Holidays in Hawaii

ussanchorage

I will be on my cruise and in Kona Hawaii on Thanksgiving Day. Will the stores

shops, rental equipment all be open?

I'd be interested knowing the same regarding New Years Day. I know the sites around Pearl Harbor will be closed, but what about the other sites? I'm assuming Diamond Head will be closed also. Should we make it our beach day or our North Shore day?

OH, my!! I'm on the spot now. We do a "family thing" at the beach on Thanksgiving so I honestly have no clue what might be open. I think some stores are open at least a half a day.

That said, if the cruise ship is in town, I bet they have plenty for you to do. *smile*

Emi

:) Emi,

Jumping in here because we are staying at the Kona Hawaiian Village for a week which includes Turkey day....(just returned from Galaxy B2B, Baltimore to Galveston and was in vacation withdrawal so found this deal on sky auction site :cool: ) sounds like lots to do in Kona....

My parents used to have a place on Alii Drive at Keahou Beach (sp?) That was many years ago. We have not been back since 1969. Can't wait to see how it must have grown....Would you know if the old Kona Inn is still there? Serving their yummy open air buffets?? :)

Ginny and Alan

Hope this is right....we leave for Oahu on Nov. 22nd to spend 9 days with our military daughter who is stationed there. So....I looked....poked around...seems most everything tourist wise is closed....however...diamond head is open and the sea life park. We will be doing drive arounds, etc. so maybe that day. Restaurants are open. Not sure about stores. Yep we will be doing Sea Life Park...Diamond Head....and maybe pool/beach time.

Lou

Too bad Sea life park is open NEXT week for free for Military and their families and deep discounted for guests. You will miss it by a day!

For others not interested in Diamond Head or Sea Life Park: I would just cram in what you can and call it a beach day....probably what we will do on Thanksgiving ourselves.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Ginny and Allen.. See you guys are still racking up the cruise list.. Great. Next for us is Feb., on the Carnival "Spirit" with family and Grand Kids. Hawaii next time. Merry Christmas.. John and Jan

Well...too late now to help with any Thanksgiving questions, but I did see 2 ships in the harbor while we were having our traditional beach Thanksgiving get-together. Safeway was open but in the afternoon, Wal-Mart was closed. I heard K-Mart was open I think. I am wondering if Wal-Mart was closed due to getting ready to open in the wee hours of the morning for the "busiest shopping day of the year" sales, if so - I bet they'll be open on New Year's Eve and maybe even New Year's Day for a while.

Ginny: Hope you are having a great time! I was gone on vacation myself - so I just am seeing your message. Aloha!

Emi

Kmart was open...I went out. Foodland was open too (at least the one attached to the Kmart)

I saw the Infinity in port on Thanksgiving day (we went out to the Dole Cannery to see The Polar Express) and I thought, "I hope those people at least get to have one more day in Honolulu...what a crummy day to be in port here!"

The Arizona was closed and probably most sites.

I heard people got in line at Toys R Us at 10pm Thanksgiving night for the 5 am opening. Sick. I did everything online.

Archived