Live From The Decks Of Maasdam 14 Nights 10/24/08 - Comparing Hal To X

tuggers

thanks Gail! Loving the comparisons. When you get time I am looking forward to reading about the pool deck. drink Service, chair hogs:eek: etc. Sorbet on a hot sea day? Pool band? etc.

So far HAL sounds lovely. Your cabin sounds heavenly and is way ahead of the game when comparing X to HAL.

You are so appreciated for spending your precious cruise hours on posting for us.. THANK YOU!~

Tuggers you are doing a great job!! I am interested as I have been toying with the idea of HA for a while.

X has been my no1 but recently on Summit in August felt that there was a lot of corner cutting on costs etc. The Jury is out until I take my Millennium cruise in November. I am away in total for 8 weeks which takes me from Mid November until 13th Jan. The 14 night cruise is fitted in between 2 nights Singapore and then Auckland. Staying on in Australia at the end for a further 5 weeks.

Cunard QM2 has impressed me last year and this and so depending on how Millennium is on this upcoming cruise it could be that I will venture further afield and give HA a try.

Wondering how what level the single supplement is in comparison to X.

Enjoy the rest of the trip and keep the review coming> It's GREAT

Sue

Hi Gail !

Thank you for your wonderful reports. I'm happy to hear you are having an excellent Cruise !

BTW, did you know that Constellation will be doing 14 night Ultimate Caribbean out of Miami in Winter 2009/Spring 2010 ? I dont think you can get a better itinerary than this one. If you liked Connie's 10 night sailings (and I know you do), this itinerary is even better !

I look forward to your next report !

.......the backs of both the chairs and the sofas come only up to about the bottom of your shoulder blade. No back support at all. After 30 minutes or so that can really get to you. Remember those horrid chairs with the split back they used to have in the Rendezvous Lounge on Zenith? To me these are even more uncomfortable

I find that hard to believe!!!:D

Hi Gail! Enjoying your log!

Gail,

Good to hear athat you have table companions.....Also good to hear the Terri hadn't lost anything that day.....I remember the trouble she had with her small suitcase last April.....

continue to have fun and write such a good comparison...

Judy

Hi Tuggers..

I am enjoying reading your review!

I have only been on HAL and have always had breakfast on the balcony in the morning.

I am going on my first cruise on X in February and understand that unless your in a CC cabin or suite you are relegated to a simple continental breakfast on X - -

it has been two years since I have been on HAL - are they still offering the full breakfast to anyone and not like the "class" system they use on X..... (thats just my observation)

This is a backup in case the 3/16 Connie doesn’t work out or Perry Grant is not going to be onboard during that time. Perry not being on Connie is a deal breaker for our group!

I'm 90% certain that Perry will not be onboard in March. I will check again for you.

How is the wine that you get with the wine card and are the servings the same size as a glass on X?

Great reading about your travels, Gail. I always like your details, and your comparisons are living up to your style.

I have wondered about HAL myself, but have never cruised anything but =X=. Sounds good, overall. (Those kids in the nighttime activities would NOT be a favorite of mine. Lock the little devils up, and throw the parents overboard; it is their fault that kids are running the show, after all.)

Have never heard of a wine card; sounds like a good idea. Thanks for your write-ups to now and for future installments.:)

Bill

Gail--loving reading your reports!

I can't believe poor Terri experienced a JoAn incident---I'll NEVER forget her face as we drove away in the bus in London! :( Also--I remember Terri forgetting her iPod on the plane & remembering while we were driving from Stanstead into London---those 2 girls!!!! Thank goodness they have YOU to hold them together!!!!:D

So glad you are all having a great trip--I know how much Terri needed this one and I am sure you did too after loosing Tuggie. Please tell Deb hi from me too!

R. Lynn

Here are the anwers to the questions I picked up yesterday. I will continue to do this (cut and pasting the questions into a word document on my laptop so I can answer them more fully onboard and then post as a group next time I have internet access)

Hi Gail. I was thinking of you at the weekend and that I hadn't seen you around. Glad to see you start this thread. I always enjoy reading your "live from" posts and look forward to hearing about your trip on Maasdam.

I was sorry to read in another thread of your loss of Tuggie Keep your chin up.

As for your packing dreams, the filling and emptying of the suitcase I can deal with, but I'd love one of those Star Trek transporters to get me to the ship. "Energise" and I'm there would be

You and Terri have a great time!

Phil

Hi, Gail!

Wishing you abundant sunshine, smooth sailing, frosty drinks and warm, sandy beaches. Have a wonderful time... you didn't by any chance book Silver Moon in Barbados, did you?? It is a wonderful catamaran; one of my favorite all time excursions, period. And if you go to Cane Garden Bay in Tortola, maybe you will have lunch at Myett's on the beach there... great food and drinks!

Hope your weather forecast for sailaway is wrong, but if not, an indoor bar will definitely do... please have a drink for me!

I was so sorry to read about Tuggers... losing beloved pets is the hardest part of sharing our lives with them, but oh, what wonderful times they give us while they are with us. Hoping those memories keep you smiling through your tears.

Hope your trip to Jacksonville is just fine, and I am looking forward to reading "the rest of the story!"

Take care,

Sue

Gail,

Have a great cruise!! I am a seasoned 58 yr old HAL cruiser who was very disappointed after our first Celebrity cruise last month on the Century. I just didn't feel that the food and service was up to the level we have experienced in the past on HAL. So I am interested in your reports comparing the 2 lines.

Terrydtx

It's interesting how subjective opinions are. We have always loved HAL and X equally. Although X is slightly better for food IMHO. On our HAL cruise in the Caribbean last year we found that our server was so pressed for time that he was unable to chat with our table as they always have in the past. He explained that mgmt is giving them more tables to attend and therefore less time to socialize. This hasn't happened yet on X including our Infinity trip in April but I am afraid it is a sign of the times. As the saying goes whatever floats your boat. I am amazed at the number of people who are affected by one or two blurbs against a cruise line. We are on the Solstice in Dec. and have booked the Westerdam for Nov. next year. Both lines are great choices.

Woody14h

Gail,

I am so looking forward to your thread! We have never sailed on HAL, but have considered it. Have a great trip and I am so sorry to hear about Tuggers.

Barbara Frye hisfirstmate

Hey Tuggers,

You're on our cruise listing going out of Baltimore on the Grandeur on 30 Oct.

Was looking forward to cruising with you again.

Maybe next time.

Debbie

Hi Gail !

I wanted to wish both You & Terri Bon Voyage on one of those "Dam" ships

I look forward to your updates. Take Care !

Regards,

Andy

Tuggers, hope you have a 'dam nice cruise.

Usha

Gail, Really interested is your observations. I have friends on board with you. You may run into them as they are also CC members. They have been loyal Celebrity cruisers and were a little hesitant booking HAL.

Nancy (hancock)

Gail,

Great to read your post. wish Joe and I were joining you all at your dinner table. you didn't say, but guess when you got to your dinner table it was just the 3 of you...how disappointing....

I also realized that I won't be able to read your daily posts after tomorrow since we will be on our cruise...guess I will have to read them after we return.

Think I am going to wish I had your cabin...ours on the Grandeur will be very small.

Have fun!

Judy

Hi Phil! Long time no hear! Hope you are doing well. I agree with you about getting to the ship and home again – but could the clothes be clean when we get back??? That would make things easier!

It’s hard without Tug but I know he’ll be waiting for me at the Bridge. That is a comfort.

Sue, the sailaway started sort of yucky but by the time we were standing out on deck warm sunshine overtook us, almost like someone up there was smiling on us.

In the frosty drink category we’ve been holding our own. B B C’s were two for one yesterday! And the drink glasses are like 20 ounces! Not booked on a catamaran in Barbados but we do have a favorite beach. Cane Garden is one of my all time favorites. In fact Terri and I are determined to spend a week there. Soon!

Thanks for the kind words about Tug. He is very much missed!

Terrydtx, Century, in my opinion was ruined with all the ‘improvements’. Used to be a favorite of mine but not anymore. My Prinsendam experience with HAL was wonderful and so far I am still impressed. A year or so ago I would have given the edge to X in food but after the subtle (and not so subtle) cuts they’ve made, combined with the extras HAL has added, on Maasdam at least, I’m giving the edge to HAL! People will not believe I (a died in the wool X’er) will be saying this, but so far I am VERY impressed!

Let’s see how the other 11 days go!

Woody14h, so far our waiters have had time to chat and take care of us like we are royalty! As for the food, see my answer above to terrydtx!

Barb, you would like/love Maasdam! Miss sailing with you guys!

Debbie, life got in the way of the Grandeur! Maybe we’ll catch you on another G repo or a HAL!

Andy, this ‘dam’ ship is winning us over! Thanks for the Bon Voyage!

Usha, see Andy’s answer above! J

Hancock, who are your friends? I’ll bet they are having as good a time as we are! The ship, the crew and the food has been wonderful!

Judy, you and Joe must know how much we miss being onboard with you guys! I know you would love this ship. We are definitely booking her again! Come with us! Food is wonderful (did I mention the Chocolate Soufflé?) and the cabins sure have Grandeur beat by a mile. And a half! J Enjoy your cruise and miss us!!!!! Talk when we both get home!

Day 4 - San Juan

We started the day off in the buffet with a relatively quick breakfast. I tried another sugar-free muffin and either someone is pulling a prank on us or these things are really, really good. No aftertaste at all that I could discern!

Lots and lots of choices. From the 8 fruit juices to the different pancakes and waffles to omelets of every description, it was a feast for the senses. Alas, we only had fruit and protein drinks (that last part was me) but we enjoyed eating it while gazing out the windows on the streets of San Juan.

We were off the ship by 10 and headed for the Internet Café. He wasn’t open so we walked another block to the post office and shipped a combined box of our dirty clothes home (lightening those suitcases for possible purchases!). We cut through the Sheraton on the way back to the Internet place and played some penny slots. I won $27 and Terri won about $12 I think.

Internet guy was in. Rates for using your own laptop are still $5 per hour or $10 for all day. Using his computer is, I think, $6 per hour with no option for all day posted. He is a very nice guy and is now the closest to the port. His address is listed as Pier 4, Covadonga Parking Building, Old San Juan. Basically he is on the street across from the Sheraton where the free Trolley has stop #1. In fact stop#1 is right in front of his business! Tell him the crazy redhead from Georgia sent you! Very nice guy!

Got that business taken care of and walked right out to a waiting Trolley which we took to Walgreen’s. Made a potty and bargain shopping stop at Marshall’s, then over to Walgreen’s for forgotten essentials plus 2 liter cokes. Back on the Trolley we were onboard ship in time for lunch. Lunch in the buffet.

Buffet had some interesting things, I had one piece of swordfish (spicy and good), a piece of Pork Schnitzel (just like on the X dining room menu, a corn fritter (delightfully spicy), and Oriental Shrimp Salad (VERY good) and what looked like cole slaw but turned out to be a VERY good shredded green apple salad. Great lunch!

We went to Team Trivia which seemed to be a little less high brow. We actually got 11 out of 16 right! BBC’s (BIG ones) were 2 for 1 so we had those. Part of our team was on a tour so there were only four of us instead of six. I maintain if we had the other two we could have had 16 out of 16 right! J

I spent an hour or so by the pool while Terri napped. Actually I napped to I just did it by the pool while she was in her cabin! I’m sure I must have been snoring away because when I woke up my mouth was open and all dry. Bet they loved me! LOL!!

I used the time before dinner to talk on the phone and check in with everyone. Sprint works in San Juan and St Thomas so I take advantage. By then it was time to get ready for dinner. Glad it was a casual night.

On the way to dinner I discovered that I had lost my wine card. It was a 20 glass one with only 3 punches! Bummer!

Deb joined us for dinner but only for the Shrimp Cocktail. She left us to go play night trivia at 9 PM. The rest of us enjoyed dinner and were once again some of the last to leave!

I had the Shrimp (true ‘shrimp’- baby size!) Cocktail with Champagne Sauce, Pea Soup and Bami Goreng (hope I spelled that right!). The BG had skewers of well seasoned chicken all placed on a noodle dish a little like Phad Thai. Different seasonings but same type of dish. Very much enjoyed it although I really was not hungry at all. Dessert was sugar-free chocolate chip ice cream. They had many wonderful desserts (about 10 of them) but I really wasn’t so hungry.

Terri and I wandered around a little, talked about going to the crew talent show at 11:30. Those are always great. In the end we were slugs and went to bed. We’ve got to become more party animals! This just isn’t like us!

Only real complaint today (and I did express it to the trivia ‘lady’) is the scheduling. They try to accommodate the early seating with the games, movies, etc at the expense of the main seating guests. Tomorrow I am going to write a note to the CD and let her know that there would be lots more participation if we didn’t have to choose between dinner and Name That Tune or the movie! With shows for main dining being at 7 and more people not going to those, being able to participate in other activities take on more significance.

I can’t speak for every HAL ship because the only ones I’ve been on are Prinsendam and Maasdam, but based on these two ships (especially this current one), HAL is giving X a real run for her money. I find the demographics not much different from X. There are certainly no more walkers and scooters on here than my last X. HAL has popped the food up a notch while I think X has cut costs a little. The result, IMO, are two lines that are very, very similar. Certainly the service on here is wonderful and the crew ALWAYS smiling. The only exceptions were the gentleman I spoke to originally about the dining table change and Cynthia on the Front Desk. Cynthia was pleasant, just not willing to let me speak to Ramona which I found off-putting. But that was at Embarkation and we all know how stressful that can be!

All in all, if I can find 14 nights or longer, going somewhere interesting, at a better or same price as X, I’m more than willing to sail HAL. I think any died in the wool X’er, coming on this ship (I can not speak for others in the line except this one and P) would be very, very happy with their choice! I’m not going to stop sailing X but I am overjoyed to have another choice!

Bye For Now!

Sorry that you lost your wine card :( , but I'm glad that you're enjoying your 'dam cruise.:)

From one dyed in the wool X-er to another, I agree that HAL is a nice alternative to Celebrity, if the price & itin. are right.

Gail--bummer on the wine card--of ALL the things I would hate to loose too!!!!:D Really sounds like the M-dam is a ship we would also enjoy--you know us & we know you--we have very like tastes & expectations don't we??? Thanks for the great posts!

Thanks for the report.

AHHH -- hate to tell you but the wine cards are the same price no matter whether you buy them on line or on the ship -- we have done it both ways and paid the same price.

HAL signed a contract a couple of years ago -- they will always be docking at Crown Bay -- the majority of us have known that and been there.

Wow, really enjoying your detailed live reports. Do you have a laptop with you? Where do you find the time for the postings? I could barely find the time to post one paragraph when I was on our cruise. My DH and I sailed on the lovely Maasdam this past March and have another booked for this coming January. I can hardly wait as we loved sailing on her. As you say, the food is so delicious and the service is wonderful. Take good care of her and enjoy. I suppose the weather is wonderful where you are (where are you exactly?) as I sit here in Ontario, Canada and look out the window at a grey, and quite cold, windy day.

Tuggers: We've been aboard with you on two Zenith cruises including the finale repo. Now we are going to be getting on the 11/7 Maasdam cruise when you are departing. I've followed your reports before, and now I'm glued to this one. Can the Signature drink cards be used for an Absolut and tonic or a Beefeater and tonic? Also, are both passenger laundries in service aboard? Thanks for your help...Pat

Archived