I must thank Merion Mom

Happy ks

:) Last April we were on Monarch with you, sitting at your table. It was my sister and I, Kathy and Mary.

We were still planning our trip to Italy and had an extra day after the cruise and hadn't settled on a tour as yet, you advised a day at Tivoli.

I have to say that although our cruise was fantastic from beginning to end, Tivoli will remain one of our favorite memories. Our driver first took us to Villa Adriana, where we pent a couple of hours climbing around in the ruins there. We then had a lovely lunch at a restaurant, Il Grottino della Sibilla, built beside old ruins and in business for over 200 years, we dined on the patio, covered with the oldest wisteria I'll ever see. After lunch we spent a couple of hours at Villa d' Este, going through the building and making almost all the way down to see all the amazing fountains.

I never would have considered this without your recommendation, so I'd like to say thank you, it was a great and memorable day :)

:) Last April we were on Monarch with you, sitting at your table. It was my sister and I, Kathy and Mary.

We were still planning our trip to Italy and had an extra day after the cruise and hadn't settled on a tour as yet, you advised a day at Tivoli.

I have to say that although our cruise was fantastic from beginning to end, Tivoli will remain one of our favorite memories. Our driver first took us to Villa Adriana, where we pent a couple of hours climbing around in the ruins there. We then had a lovely lunch at a restaurant, Il Grottino della Sibilla, built beside old ruins and in business for over 200 years, we dined on the patio, covered with the oldest wisteria I'll ever see. After lunch we spent a couple of hours at Villa d' Este, going through the building and making almost all the way down to see all the amazing fountains.

I never would have considered this without your recommendation, so I'd like to say thank you, it was a great and memorable day :)

Thank you for posting this information and good tip you received from MM as I will file this info away when I finally book a cruise to Europe.

This makes me so happy! We had a great cruise, didn't we?

I *do* love the Villa Adriana!

2195670090077959744S500x500Q85.jpg

And the Villa D'Este!

2320427160077959744S500x500Q85.jpg

2967376000077959744S500x500Q85.jpg

Yep, that's part of what we saw. I'm hoping I can post a pic of the restaurant here:

1473182256_fd799d1e39.jpg?v=0

The food was outstanding, rather expensive but well worth it. While we were eating a couple of tourist groups came in to see it. We were surrounded by all Italian speaking diners, all very well dressed, very upscale.

Yep, that's part of what we saw. I'm hoping I can post a pic of the restaurant here:

1473182256_fd799d1e39.jpg?v=0

The food was outstanding, rather expensive but well worth it. While we were eating a couple of tourist groups came in to see it. We were surrounded by all Italian speaking diners, all very well dressed, very upscale.

Oh, this looks like such a nice place to have a nice lunch!!! I wanna go....

This is serendipity, as it can only happen on Cruise Critic. I'm in the middle of figuring out my pre- and post-cruise plans for my Med cruise next year...and I was JUST looking into Tivoli for something to do post-cruise, when we're only planning on staying for a couple days before flying home from Rome. After reading this glowing review, and seeing these lovely pictures - I think the decision might be made! :)

We will be visiting Trivoli next month on a land tour. Will be sure to check out the restaurant..........any advice on what to order? Thanks for the pictures..........we can't wait.

Carol

It was pretty funny, our tour driver called ahead and told them we (group of 7) were coming. The woman at the restaurant, we ended up calling her Momma, barely took our order, the food just started coming! We had bread, antipasto, appetizers, followed by pasta and then a main course, she did let us choose our own main course ;) . They had wonderful fish, seabass and I had one of the best steaks of my life there. I'm not much of a meat eater, but they were cooking them in an outdoor fire and I was curious. Along with plenty of wine to wash it down. After all that, and feeling like we were going to rolly-polly back up the hill, we ordered what turned out to be the best Tiramisu we've ever had and concluded our meal with cappucino. I can't believe we ate the whole thing :D

I didn't want to eat until the next day. It was expensive but well worth it. Don't ask how much, my cousin put it on her credit card and will email us the results at a later date. I'm thinking around $75 per person.

I'm thinking we got the "American tourist" special.

Archived