Best Of San Diego 2008 Reader Poll

neecee23

Unfortunately, the "Best of" does not always mean that or does it cover some very good ones. Invariably the ones that get picked as "Best of" are those that consistenly advertise in our rapidly dying newspaper. The SD Union-Tribune is suffering the same fate as so many others - lack of readers and advertizers. But I agree that the listing is a good place to start for cruisers not familiar with "America's Favorite City":)

I agree. I rarely agree with the list that comes out annually from either the San Diego Reader or the San Diego Union-Tribune. Many people vote for places they have heard of without actually going there or vote for places that used to be good but now have run down hill. For restaurants, I would recommend checking either on Yelp! or the Zagat guide instead.

(KLD)

Well...Good to see under "Best Local Club for Live Music" at #2--Anthology...

Nope, I haven't been there yet...but next month, my brother has the place rented out for his 50th Birthday bash...So...I'm hoping we enjoy it...

We reserved a room next door at the Best Western Bayside Inn, so no driving home late after the party...

I haven't stayed in many hotels in the San Diego area of late, so it's also an opportunity to check out a local hotel...

Should be a great weekend...

Unfortunately, the "Best of" does not always mean that or does it cover some very good ones. Invariably the ones that get picked as "Best of" are those that consistenly advertise in our rapidly dying newspaper...

I thought is was by vote of readers. In any event some of the choices are a bit odd

Mexican #4 - Roberto's

Steak #7 - Outback

Chinese #1 - PF Chang's

Three perfect examples of how bogus this "reader's poll" is!! It is certainly not done with any scientific rigor and appears to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Sad that boring chains win out over some of our excellent restaurants in each of these categories.

Problem is you've got a city of nearly 3 million people...If you've got a really great mom & pop restaurant, the only folks who know about it are those in the neighborhood...but EVERYBODY's heard of PF Chang's...or Outback...

...and most people's tast really isn't that good...

A lot of folks think McDonalds makes a good hamburger...or that Pizza Hut or Domino's is great pizza...

You could do a public survey on "Best Cruise Line" and I'd bet Carnival would get more votes than Regent...It's a popularity contest, not a realistic critique...

some interesting choices but overall there are so many great placesin SD that there is something for everyone. For a one day pre or post cruise trip some of these are outside of the direct SD area...Bernardo's, the 3rd rated french restaurant is 30 plus minutes north of downtown, and while good is not worth the drive compared to what you can find closer to SD

...If you've got a really great mom & pop restaurant, the only folks who know about it are those in the neighborhood...

Agreed! I was actually surprised to see a couple of places in my neighborhood make it onto the list including our oldest continuously operating restaurant, Tony's Jacal. You only get to sign their "regular customer" list if you having been customer for more than 40 years.

Archived