Solstice Theater Seating :(

MichaelandGeri

I am sooooo disappointed. I just looked at the pics of Solstice and am so disappointed that they are going back to theater type seating. For us larger folks I just loved the bench seating on M class ships because me and hubby fit comfortably instead of being crammed in a seat. I often pass on shows in that situation because it is just too uncomfortable to sit through one. Every other part of the ship looks great, but that is ALMOST a deal killer for me :(

Perhaps they have some considerations for your circumstance? These are early photo's and the ship is not even in service yet.

From what I have read on these boards, and I have not yet even been on cruise yet, they do try their utmost to accommodate all passengers and perhaps even more so on a brand new ship.

I am sooooo disappointed. I just looked at the pics of Solstice and am so disappointed that they are going back to theater type seating. For us larger folks I just loved the bench seating on M class ships because me and hubby fit comfortably instead of being crammed in a seat. I often pass on shows in that situation because it is just too uncomfortable to sit through one. Every other part of the ship looks great, but that is ALMOST a deal killer for me :(

Wow, I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out. That was a BIG flaw when we sailed on the Emerald Princess last year. I'm thin but I'm 6' 3" so I need a little leg room. The theater on the EP was impossible for me to be comfortable in. I hope that is not the case with this theater.

Goodness...so many people are already finding fault with the ship, and not a passenger has yet to step foot upon it.

Karyn, exactly my thoughts. :confused: From the pictures I've seen, she's BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait to sail on her. :D

Garry

I was concerned with the armrest "claws" as drink holders. I can already visualize the snags as people walk by and the spills as glasses get stuck and are pried loose.

Yes...the armrest claw definitely imparts a feel of lecture hall or sporting event. The illuminated cocktail tables of the M class are LEAGUES better. So elegant.

Karyn, exactly my thoughts. :confused: From the pictures I've seen, she's BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait to sail on her. :D

Garry

As in so many things BEAUTIFUL does not necessarily imply practicality.

I always wanted a Corvette but it does not have space for 4 suitcases.;)

When I was on the Explorer last time I noticed that chairs were brought out and placed behind the last row. People who needed a larger space to sit or those not comfortable with all the stairs sat there. I am sure they will have something worked out. Don't let that one issue stop you from trying something new :)

I'm long and lean, and all legs.

I find that there is rarely enough knee room for me in theaters, both ashore and at sea.

I always try for an aisle seat, which does help, and I am careful not to trip others!

We hope that the seats will be comfortable, will wait until we get to try them out before letting it bother us. If the new ships are less than the M class that we loved so much we will just go back to them if they are going where we would like to travel to, if not we may have to try another cruiseline.

Well we will get to know first hand in a few weeks.

As you look at theater. Look at the dinning room as well. Same thing there

Hi,

While I'm remaining VERY positive about the ship, how beautiful it is, and what will hopefully be an overall GRAND experience..., I also noted early on that the main dining room will have armchairs (barrel style armchairs) rather than the banquet style chairs presently in use on Celebrity ships.

I sense that the OP will be concerned about the dining room, too.

CM

Yes I am very concerned about the main dining also. And to those that say I am already complaining I say BITE ME..It is nice that you are so thin and short so you don't have to worry about anything in life, but us large folk do. Small seating is something I worry about all the time when I travel. Will it stop me from trying the beautiful Solstice, maybe not. But walk in my shoes a day...oh wait they will be too wide and big for you, nevermind.

Yes I am very concerned about the main dining also. And to those that say I am already complaining I say BITE ME..It is nice that you are so thin and short so you don't have to worry about anything in life, but us large folk do. Small seating is something I worry about all the time when I travel. Will it stop me from trying the beautiful Solstice, maybe not. But walk in my shoes a day...oh wait they will be too wide and big for you, nevermind.

Gee whiz, you started this thread with a complaint without even being on board the ship or knowing alternatives. What exactly did you expect as responses from others. Many agreed with your assessment and added their own issues and/or resolutions to your statements.

I am new to this board, like you, and find there is a lot of information here to help my cruise experience in many ways and the people who respond extremely helpful and friendly.

I find your "BITE ME" comment uncalled for and very rude, regardless of your size, shape or shoe size.

I apologize if I was "rude" --- I had just woke up. Having said that, the size of chairs (armrests specifically) is a very sore subject with me and I suppose I am a bit defensive. Yes there were many valuable responses, I specifically intended the bite me comment to the people stating I was complaining. This is an open forum and I was stating my concern, my disappointment, free speech. As you can see from other responses, others have the same concerns as I do. Calling it complaining was, in my opinion, rude. I was simply stating my opinion.

Gee whiz, you started this thread with a complaint without even being on board the ship or knowing alternatives. What exactly did you expect as responses from others.

I think a Cruise Critic poster has the right to state an opinion or a concern about a ship whether they have been on board or not. I think that people should not make statements about the poster but rather comment on the superiority of the new design. Posters can praise or condemn the ship but should not attack or ridicule people for having an opinion that differs from their own.

We all base our opinions on past experiences. Changing what we know and love to something different does not automatically make it better just because it's new. Time to bite my tongue.. ;)

Archived