Draught beer on cruises?D

BoPippy

I don't know if the current P&O ships have draft beer or not, but way back when, they most certainly did.

Oriana in 64 and 70, when I was on her, had several different English and Australian beers (ales or lagers?) on tap.

A few cruise ships do carry draught beer.

Several Princess ships serve Stella Artois draught.

The draught beer serving equipment and barrels are different in America than in the rest of the world. The fittings, racks, and refrigerators do not match up.

The ships are built in Europe and Asia - with European draught beer fittings.

Almost all barrel beer sold in America (even imported) is designed to fit the American fittings.

This problem could possibly be overcome.

But the bizarre alcohol tax laws in America make draught beer (purchased only through the required Duty Free suppliers and passed through bonded warehouses) so expensive that they generally cannot possibly afford to serve it on ships.

Unfortunately, the large cruise line corporations are very fond of maintaining the consistent corporate products and images. Even when their ships are in Europe and Asia, where draught beer is affordable - and the barrels fit - they still do not generally carry them.

Didn't see any draft beer on the Crown.

The thing that did surprise me is that a bucket of beer on the ship is roughly $20.00 for 5.

Becks, Dos Equis, Coors, etc... are served in 12 ounce bottles, however for the same price you can get 5 Bud/Bud Lights, but they are in the 16 ounce aluminum bottles.

I have sailed on quite a few of the Princess ships and unlike the other posters have seen and drank draft beer on all the Princess ships. However it is not located at every bar. For example, on the Caribbean Princess they serve Stella draft in the cigar bar but not in Crooners. For those that didn't see draft beer they simply didn't look in the right spots! Bottle wise you will also find Miller Lite, Becks, Grolsch, and on some ships Guinness. Start your first day out with a bar tour and you will find draft beer!!!

The Aussie P&O ships..Pacific Sun and Pacific Dawn(ex Regal Princess) as well as Sun Princess in Australia ALL have draught beer. On Sun Princess last June/July we had two beers 'on tap' (draught) they were Victoria Bitter and Carlton Draught, plus several other Aussies beers, Crown Lager and Hahn Premiium all between AU$ 4 to 5.

Carnival is selling heaps of beer on its P&O Australia and Sun Princess vessels. Dawn Princess is here soon as well, probably put draught beer on it as well. I much prefer draught beer, call it tap beer of keg beer if you like to the bottles/cans.

We just got off the Caribbean Princess, and two bars on the Pool Deck had Stella Artois on tap. I forget thename of the bars. One is the bar situated between the Pizza and burger stations, and the other is at the other end under the MUTS screen, I believe. Unfortunately, I didn't discover them until the second to the last day.

Archived