in Skagway we rented a car from Avis and drove to Emerald Lake and saw 3 black bears on route. We also saw numerous bears on shore from the ship (bring binoculars).

We sailed on May 31st this year, and while in Juneau on a whale watch, saw a bear on the beach, but that was it. Also while we were at Mendenhall Glacier, there were reports of several bears seen that day, though we didn't see them. I know that time of year is way too early for the salmon runs, but they're coming out to the beach and the forest to get some food after their long winter sleep. Don't think you'd want to spend the $$$ on a bear watch flight somewhere at that time of year. Luck of the draw, I'm afraid!

• 2 months later...

You will have great opportunities to see bears in Prince Rupert. Due to their behavioural patterns bears come out of hibernation and eat sedgegrass at the shore from April to August, when they begin to head inland and upriver for the salmon rums. The Khutzeymateen bear Sanctuary is a sedgegrass riparian zone, meaning bear viewing by boat (cheaper than flights) from early May until mid-August. You want grizzlies? Come to Rupert!

Archived