The weekly "formal dress question" thread:

x-press

[quote name='garigoun']Ello, Ello, Ello, what hapened to the 'Dress Code Not Enforced' Thread. Did someone say something nasty to someone?
Gari[/quote]

I must have missed whatever the problem was.... I was scrolling through and reading a very well written explanation to the newbie written by Mike (SeaMatesNYC) for which I tried to post and compliment him on, then the thread went POOF!

Anyway, it was a very nice post Michael... I could not have said it better myself and now it is lost :(

[quote name='vjmatty']I must have missed whatever the problem was.... I was scrolling through and reading a very well written explanation to the newbie written by Mike (SeaMatesNYC) for which I tried to post and compliment him on, then the thread went POOF!

Anyway, it was a very nice post Michael... I could not have said it better myself and now it is lost :([/quote]

Thank you for your kind words, Ginny. I hope SwiftCruiser had a chance to read my reply, as I felt bad that he/she had taken such a negative initial view of some of the remarks on the board. But really, when someone in their initial post to CC calls someone a "pompous git" for pointing out that manners dictate removal of a gentleman's hat indoors, they really are setting themselves up for correction, gentle or otherwise!

It was a pleasure finally meeting you in NYC and I hope you guys had a great trip!

Michael

[quote name='SeaMatesNYC']Thank you for your kind words, Ginny. I hope SwiftCruiser had a chance to read my reply, as I felt bad that he/she had taken such a negative initial view of some of the remarks on the board. But really, when someone in their initial post to CC calls someone a "pompous git" for pointing out that manners dictate removal of a gentleman's hat indoors, they really are setting themselves up for correction, gentle or otherwise!

It was a pleasure finally meeting you in NYC and I hope you guys had a great trip!

Michael[/quote]

Hi SeaMatesNYC

Yes thanks I did get chance to read your reply and had responded myself but obviously that has now gone.

Thanks for your comments and I appreciate that the post that had led to some of the comments had been agressive and so would then cause some backlash comments as a result. I agree with most of your comments but still had issues with the original poster of the thread making assumptions when he maybe did not know all the facts, I do agree with the dress code but there may always be a need for exceptions in some circumstances - it's just a little offputting seeing so many negative comments when you are new - but I don't want to get into all that again and cause any more problems.

Anyway, suffice to say I appreciate all your comments and am sorry if I seemed to jump to conclusions too hastily. I probably came accross as having taken a more negative view to the boards than I actually have - so am not deterred from posting or using the boards and am looking forward to next August - don't worry we do adhere to the dress code as it's a part of the cruise we really enjoy (it's not often you get the chance to get as dressed up as on a formal night :) ) and I agree it looks wonderful when most take part - but to be honest it doesn't bother me really if others don't (sorry)

Thanks all
Nyree :)

[quote name='SwiftCruiser']Hi SeaMatesNYC

Yes thanks I did get chance to read your reply and had responded myself but obviously that has now gone.

Thanks for your comments and I appreciate that the post that had led to some of the comments had been agressive and so would then cause some backlash comments as a result. I agree with most of your comments but still had issues with the original poster of the thread making assumptions when he maybe did not know all the facts, I do agree with the dress code but there may always be a need for exceptions in some circumstances - it's just a little offputting seeing so many negative comments when you are new - but I don't want to get into all that again and cause any more problems.

Anyway, suffice to say I appreciate all your comments and am sorry if I seemed to jump to conclusions too hastily. I probably came accross as having taken a more negative view to the boards than I actually have - so am not deterred from posting or using the boards and am looking forward to next August - don't worry we do adhere to the dress code as it's a part of the cruise we really enjoy (it's not often you get the chance to get as dressed up as on a formal night :) ) and I agree it looks wonderful when most take part - but to be honest it doesn't bother me really if others don't (sorry)

Thanks all
Nyree :)[/quote]

Nyree:

Whew! I thought we had lost you forever! Here's the thing. You will find very strong opinions here. Some well-founded. Some not so. You probably know your way around cyberspace so it will not be news to you that things are sometimes said that might not otherwise be. Please do participate as much or as little as you wish. And remember, at the end of the day, the voyage is the main thing!

(P.S., it DOES bother me momentarily to see someone who appears to be deliberately thumbing his/her nose at the requested dress. But it does not ruin my evening. I am glad you find "dressing" a la Cunard enjoyable. It's one of my favorite parts of any voyage on any line.)

Michael

In all the to-ing and fro-ing and hoo-ing and hah-ing about dress standards we have had, there has not been a single mention of socks.
Is this simply an oversight or a grand conspiracy against the sockmakers of the world? Is it too humble a piece of apparel to be mentioned on the high and mighty Cunard board?
Sockophiles of the world unite.
And another thing, I saw a man who had his evening pumps laced up criss-cross fashion instead of the [B][I][U]CORRECT[/U][/I][/B] straight across method.
Standards have reached rock bottom. I may defect to DCL.
Gari

[quote name='garigoun']In all the to-ing and fro-ing and hoo-ing and hah-ing about dress standards we have had, there has not been a single mention of socks.
Is this simply an oversight or a grand conspiracy against the sockmakers of the world? Is it too humble a piece of apparel to be mentioned on the high and mighty Cunard board?
And another thing, I saw a man who had his evening pumps laced up criss-cross fashion instead of the [B][I][U]CORRECT[/U][/I][/B] straight across method.
Gari[/quote]

Well, Grizzly, what kind of socks do you wear--on a formal night, is that what we are talking about?

[quote name='garigoun']In all the to-ing and fro-ing and hoo-ing and hah-ing about dress standards we have had, there has not been a single mention of socks.
Gari[/quote]

Socks??? Wear them.;)

[quote name='Cruachan']I've got two pairs of socks!

Is there a problem?

J[/quote]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]From the somewhat flippant and facetious replies to my earlier post it is painfully obvious that, in spite of the professed concern with falling standards on Cunard, none of you have given any consideration to this important and puzzling aspect of gentlemen’s formal, lower leg wear.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Although it may be thought that the Ladies ( Gawd Bless ‘Em) have the harder task when choosing what to wear it is in fact the male who is placed on the horns of the formal dilemma. Whereas the female only has to fling on something tarty and sparkly, round it off with a few diamonds (which go with absolutely everything my dear) in the form of earrings, necklace etc., slip on a pair of ridiculous shoes and Hey Ho![/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]she is the belle of the ball, consider the plight of the male. Even if we remain firmly in the classic mode of monochrome and do not dally with the evil temptations of COLOUR, (are you listening pnhnak?) or venture into the netherworld of PATTERN (are you there gometro?) even so there is a multitudinous selection to be entertained.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]CONSIDER: -[/SIZE][/FONT]
[LIST]
[*][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Dinner Jacket Black / white/ivory/cream. 2 choices[/SIZE][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Shirt Black / White 2 choices[/SIZE][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Shirt Pleat front / Marcell front 2 choices[/SIZE][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Collar Turn down / wing 2 choices[/SIZE][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Tie Black / White / Self tie / Pre tied 4 choices[/SIZE][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Cummerbund or vest 2 choices[/SIZE][/FONT]
[*][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Vest Black or White 2 choices[/SIZE][/FONT]
[*][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Vest Button up or Scoop front 2 choices [/FONT][/SIZE][/LIST]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]And there you have it, you may permutate any 4 or even 5 from this list. As I am a bear of little brain I will leave it to some cleverclogs to work out the exact number of combinations. So the choice of socks assumes an importance belied by its humble task. I must confess that 4 or 5 years ago in the callowness of my youth I flirted with socks with clocks until it was pointed out to me that it was a filthy foreign habit which most likely originated in the colonies. Naturally I gave them up immediately. My ultimate choice depends on [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3](a)[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Which combination of the above I have decided upon.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3](b)[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Whether I can find two the same in the same drawer. (it’s unlucky to look in more than one drawer per night for socks)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3](c)[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]How much of my pre-prandial Martininini has been consumed.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]There are several other factors to be taken into account but as these are of an ‘Advanced’ nature I do not propose to elucidate here.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I hope that clears up this delicate matter once and for all.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Gari[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='garigoun'][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]So the choice of socks assumes an importance belied by its humble task. [/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

OK - as you seem so obsessed with socks, I'm going to raise my game a little. Before the next cruise I'm going to up the ante and go for three pairs. One pair on my feet, one pair in the wash, and one pair on the washing line.

J

[quote name='SeaMatesNYC']Assuming we are talking with formal - Black wool socks without grain or pattern; garters. What's the complication?[/quote]

[SIZE=4]WOOL![/SIZE] [SIZE=5]WOOL![/SIZE] [SIZE=7]WOOL![/SIZE] What the devil is the matter with you man, have you never heard of silk?
Gari.

[quote name='garigoun'][SIZE=4]WOOL![/SIZE] [SIZE=5]WOOL![/SIZE] [SIZE=7]WOOL![/SIZE] What the devil is the matter with you man, have you never heard of silk?
Gari.[/quote]

Silk socks? Hmm, have never considered the idea. I may have to look into that. Do they breathe? Would think they might be a tad on the moist side if one tends to overheat like I do. Is this serious, or are you pulling my leg, Gari?

Michael

[quote name='SeaMatesNYC']Silk socks? Hmm, have never considered the idea. I may have to look into that. Do they breathe? Would think they might be a tad on the moist side if one tends to overheat like I do. Is this serious, or are you pulling my leg, Gari?

Michael[/quote]

Michael,

some examples here:

[url]http://www.woodsofshropshire.co.uk/shop/mens-socks/socks/silk-socks[/url]

Now really - would Gari pull your leg? ;)

J

[quote name='Cruachan']Michael,

some examples here:

[URL]http://www.woodsofshropshire.co.uk/shop/mens-socks/socks/silk-socks[/URL]

Now really - would Gari pull your leg? ;)

J[/quote]

My goodness, I went to a four hour football game, went shopping, came home, put a Smilebox together, and you guys haven't sorted out what kind of socks to wear. I think you all need some help--with picking out socks, I mean!!!:D

[quote name='The Real PM']My goodness, I went to a four hour football game, went shopping, came home, put a Smilebox together, and you guys haven't sorted out what kind of socks to wear. I think you all need some help--with picking out socks, I mean!!!:D[/quote]

As long as the left one's more or less the same as the right one, that's all I ask for.

J

[quote name='Cruachan']As long as the left one's more or less the same as the right one, that's all I ask for.

J[/quote]

Jimmy,

Brian says to tell you that you are quite correct! I however, beg to differ!

And as you know, us gals are always right!! ;)

Jackie :)

[quote name='YorksLady']And as you know, us gals are always right!! ;) [/quote]

Jackie,

I would certainly [B]never[/B] take issue with that contention :)

Are you far from York? It sounds like a replay of the Battle of Alamein outside my window at the moment, and there's still four days to go till the 5th.

J

[quote name='Cruachan']Jackie,

I would certainly [B]never[/B] take issue with that contention :)

Are you far from York? It sounds like a replay of the Battle of Alamein outside my window at the moment, and there's still four days to go till the 5th.

J[/quote]

What happens on the fifth?

Archived