The Boatyard

fedexpackage

What is the best way to get back to the ship after visiting the Boatyard? I know there will be cabs at the ship, but am not sure about the other end. Thanks, Linda:)

There are cabs at the Boatyard for the quick trip back to the ship.

It is about a 20 minute walk...you can see the ship frpm the Boatyard. Cab is about $3 per person.

After further study, I think I have determined this is a beach? How far from the ship? I know people have said it is a short cab ride but is it easy to get to walking? We like to walk a mile or two in port so this could all be included!

It's a hike, maybe a mile and half. At the ship terminal beeline to the government tourism office and ask them to draw the route on a map they can provide. Basically you just walk out of the terminal compound, follow the road through downtown and the Boatyard is right at the city's edge.

We spent one perfectly nice day at the Boatyard, but have since also tried Brighton and Accra. We'll return in February and I think we'll head for Brighton. It's totally deserted. There is one restaurant, which rents beach loungers. Public toilet/changing facilities are provided and they are clean.

It goes without saying that Brighton is totally quiet. No music, no speedboats.

As you can see, there are several alternatives, depending on your taste.

It's a hike, maybe a mile and half. At the ship terminal beeline to the government tourism office and ask them to draw the route on a map they can provide. Basically you just walk out of the terminal compound, follow the road through downtown and the Boatyard is right at the city's edge.

We spent one perfectly nice day at the Boatyard, but have since also tried Brighton and Accra. We'll return in February and I think we'll head for Brighton. It's totally deserted. There is one restaurant, which rents beach loungers. Public toilet/changing facilities are provided and they are clean.

It goes without saying that Brighton is totally quiet. No music, no speedboats.

As you can see, there are several alternatives, depending on your taste.

Does anyone have pictures of Brighton Beach? Is it white sand and clear waters?

How much is the price of admittance? I emailed them but they didn't get back to me.

Thanks

I just got back from this cruise. It was $20 pp which included a beach chair, umbrella and one free drink. There is a "free" shuttle back to the ship but when we got there the guy asked for $2 pp, I have no idea why!!

We enjoyed our day there. It was loud music but alot of fun for the two teenagers I had with me! Not a quiet day but not too bad.

How much is the price of admittance? I emailed them but they didn't get back to me.

Thanks

We just returned from our cruise and after checking here for advice on where to go in Barbados, we decided on the Boatyard. Many people said it was $15.00/person...which included ride back to ship/chairs and umbrella. Even at the dock, the taxi drivers were saying $15.00. Once we got there, the lady at entrance asked us if we were from a cruise ship....our mistake was saying yes. All of a sudden it was $20.00/person, and there was no changing her mind.

We were very disapointed with our visit here...yes, beach was nice but that's about it. VERY noisy, and yes you could go further down the beach, but not if you wanted an umbrella, which they ran out of very fast.

If you like VERY LOUD music and a crazy, young crowd...this would be the place for you. Otherwise, skip it.

We were very disapointed with the lack of friendliness amongst the locals and again the upcharge in pricing.

Then...the ride back, what a joke. We stood there waiting at least 15-20 minutes and the driver was right there. What was the hold up?? Who knows. Finally he looks at us and asks us...are you ready to leave? Hello...we'd been standing there waiting, again...so much helpfullness from the lady attendant. What a joke. Then he doesn't even turn on the AC in the van and he was just not friendly at all.

We didn't experience unfriendly natives at any of the other islands.

This was our most disapointing day.......

We love the Boatyard and found the people there wonderful. No problem at all getting the shuttle back to the ship - it was there waiting for us. We are going again in January. To each his own! Thankfully we don't all love the same things - what a mess that would be!

Visitors should know that Boatyard equals loud music and action. We have been there once and had a fine time. The next time we went to Brighton Beach and fell in love with its solitude. In March we went to Accra. In February we'll go back to Brighton. So many choices and none of them is bad.

they do not allow you to bring in any food or drink...you must purchase theirs.

I do agree it was a beautiful beach....just didn't think the upcharge was fair, the unfriendlieness of the proprieter and taxi driver, and then not knowing about the food and drink just added to our disappointment

Again...beautiful beach though

I'd recommend going to Lobster Alive -that is were we went last week. It is right next to Boatyard - 25 yards. It's half the price. $15.00 total gets you 2 chairs, big umbrella and 3 drink coupons.

It doesn't have the music or the water trampoline, climbing wall and rope swing. But we knew we weren't going to use those - so why pay for that.

It's the same beach - but now as many chairs as boatyard - so it was quieter and we didn't feel that we were on top of each other.

If you have kids maybe go to boatyard so they can use the toys -but I would think it would get pretty expensive.

We had to pay the $3pp cab ride back . So it cost us a total of $21 for chairs/umbrella and cab. We also did a jet ski for $40 and spend $5.00 on an order of french fries.

I'd recommend going to Lobster Alive -that is were we went last week. It is right next to Boatyard - 25 yards. It's half the price. $15.00 total gets you 2 chairs, big umbrella and 3 drink coupons.

It doesn't have the music or the water trampoline, climbing wall and rope swing. But we knew we weren't going to use those - so why pay for that.

It's the same beach - but now as many chairs as boatyard - so it was quieter and we didn't feel that we were on top of each other.

If you have kids maybe go to boatyard so they can use the toys -but I would think it would get pretty expensive.

We had to pay the $3pp cab ride back . So it cost us a total of $21 for chairs/umbrella and cab. We also did a jet ski for $40 and spend $5.00 on an order of french fries.

I agree Lobster ALive would have been the way to go for us. It was just right down the way....lots quieter and would have been less expensive as we paid $40.00 a couple + $10.00 to get there a couple and only got two drink coupons, umbrella and two chairs per couple.:(

Anyone know what the charge for either of these beaches are for kids under 10? I'm guessing Lobster Alive sounds like a good place for us (4 kids ages 5-9)?? Or does anyone have any other recommendations? DH and I honeymooned in Barbados so I checked into a day pass there, but it's too much $$ for all of us for such a short time.

I would do Lobster Alive if you had kids and didn't want a lot of chairs for them. It's $5.00 per chair and you get a drink coupon for each rental. So assumming that the kids will probably be in the water most of the time - you could rent 2 chairs/umbrellas for a total of $15.00. The umbrella's are big - so kids could either share lounges with you or sit on their towels in shade under umbrella.

However if you want them to have access to the water trampeline, water climbing rock and rope swing - then you would need to go to Boatyard. Lobster Alive is on the same beach but you aren't allowed access to the water toys unless you are at Boatyard

Anyone know what the charge for either of these beaches are for kids under 10? I'm guessing Lobster Alive sounds like a good place for us (4 kids ages 5-9)?? Or does anyone have any other recommendations? DH and I honeymooned in Barbados so I checked into a day pass there, but it's too much $$ for all of us for such a short time.

Lobster Alive is a restaurant that has chairs and umbrellas for rent. Nothing else except the beautiful sand and water. Boatyard is right next door and has water toys and activities and music. Both of these are on a beach that is about two miles along and is on Carlise Bay. I think the kids would enjoy anywhere on this stretch.

Bear in mind that those Boatyard water toys

are out in water a bit too deep for little kids ages 5-9, okay?

The beach is huuuge, literally 2 miles long

- the kids will have lots of fun without the water toys

which are a bit far out from shore for them,anyway

Archived