Second Carnival Ship Flunks CDC Inspection .... FANTASY

eroller

FANTASY received a score of 83 (out of 100) on it's most recent CDC inspection. An 86 is required to pass. I'm not sure what is going on at Carnival as CARNIVAL PRIDE failed it's inspection not to long ago. It has since redeemed itself with a perfect score of 100.

One of the more disturbing items on FANTASY's CDC report was "numerous roaches were observed ... the roaches were in various stages of development." Of course there were plenty of other items as well.

In general Carnival has an excellent CDC inspection record for all it's ships. I'm not sure why two ships have failed in a matter of months?

Come on Carnival .... get your act together!!

Ernie

Actually, if you look through the CDC history, this doesn't just happen on Carnival, although it is unfortunate that it DOES happen anywhere... Over the years, the Dawn Princess has failed, Noordam (failed twice) and Norway (failed at least three times), Majesty of the Seas, Windjammer Cruises and Crystal have also had failing scores in the past... as well as Carnival. We should all be glad that the CDC does take this seriously and does do quick reinspections... I'm sure they are all over this one and will correct all of the problems promptly... let's hope!

If I counted correctly there are currently 18 active ships in the Carnival fleet (not counting Liberty, Valor or Miracle). Of those only 10 have never fallen below the satisfactory score of 86, most of the rest only have one non-satisfactory ranking. The worst was the Jubilee with 5 below rankings since 1996. Celebration and Fantasy are tied at 3 each - Celebration since 93 and Fantasy since 84. Pretty good considering that most ships are checked twice a year - more if they are failing or close.

Regardless of how many times the ships in the Carnival fleet have failed or passed there is no excuse for the CDC having to find those roaches. Just a bad attempt by the crew and officers to do their jobs properly. Lack of follow through and poor training IMHO.

I agree Gordon. People like to make excuses and suggest rationalizations to make it "ok", but it's not. Carnival has been in business long enough to know EXACTLY what is expected of these CDC inspections. If a ship fails, it's because the crew onboard has somehow dropped the ball and is not performing up to standards. These days it's more common to see a ship score 100% then fail.

Ernie

It's certainly NOT okay... and as I said, I sure hope (and feel certain) that it will be remedied quickly... but it is not just Carnival and NO reason to cause mass hysteria or not cruise on Carnival. IMHO, It seems that anytime something bad happens in regards to Carnival, there will always be a loyal follower from one of the other lines come over and post all about it here... even though it was a main article on the CC homepage and there were already 3 threads on the same issue earlier in the day :rolleyes: It is not something that is common, considering the number of ships in the fleet and the number of cruises each year... they are inspected at least twice each year, so I think most of us can rest assured that when there is a problem found, on ANY line, it will be found and remedied quickly... I did a stint with one of our health inspectors years back and was terribly surprised by what I saw... I guess maybe things don't surprise me as much as they should... but I will admit, this story did make me wince quite a bit :confused:

It's certainly NOT okay... and as I said, I sure hope (and feel certain) that it will be remedied quickly... but it is not just Carnival and NO reason to cause mass hysteria or not cruise on Carnival. IMHO, It seems that anytime something bad happens in regards to Carnival, there will always be a loyal follower from one of the other lines come over and post all about it here... even though it was a main article on the CC homepage and there were already 3 threads on the same issue earlier in the day

No, it's not a reason for hysteria or to boycott Carnival and no one said it was ... but there is nothing wrong with being informed and concerned when things are not up to par.

As for your other comments, I assume they are directed at me since I am the original poster. For the record, I am loyal to no particular cruise line but take an interest in them all. I've sailed on all the various lines including 9 on Carnival alone. I've posted many great things about Carnival as well as the not so great. I'm a realist and I tell it like it is, and have been doing so for many years on this board. I've been here since 2000 and would hardly call myself a "loyal follower" to any of the individual cruise line boards. I am a loyal follower of Cruise Critic in general.

As for other posts on the same subject, I did not see them or I wouldn't have started another thread.

Ernie

I have only sailed twice so far on CArnival, but both times I saw open tubs of ice with scoops for passengers to use on the lido deck. Last cruise, I asked to speak to the supervisor ofthe area. I informed him that I had been a preventive medicine inspector in the U.S. Navy, and that ice is one of the most common means of transmitting disease aboard a ship. Ice scoops should be sanitized each time they are used and users should wear plastic gloves, along with good handwashing practices.

Ice is a perfect place for bacteria to hide out, although most pathogenic bacteria don't reproduce rapidly at cold temperatures, they sure do when they get in our bodies.

Anyway, the supervisor told me that when the buffet gets busy, the ice machines can't keep up, so they have to put out the ice tubs. I insisted that it was a sure way to get a shipload of sick passengers. HE appologized, and I didn't see the ice tubs used for the remainder of the cruise.

Please keep an eye out for this practice on future cruises, and bring it to the attention of the crew if you see it.

I think they need better education/training, and the training needs to be up to American standards.

Thankfully, I just read the CDC posts today!

DH and I both noticed during the cruise that dishes and utensils were very clean. DH noticed bowls being inspected individually by a worker before they were placed in the buffet line. A buffet prep cook/server sneezed into hand/arm and IMMEDIATELY removed his gloves and washed his hands at the sink before donning new gloves and returning to work! I have a feeling that this was actually a good cruise to be on, since they had to clean up their act to pass another inspection! The original was 10/17.

Archived