I wonder if it will be harder to sneak alchohol on board

TampaJack

One quick question. Why does this rule exist?

Here's Carnival's policy---and reason:

A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests 21 years of age and older only may bring one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

Not illegal at all. Carnival's rules about bringing alcohol onboard is laid out very well in their policy' date=' on the ticket contract and in the documents passengers received.

"A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

[/quote']

This makes no sense as it requires crew on board to monitor and police alcohol consumption which they patently do not do. You've never seen an obviously drunk person being served another drink at a bar on board? I certainly have. The policy is in place to protect the near monopolistic position that the cruise line has when it comes to alcohol revenues.

As far as the original question goes, I doubt if things will change - it costs too much money in manpower and time lost to effectively police booze smuggled on board.

Not illegal at all. Carnival's rules about bringing alcohol onboard is laid out very well in their policy' date=' on the ticket contract and in the documents passengers received.

"A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

[b']Liquor and Beverage Policy

[/b]

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests 21 years of age and older only may bring one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation."

When the rules are known ahead of time, and someone decides to do it anyway, they have no complaint about the consequences.

Okay, your first post quoting Carnival's booze rules is invalid because you were responding to MY post in which I said that the Port Authority has no right to confiscate booze. You replied with a cruise line's policies (and not even the right cruise line - this happens to be the RCI board, gramma, not the Carnival board - have you somehow lost you place?)

In any case, it's clear that (once again) you didn't even bother reading the full post to which you were responding. What I said was that I didn't believe it was legal for the PORT AUTHORITY to take their booze. Many cruise lines have no restrictions whatsoever on bringing one's personal alcohol on board. So, obviously the Port Authority has no right to take our legally-purchased, privately-owned personal belongings from us, do they?

I would ask that before you quote my posts and respond to me in the future, you actually read my posts. It gets tiring always responding to your responses when you aren't even reading my posts, so your responses make no sense. (This, as you and I both know, has happened numerous times in other threads.)

As for your second post quoting the cruise line's policies, once again you quote the wrong cruise line's policies. But besides that, even if that is exactly what RCI stated in its policies, the fact is that I give very little credibility to what the cruise line tells us is the reasoning behind their policy. That is because this stated reason is non-sensical. Cruise lines do not have a history of doing anything whatsoever to discourage overindulgence of alcohol on board their ships.

We all know that the cruise lines make lots of money from alcohol sales. It is quite obvious that it would be in their best financial interest to get MORE booze sales. So, to those of us who actually apply critical thinking to this issue, rather than just blindly accepting what a large corporation tells us, it's clear that the strongest motivation for the booze rules is to increase profits.

Large corporations are generally not known for having altruistic motives in anything they do. And they are not known for always telling the truth to the public about their motivations. Do you really believe the tobacco companies when they say the don't want to encourage underage smoking? Yeah, they all say that on their websites - but then they advertise at sporting events attended by young people, and they run ad campaigns that are ostensibly to curb smoking by youths, but in reality are appealing to teens.

But hey, if you prefer to believe all the pablum that large corporations feed you, then go right ahead. I prefer to make my own judgments based on evidence and critical thinking.

It may be a quick question - but unfortunately, there is no quick answer. That's because none of us here work for the cruise line, and can say for sure what their reasoning is behind the rule. We can only speculate.

MY theory is that it is a purely profit-motivated rule. They disallow bringing booze onboard in order to force passengers who wish to imbibe, to buy it from them. Alcohol is one of their biggest profit-generators, so they will do anything they can to increase sales. The booze rules are an attempt to enact a self-serving monopoly on the sale of alcohol.

Others theorize that it is due to previous problems with over-consumption, or due to insurance. I believe that neither of these are valid. One, if someone wants to get drunk, they will find a way. Anyone can order drinks for their room, or they can move from bar to bar. Second, given that most cruise lines allow SOME alcohol to be brought onboard, and any have NO restrictions whatsoever, I do not see how it can be an insurance issue.

I'm sure you will hear theories from others.

I don't think the point is that the cruise lines actually care about limiting over-consumption. It has to do with giving the appearance of trying to limit over-consumption. And that is a legal consideration. Working in healthcare, I am all too aware of this process. Much that is done in the medical field today is done for the insurance companies rather that for the patient's needs.

As to RCI having different policies that other cruise lines, you have to put that in context with the recent episodes that have occurred on RCI ships. Their liability is greater because people can show a pattern of negligence with repeated adverse outcomes. RCI has to be able to show that they are doing their part to prevent these outcomes. Can make all the difference when payout for a lawsuit is determined.....

And if, in this process, they can increase alcohol revenue - well, all the better...... ;)

I don't think the point is that the cruise lines actually care about limiting over-consumption. It has to do with giving the appearance of trying to limit over-consumption. And that is a legal consideration. Working in healthcare, I am all too aware of this process. Much that is done in the medical field today is done for the insurance companies rather that for the patient's needs.

As to RCI having different policies that other cruise lines, you have to put that in context with the recent episodes that have occurred on RCI ships. Their liability is greater because people can show a pattern of negligence with repeated adverse outcomes. RCI has to be able to show that they are doing their part to prevent these outcomes. Can make all the difference when payout for a lawsuit is determined.....

And if, in this process, they can increase alcohol revenue - well, all the better...... ;)

I do believe there is validity to what you say. I agree with you that, by having these policies clearly stated, the cruise lines have the ability to protect themselves against lawsuits. If they were to be sued by a passenger who overindulged, for not limiting his/her overindulgence, they would be able to absolve themselves of blame by showing that they make an effort as a corporation to limit availability of alcohol.

And I agree that some of RCI's past episodes with negligent and irresponsible passengers would increase their interest in protecting themselves from liability, and probably is the reason behind their total ban, as opposed to virtually every other cruise line, all of which allow at least some personal alcohol.

I still believe, however, that the greater motivation for them is to increase profits. And I also believe that these policies are more about show-and-tell for potential lawsuits, then they are an altruistic desire to protect people from themselves, or others.

So basically, what I'm saying is, I agree with you. :) Doesn't change my belief as to the primary motivation behind these rules - but I'm sure it's a factor.

TRAVEL AGENT ADVISORY

ALCOHOL POLICY

22 OCTOBER, 2008

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other

use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will

be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.)

and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies,

(over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible

behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or

any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in

accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have

alcohol returned to them.

Please Note: All guests must comply with Transport Security Administration guidelines for

transporting liquids.

For more information please contact Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd:

1300 659 021

e-mail: cruiseres@discovertheworld.com.au

For updates visit: www.discovertheworld.com.au

I'm sure there is a direct correlation between revenue generated from beverage sales and cruise fares. If the revenue goes down, the fares go up. Accordingly, if the revenue goes up, the fares will go down. They will generate the revenue one way or another. Perhaps, if they are cracking down on smuggling, it is because they anticipate the need to reduce fares in this declining economy.

Because people choose to drink the products of their choice. The cruise line can't accomodate every beverage that the passengers drink ( Pepsi, Fanta, Dasani, Aquafina, Diet drinks, low soudium drinks) Does everyone drink Coke products?

I bring potato chips and nuts because they can be found no where on the ship. And we still have a large bar and on board purchases bill at the end of the cruise.

Do you say the same about hotels?

Say what about hotels? I have yet to stay at a hotel that says you can bring your own wine or liquor to your room. Your statement does not make sense because there are people on board who drink wines/beers/liquor that the cruise line does not carry.

And what does chips and nuts have to do with it?

Say what about hotels? I have yet to stay at a hotel that says you can bring your own wine or liquor to your room. Your statement does not make sense because there are people on board who drink wines/beers/liquor that the cruise line does not carry.

And what does chips and nuts have to do with it?

I'm sorry, but I'm a bit confused by your post. Can you clarify?

You say you have yet to stay at a hotel that says you can bring your own wine or liquor to your room. The truth is, I've never stayed at a hotel that DOESN'T allow me to bring whatever legal beverage I want to consume in my own room! I have stayed at an untold number of hotels, and have openly brought my own booze into most of them, without a hitch.

You also point out that there are people on board who drink wines/beers/liquor that the cruise line does not carry. That is correct - and that's one of the primary reasons people like me smuggle: so we can drink what we prefer.

So...can you clarify your point? I'm confused, because your first point would seem to be against booze smuggling, whereas you second would seem to be in favor of it.

I'm sorry, but I'm a bit confused by your post. Can you clarify?

You say you have yet to stay at a hotel that says you can bring your own wine or liquor to your room. The truth is, I've never stayed at a hotel that DOESN'T allow me to bring whatever legal beverage I want to consume in my own room! I have stayed at an untold number of hotels, and have openly brought my own booze into most of them, without a hitch.

You also point out that there are people on board who drink wines/beers/liquor that the cruise line does not carry. That is correct - and that's one of the primary reasons people like me smuggle: so we can drink what we prefer.

So...can you clarify your point? I'm confused, because your first point would seem to be against booze smuggling, whereas you second would seem to be in favor of it.

Ah, yeah, I left out the " 't ". I guess that's a real good typo, or lack of typo. Thanks for catching that. I'm on your side.

LeeAnne, Our cruise on the Mariner was about three years ago when they really started to crack down. That was about the time they had one incident after another with alcohol involved.

What was even worse was that Guest Relations denied that bar personnel would go thru our things and said that it was the cabin steward that turned in the alcohol. Obviously not, we had a great realationship with him and are smart enough to know that they are not going to jepodize their tip. I have to admit, I know how hard they work but I wouldn't tip someone who went thru our things and turned us in. On the otherhand, I would never put a cabin steward in that position, which is why we always put our bottle and glasses away. Mind you, this is while they were being very strict.

I did tell the cabin steward what Guest Relations said and he was outraged and went straight to his boss.

The whole thing did give me a really bad feeling at the time and we were on that ship for 3 weeks.

Time passes and RCL had some great deals so all was forgotten. :)

I still wouldn't leave liquor out though. You can always request lots of ice for the cabin without explaining why you need it. We always ask for two ice buckets for the evening turndown. We also take our first drinks down to the cabin and that gives us our glasses.

For the poster who said that cabin stewards even clean bar glasses for them, I guess she missed the expose' that showed hotel housekeeping literally using the used wash cloths. :eek:

For the poster who said that cabin stewards even clean bar glasses for them, I guess she missed the expose' that showed hotel housekeeping literally using the used wash cloths. :eek:

I remember that expose! I recall the video in which you saw the cleaning lady actually take a used washcloth, use that to wipe down the dirty glasses in the bathroom - and then place them back on the counter as if they were clean. YUCK!

Anyway, I fully agree with you that it's just good form to not leave your smuggled booze out in the open. While I disagree with RCI's booze rules, I understand that they exist, and it's not really fair to put your room attendant in a difficult position.

As far as I'm concerned, nobody - not the room attendant, not bar personnel, not anyone - has a right to go hunting through my personal belongings for things that are not out in the open. That's just SO not acceptable. But I'm glad that you got past that incident and have been able to enjoy your cruises.

Thank you LeeAnne, Finally someone got it.

We are adults and totally capable of having a predinner drink without supervision. By the time the cabin service arrives, those drinks have been sitting on the bar for a time, then they travel throughout the ship, mostly in the carribean humidity, they are watered down. They arrive when one or the other is in the shower, we are not dressed because we are trying to get ready for dinner in a room that is a tenth of the size of our bedroom at home and obviously, one of us has to grab a tip to hand out. Which is why we like to bring something on board.

Thanks LeeAnne for the outlet. :D

....Accordingly, if the revenue goes up, the fares will go down......

You are kidding, right? :rolleyes: The only time fares go down is when demand is down and they have to lower the fares to fill the ships. When revenue goes up, company dividends and CEO bonuses go up. Fares do not go down as a "thank you" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: for spending lots of $$$ on board!!!

You are kidding, right? :rolleyes: The only time fares go down is when demand is down and they have to lower the fares to fill the ships. When revenue goes up, company dividends and CEO bonuses go up. Fares do not go down as a "thank you" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: for spending lots of $$$ on board!!!

Yes, I think you are right - what was I thinking? In rethinking, it only makes sense for the fares only go down in response to the demand (Econ 101??). When the demand decreases the fares could go down. However, I do think the cruise lines will make sure they are getting the revenue they expect. And I do think that if everyone smuggled alcohol on board it could create a fare increase to make up for the loss of revenue. However, since I don't know of anyone personally (other than these boards) that actually smuggles, I find it hard to believe that the smugglers are actually affecting the bottom line. The point I was attempting to make was that if, in fact, it got to the point where alcohol sales dropped dramatically, it could result in a fare increase to make up for the loss of revenue.

I would be curious to know what percentage of the bottom line results from alcohol sales.

There wouldn't ever be a way to tell. Take now for instance - they might find there is less revenue overall - booze, specialty restaurants, spa, excursions - due to the economy.

The point I was attempting to make was that if, in fact, it got to the point where alcohol sales dropped dramatically, it could result in a fare increase to make up for the loss of revenue.

There wouldn't ever be a way to tell. Take now for instance - they might find there is less revenue overall - booze, specialty restaurants, spa, excursions - due to the economy.

The point I was attempting to make was that if, in fact, it got to the point where alcohol sales dropped dramatically, it could result in a fare increase to make up for the loss of revenue.

I agree - good point. Too many factors at play. Last cruise we were in a junior suite. In Feb we are in a balcony and if the price drops again, we'll go to a guarantee balcony. We just aren't as willing to part with money right now. They can enforce the alcohol policy (however doubtful) but there isn't a whole lot they can do in the other areas other than reduce prices. The problem is, even if they are more strict with smugglers, there is no guarantee that they will purchase more alcohol on board. They may simply do without...and be annoyed about it.

The flaw in your statement above is that we are not "taking revenue away from the cruise line. We are bringing onboard our legal, personal belongings that we bought elsewhere. They are not entitled to the money we spent on our legally purchased beverages. They didn't own them...someone else did, and we chose to make our purchase there, rather than on the ship.

If you are concerned that we might end up spending less on board than we would have if we didn't bring our own - that may be true. But then, that's also true for anyone who does ANYTHING to save money on their cruise - whether its booking private excursions rather than the ship-sponsored ones, or not buying their overpriced photographs, or even bringing our own toothpaste rather than buying their marked-up toothpaste from the gift shop.

The bottom line is, the cruise line is not entitled to any of our money, beyond the cruise fare. Consequently, we are not taking anything away from them. They didn't have a right to our drink dollars anyway. We are 100% entitled to choose NOT to spend our money on their alcoholic beverages, if we don't want to.

You are correct that we are free to take our cruise business elsewhere. But why should we? We like their product in most other respects. The aspects we don't like, we do what we can to deal with, to enhance our vacation experience. Some things we can't do anything about - like the fact that their food has gone downhill lately. Other things we CAN do something about - like the fact that they don't carry the alcoholic beverages we wish to drink. So we bring our own, being careful to avoid detection so they won't take it away. Simple as that. :)

Then I guess I should bring my 9MM, since it is my personal property and ignore the rules. Hec I might have to protect myself from some yahoo who brings his own liquor and gets too loaded, he or she just might break into my cabin and harm me..

Sorry your excuse doesn't cut it. There are numerous items the cruise line prohibits one bring on board and bringing your own alcohol to consume aboard the ship(whether you call it your personal property or not) is one of them, whether you like it or not.

Then I guess I should bring my 9MM, since it is my personal property and ignore the rules. Hec I might have to protect myself from some yahoo who brings his own liquor and gets too loaded, he or she just might break into my cabin and harm me..

Sorry your excuse doesn't cut it. There are numerous items the cruise line prohibits one bring on board and bringing your own alcohol to consume aboard the ship(whether you call it your personal property or not) is one of them, whether you like it or not.

I had to check your state of residence to see if you lived in Texas! (I do) Very good point. Although there probably is a "law" that forbids bringing firearms onto a cruise ship. I'm sure someone will weigh in shortly.

I don't smuggle, nor do I plan to, to but I have to admit that I am enjoying the debate.

I had to check your state of residence to see if you lived in Texas! (I do) Very good point. Although there probably is a "law" that forbids bringing firearms onto a cruise ship. I'm sure someone will weigh in shortly.

I don't smuggle, nor do I plan to, to but I have to admit that I am enjoying the debate.

Actually FL is probably more at ease than TX, on the gun laws. We can actually carry here, w/ a concealed permit, and quite a few folks have em.

We can actually shoot someone if we feel threatened. Firearms are actually prohibited on the ships, as are almost any other weapons, as well as bringing alcohol for personal consumption. I just had to sneak it in since now they want to call liquor smuggling, bringing their own personal property. How absurd.

I am not really against whatever someone wants to do, the stupid thing is trying to justify it with all the lame excuses, like that makes it right, so people won't look down at them. I usually don't chime in on the smuggling threads, until the idiotic excuses come out.

Okay, your first post quoting Carnival's booze rules is invalid because you were responding to MY post in which I said that the Port Authority has no right to confiscate booze. You replied with a cruise line's policies (and not even the right cruise line - this happens to be the RCI board, gramma, not the Carnival board - have you somehow lost you place?)

I would ask that before you quote my posts and respond to me in the future, you actually read my posts. It gets tiring always responding to your responses when you aren't even reading my posts, so your responses make no sense. (This, as you and I both know, has happened numerous times in other threads.)

Don't let her bother you, she's apparently nasty everywhere she posts.. CCL and RCI alike.. :rolleyes:

Thumbs up to you for taking it like a champ, me personally, I just get really irritated :)

Archived