Harbor House and Fisherman's Wharf?

SoonerOne

Galvestonian's:

What is the status of the Harbor House and the restaurants nereby? I love when we drove up to the cruise area to see these wonderful places. We are leaving again in February on the Conquest and I was just wondering if these businesses will be open for business by then, in your opinion?

Thanks in advance!

Donna in OKC

Fisherman's Wharf got some pretty heavy damage, so I'm sure it'll be a while for it to recover.

Harbor House is open, but currently not housing guests because it is helping with the recovery efforts by housing contractors (FEMA I believe).

Fisherman's Wharf got some pretty heavy damage, so I'm sure it'll be a while for it to recover.

Harbor House is open, but currently not housing guests because it is helping with the recovery efforts by housing contractors (FEMA I believe).

I have had reservations for Jan 3, 2009 at Harbor House for our Jan 4 Voyager cruise since last July. I tried to contact HH by phone with no success. I understand that phone service is still sketchy there. I guess I should contact Wyndham to see if my reservations are still good there for Jan 3rd.

Patti

• 2 weeks later...

Good News! My reservations at the Harbor House are confirmed today. I called and talked to an actual person and she said they will be up and running by the time of our cruise. Yay! Oh...just wanted to share in case anyone else is interested that has reservations at the HH.:)

Great news, Donna! Thanks for reporting in. I haven't been down to Galveston since Ike but I had little doubt the cruise terminal area would be back up and running at least by the time Voyager returns in December.

Harbor House is a great place to stay pre-cruise. Request room 302 (top floor corner room facing cruise terminal). Awesome view of ship(s) coming in the morning of your embarkation.

Go have some jumbo fried shrimp at Fisherman's Wharf for me. Yummo! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

If Willie G's is open, I like it a lot better than Fisherman's Wharf which didn't impress me. Plus, Willie G's is right outside the Harbor House.

Either way, I'm happy to hear Harbor House will soon be open again to travellers and plan to stay then when we cruise next October (like we did for our last two cruises). I love that hotel. It just feels right for pre-Cruise. And I love being able to go out back to watch the ship come up the channel.

Yes HH for hotel,

but very little if anything is open around it.

HI is next to San Luis and on Seawall.

Most every thing is open on Seawall and Moody Gardens

Hotel on bay is open along with the Gardens a fun place

educational place(see Web).

The nicer hotels are San Luis, Hilton, Moody Gardens

Galvez, Tremont and Harbor House .

Tremont is downtown and not open.

HH you can watch ships come and go on port.

SL,H,MG,G are open for sure.

HH maybe open soon,

for I have been told.........

it has been housing Mitchell Interests contractors and

related. Im not sure though about HH.

When things open up down there for sure.

Tremont is downtown and not open.

HH you can watch ships come and go on port.

SL,H,MG,G are open for sure.

We are booked for March 28, 2008 at the Tremont -- just booked it last week (on H-wire it was the 3.5 star they were offering for $99).

Any idea if you can see the ships from there, looks like it's about a block off of the water?

We had to be in Galveston for the funeral of a dear friend yesterday. Afterwards, we drove to the Harbor House to see if they would honor our 1/3/09 reservations. There were very few cars in the lot and a uniformed guard standing in front of the office, which was closed. We were told that HH was not open and that no one was there. There was a sign up that said they would be reopening in December 2008. I may try calling the Wyndham number to check.

We then drove by Joe's Crab Shack, Willie G's and Fishermans Warf. All were closed with no indication that we could see from our vehicle as to when they might reopen. We did enjoy lunch at The Original Mexican Cafe, though.

Patti

• 2 weeks later...

I had a message on my answering machine today saying that the Harbor House was calling to confirm my Jan 3rd reservation and for me to call back at (409) 765-7721. I called back after 8 this evening and the lady who answered was at the Galvez. She said that the reservations supervisor for the Tremont had called me and to call back tomorrow morning. I told her that I had seen a sign at the HH saying they were reopening in December '08 and she said that they had hoped to, but that it would be January for HH and at least May for Tremont. I will let you know what I find out when I call back tomorrow.

Patti

I had a message on my answering machine today saying that the Harbor House was calling to confirm my Jan 3rd reservation and for me to call back at (409) 765-7721. I called back after 8 this evening and the lady who answered was at the Galvez. She said that the reservations supervisor for the Tremont had called me and to call back tomorrow morning. I told her that I had seen a sign at the HH saying they were reopening in December '08 and she said that they had hoped to, but that it would be January for HH and at least May for Tremont. I will let you know what I find out when I call back tomorrow.

Patti

Thanks for the update. If you think about it, ask about the status of nearby restaurants when you call (Willie G's & Fisherman's Wharf).

Thanks for the update. If you think about it, ask about the status of nearby restaurants when you call (Willie G's & Fisherman's Wharf).

I just spoke with Joyce the reservations supervisor for Harbor House who did confirm our reservation for one night on Saturday, January 3rd. I asked about the restaurants and she said that Fishermans Warf is scheduled to be open by then.

Patti

I just spoke with Joyce the reservations supervisor for Harbor House who did confirm our reservation for one night on Saturday, January 3rd. I asked about the restaurants and she said that Fishermans Warf is scheduled to be open by then.

Patti

Good news indeed! I've been looking for an excuse to get down to Galveston. Jumbo fried shrimp at Fisherman's Wharf should do the trick. And those yummy fried onion strings with strips of fried jalepenos. YUMMO!! Will try to get down there after the first of the year. :cool:

Enjoy your stay at HH. It is a fabulous place to stay pre-cruise. If you missed my suggestion from earlier in the thread, call back and request room 302. (See my first reply to this thread, post#6).

P.S. Forgot to say have a fantastic cruise too! I see by your sig you've already been on Voyager so no need in my telling you what a great ship she is! ;)

We made a reservation for Jan. 10, precruise at HH. Can't wait Iv'e heard so many great things about it.Where do you think we should eat dinner?
If you've read any of my previous replies to this thread, my suggestion shouldn't shock you. :p ;)

I love Fisherman's Wharf. A previous poster stated she likes Willie G's "a lot better" than Fisherman's Wharf. I've eaten at both and prefer Fisherman's Wharf. Different strokes for different folks.

Both restaurants are very near HH and both are great, IMO. Check out both of their menus and decide for yourself. :)

There also use to be a Joe's Crab Shack in walking distance. Not sure if/when it will reopen. I've heard it sustained much more damage than WG or FW as it was out in the open all alone. I've never been a fan of Joe's but some people love it. Again, that different strokes thing.

P.S. Did you do as I have previously suggested and request room 302 at HH? It's has a fabulous view of cruise ships coming into port.

Archived