northern lights tour?

max44

Has anyone done this?

Ive just been browsing around the forum's trying to find some info these type of cruises. Ive only had the idea to do this in the last couple of day's so not really sure were to start.

Who do you recommend for this type of cruise?

We would like to fly from the U.K to norway! maybe do a 4-5 day cruise, Whats the best time of year to see the lights (im thinking Feb 09) is the sea quite calm or would we be in for a rough ride? What sort of prices are we looking at.

Any info you have id be very pleased to hear it. :)

None of the major cruise lines, that I know of, do this type of cruise. Most are land tours out of Olso that go up to Trondheim and Tromso. Some might even go up to the North Cape, via snowmobile. Norweigan Coastal Cruises does a one night trip in conjunction with a three or four day land tour, that includes snowmobiling to see the lights.

I did a 14 day North Cape cruise on Crystal this past July and it was fantastic, but I cannot imagine what it would be like in winter. The temps in July were in the low 50's so it would be terribly cold in February

When I lived in Iceland (was in the Navy and stationed there for 4 years) the Northern Lights could be seen from September through March. I remember October and November being very active. That's one thing that I really miss seeing. Absolutely beautiful!!!

I lived in Alaska for three years (also military, like the previous poster) and the thing is, you can't really know for sure you're going to be able to see the Northern Lights on any specific date, so I can't imagine anyone wanting to promise people a Northern Lights cruise (or any other type of event). Conditions have to be just right to see them. Your best bet is to plan on spending a couple weeks in a likely location and pray for the best.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

The cruise you need to go on is Hurtigruten - they sail all year.

As you can see from my signature, we did two Hurtigruten cruises - one in the summer (with 24 hour sun) which was so brilliant that I wanted to try the exact opposite. I got my wish and was very glad we did that.

Not true that Norway was in complete darkness above the Arctic Circle - thought the sun never rise above the horizon, the noon-time twilights were so beautiful and long!

We were lucky to see the Northern Lights one evening - it lasted about 30 mins. Somehow the capitan got plenty of warning that it was going to happen and announced it to us via PA - even in our cabins.

It was a 11 night cruise and we saw it only once - but I have read since then that there is a cycle -- some years it's excellent, others bad.

But the good part of the cruise was that we had 24 hour moon (as opposite to 24 hour sun in summer). Up above the arctic circle we saw noon-time pink/orange twilight on one side and almost full moon on the other side.

On the day of the full moon we were sailing below the Arctic Circle westwards out of Trondheim. The full moon doesn't come up until the sun is set and vice versa. At about 11:15am we saw the moon set on our right and the sun rise on our left. Then we went into hot tub. Then 1 1/2 hour later we saw the sun set on our left and the moon rise on our right.

Lesson to all: Arctic Circle is so marked (the lowest latitude possible) where the sun does not appear AT ALL above the horizon on the day of the Winter Solstice (Dec 21) and where the sun does not sink any part of itself AT ALL below the horizon on the day of the Summer Solstice (June 21).

The Antarctic Circle is th same but in opposite.

If you have questions, do ask!!

Archived